• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HS Football... time to start touting your town teams!

dfv87

I start with a shout out to our Becker Bulldogs... after losing a heartbreaker to 6A Minnetonka in week 1 (At Minnetonka lost by 1 on a FG as time expired) the Dawgs have been on a rampage crushing teams in the Granite Ridge Conf. They took down a 4-0 Albany team last week by 3-4 scores and look to be a team to be on a mission for tourney time!

I am concerned that the passing game which they use so effectively will be limited as the state semis and finals will all be outside vs inside with the dome... but they need to get there first.

I am in Iowa but our local team, Sioux Center, is playing really well. Ranked #3 in the state, they play the #2 ranked team away this Friday. We will find out where they stand.

My HS (Hutchinson) is 5-0, scored 245 pts while allowing 22. Looks like they are on their way to #3 in a row this year. I dont follow them much, but I should considering the school my kids go to hasnt won a HS football game in 3 years and are 0-5 now staring down the barrel of another winless season.

Coaching is the BIGGEST component here. Get a good coach, have success then you get the kids interested at a young age. THIS is what Hutchinson AND many of the other schools have been able to do for years.

I grew up in Hutchinson and after college moved to Cedar Rapids, IA, and eventually back to MN where I live in Eden Prairie. I guess if I liked watching high school football, I'd be in heaven -- considering each of those towns have teams ranked 1 or 2 in their respective states (in their conferences).

I sort of like how Hutchinson does it, with home-grown players and good coaching. With Eden Prairie, to me it seems cheap. It's more like a college, with enrollment over 4000 students and recruiting players from throughout the metro besides. In fact, I think their star running back this year just transferred in from some other random metro school so he could have better scout/college viewership at his games. While I don't fault the kid for doing that kind of thing and helping themselves out, I just think it's a bit of a cheap way to have a good football team versus how the out-state teams like Hutch who do it without the benefit of open enrollment helping them out.

I am in Iowa but our local team, Sioux Center, is playing really well. Ranked #3 in the state, they play the #2 ranked team away this Friday. We will find out where they stand.

I grew up in boyden, hows siouxland conference?

In fact, I think their star running back this year just transferred in from some other random metro school so he could have better scout/college viewership at his games. While I don't fault the kid for doing that kind of thing and helping themselves out, I just think it's a bit of a cheap way to have a good football team versus how the out-state teams like Hutch who do it without the benefit of open enrollment helping them out.

The MSHSL changed the rules on sport eligibility due to open enrollment. Assuming this student "open enrolled" he would have to sit out a year, but if he "now lived" in the district then its fair game. Kinda shady I agree, but when you think about it Warroad has been doing this for decades with their hockey program. Good young hockey player, Marvin has a job for your mom/dad.

Aanderud, we must have gone to school together. I bet you are younger than me. I recall my brother having some Aanderud's his age. Hmm.

Also one of the reasons eden prarie is so good when grant accepted the coaching job he had to be promised from the district that the town and school would never be divided or split up as to dilute the talent pool from town between 2 schools.

Cambridge isanti football. Used to be the one of the best. Unfortunately, not anymore.

Belle Plaine doing OK, one loss so far. I have yet to make it to a game yet though.

2 loss' s actually.

DTRO's Jordan team, 4-1 on the year Beat the Tigers a couple weeks ago for their 2nd loss. Jordans star running back rushed for like 270 yds.

I officiated a Hutchinson game early in the year and they are insanely good again in 4A this year.

• 1 month later...

Well it is Semi Final weekend coming up...

and I of course will start with my Becker Bulldogs VS Stewartville... I wish both teams good luck but I am pulling for the Dawgs obviously.

Other 4A semi is Hutch and DeLaSalle, I know the boys want another shot at Hutch after losing by 1 Pt at Hutch last year, but whomever we get a chance to play (we have to win I know) will be a fun matchup. HAte to see teams not be able to open the whole playbook due to weather but this is MN I guess... As long as the footing is good the teams will have to deal with it. The other classes... I will let you all debate it.

Both Hutch and Glencoe are not far from me. I believe Hutch could go all the way. Glencoe has been one of the top teams in the state for the last years but this year they have their issues. But, here we are and one more win and they will play for the title again.

I grew up in Hutchinson and after college moved to Cedar Rapids, IA, and eventually back to MN where I live in Eden Prairie. I guess if I liked watching high school football, I'd be in heaven -- considering each of those towns have teams ranked 1 or 2 in their respective states (in their conferences).

I sort of like how Hutchinson does it, with home-grown players and good coaching. With Eden Prairie, to me it seems cheap. It's more like a college, with enrollment over 4000 students and recruiting players from throughout the metro besides. In fact, I think their star running back this year just transferred in from some other random metro school so he could have better scout/college viewership at his games. While I don't fault the kid for doing that kind of thing and helping themselves out, I just think it's a bit of a cheap way to have a good football team versus how the out-state teams like Hutch who do it without the benefit of open enrollment helping them out.

Totally agree Brian. I cheer against many of the schools that do all the recruiting that they do. Sad part is, the MSHSL allows it.

Sioux Center, IA, is heading to the state semifinals on Friday. They had to go on the road and beat the #1 team 22-21 and then the #2 team 14-0. Its exciting. They were ranked #3. Go Warriors! If they win the state champ we will get something cool like hoodies or something that celebrates it

Well Zepman, what do ya think? Am a graduate of STMA, and saw my first game last weekend where they dismantled Bemidji. Overall the team is pretty small, but quick. Decent ground game, with a very poised QB, and probably good coaching....seeing how they made adjustments in the 2nd half. Suspect this will be the state title........

STMA is always tough but they also have Mankato West in there and don't overlook them either.

We (Becker) used to play Glencoe every year for many years and some years we played in the state playoffs too. Great Program.

Hutch... we just want another shot at, they have been the top dogs in the past couple seasons but that is what we play for, to play/beat the best.

Love the playoffs!

STMA is always tough but they also have Mankato West in there and don't overlook them either.

They meet this weekend in the semis, not trying to be a homer, and saw that Zep might have some knowledge on West. Always a fun time of year for the schools/towns still in the thick of it. Will be a little weird not seeing them in the dome though.....

Sioux Center, IA, is heading to the state semifinals on Friday. They had to go on the road and beat the #1 team 22-21 and then the #2 team 14-0. Its exciting. They were ranked #3. Go Warriors! If they win the state champ we will get something cool like hoodies or something that celebrates it

Good luck to your community, I grew up in Boyden.

I went to Burnsville but they were knocked out by the evil giant. I was routing for Rosemount after that because it would be nice to see a small town team in 6A for once instead of Eden Prairie, Maple Grove, Totino, the regulars. They lost a heart breaker to Lakeville North the other night. The way they were rolling I was a little surprised that L'ville North gave them that much trouble.

Pretty crazy moving all the game south too. It looks like the Hutch game will be in Prior Lake on Saturday. I hope the fields aren't too frozen and the kids have a injury free game.

QB from Rosemount wasnt healthy, thats why they lost. Lakeville North is a solid team. I'll take a South Suburban or Lake team over anybody this time of year.

Small world! Sioux center played the #10 ranked team in the semifinal and won 47-7. With about a minute left in the first quarter Sioux Center had a 7-0 lead and the ball 1st and 10 at their own 16. By the end of the quarter it was 27-0 and basically over. An 84 yard run, a Pick6 and fumble return for a TD. Both turnovers on the first play of the drive, yikes

Becker won so we are psyched to play DeLaSalle! we look forward to the game. Congrats to DLS on dethroning the Tigers of Hutch... we wanted a shot at that title also but we should have a great game also. I know they want revenge for last year in the state tourney. Good luck to both teams!