• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Cleaning Diamond Plate-How?

Hawg

This is my first experience with diamond plate aluminum on a house. It looked great last year when it was new but looks like total dump this year. Is there an easy way to clean this stuff that won't take the finish off the siding or frame? I think if I had to do it over again I would use straight aluminum sheets and applied POR 15 to it.

I have used a product called alumabrite on my boat and you use it like wax and it will clean it up. Or you could use JV' best aluminum boat cleaner.

I looked that stuff up but didn't see any warnings about paint. Is it safe? I'm worried as it rinses it could take off the bed liner on the frame or spot up the siding. I just read a post that says people use Coke to clean it. That means that it must be Phosphoric acid that is the product to use, right? Maybe that's what alumabright is.?.

yes it is here is another product to you could use I found on you tube from wash safe industries I found on you tube.

We used brass o in the fire dept and elbow grease. One thought is go to a semi truck detailing shop and ask them how they clean the semi's. Those guys know all the tricks. good luck

Since I wanted to get my house back together and the tires back on so I went with wheel cleaner for polished aluminum wheels. My hope is to try it this afternoon. There's a UTube video about what some Fire Depts use but when I called our Chief here he had never seen it. Next summer mine is getting a POR 15 finish, diamond plate is a hassle and it's location behind wheels makes it even harder to clean. It looks horrible the way it is. That plan could change if the wheel cleaner works but then it has to be waxed from what I've been told.

I started using Gibbs Brand Lubricant last year. Its the best product I have found for diamond plate, chrome and is safe-good for paint . Cleans and then protects for months. Works awesome on winches and cables, no rust ever.

I liked it so much I became a dealer for the mn area. If you are near North suburbs area PM me, Otherwise a search will find many dealers selling online.

I looked your lubricant up online and I have to say it's hard to believe one product can do all that. Has anyone used this Gibbs product?

Boar, I think you need to get the oxidation off first. Don't I? Maybe I'm over thinking this whole adventure.

I know they make some big claims! It really is the real deal..I use it on everything, but bought it originally to keep raw steel furniture i build from flash rusting.

The polished aluminum wheel cleaner worked pretty good and didn't hurt the paint on the siding or bedliner but the diamond plate is pitted now and I don't think anything will make it right again.

Use acid get it off imediatly and get it off the paint before it reacts act very quickly and it should get rid of the streaking.

I tried everything. I tried every detailer made, I had a Harley so bought tried them all, and nothing worked. I tried chrome polish, phosphoric acid, car waxes and polishes, and even a buffer but it looks as bad this year as it looked good new. This is only the second year! I better try Clownshacks stuff and if that doesn't work then it's POR15 next summer.

If you try clownshacks product make sure you report back with results. Aluminum Treadbrite is a rather soft material and any even slightly corrosive substance will soak into the pores of the aluminum and stain it, or even cause pits if left for an extended time. I had a piece laying flat that had a small amount of beer leak onto it. Even that caused a stain that couldn't be buffed out. It sounds like clownshacks product might be better used proactively as a protectant. Good luck.

Plus if it's a petroleum based lubricant it probably has a little shine to it. I'm surprised this hasn't been an issue for more people with diamond plate. There's no doubt it's the road salt doing it but everybody must be in the same boat unless you clean it every time you go on the road. OK Clownshack, how do I order some?

I try to hit the car wash about 2-3 times during the winter to give it a quick rinse. It's been working so far.

so i know that the "truck detailers" make a mix of polish and some gas. They put it on and then buff it off. My problem is No habla esponla.

My 2007 fish house has the aluminum diamond plate and on the passenger side rotting on the bottom. I wonder if it's from salt or a combination of salt and possible contact with the steel frame? When it's real bad will replace and try to put something between the aluminum and steel frame.

I'd bet it's more from the contact of dissimilar metals than the salt. Although the salt can certainly pit and rot at aluminum to a point.

When the frame is used as a ground for the electrical system, the interaction between the two metals is also sped up.

But that would only be when using 12 volt from the tow vehicle right? I know my 110 from a generator is only grounded by the generator itself, does a 12 volt system without the vehicle ground to the frame? Just curious.

I think some 12V systems go both ways.

The WCFO inverter/converter/charger that I have in my ice cabin does have a large gauge wire that is connected to the frame. I'm not sure if that's for 12 or 120V sides or both. I haven't taken the time to find out or think about redesigning it.

I hadn't thought about the correlation until until it was mentioned.

Got my two cans og gibbs brand lubricant today, in a day or two I will give a before and after picture report on the product if the forum dont mind.