• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to archery

grapeapplepie

Okay so I'm pretty sure I've gone about this all wrong. A couple years ago I purchased a couple of new bows online without every firing a bow. From everything I've read on this forum I should have went to a shop and shot as many bows as possible and chose from there. I recognize my mistake now.

In your estimation, would most shops be willing to work with me in finding one that works well for me and either allow me to trade those two bows in or to trade one bow for money towards accessories? Maybe my best bet is to resell them on the auction site and take the cash in and start over?

The two bows I bought are:

2010 Diamond Iceman FLX

2010 Diamond Black Ice FLX

Most archery shops will do some kind of trade in for your bows and/or accessories. I would suggest calling beforehand and seeing if they can do anything for you.

What is wrong with the bows you bought?

You are going to get killed on trade-in value. The Diamond bows are probably perfectly fine, maybe just need to be tuned or adjusted to fit you properly if that is the issue.

Those are pretty good bows. And easily adjustable. You just need to get cam mods and a Diamond retailer will most likely have those in stock or can order them for you at the minimum. That same retailer should be able to help you get them set up for you and give you some help in learning proper form, etc. If I were you, I'd take them both somewhere, see if they have mods for both, pick your favorite of the 2 after shooting side by side then sell/trade the other and get/upgrade your accessories.

Those are pretty good bows. And easily adjustable. You just need to get cam mods and a Diamond retailer will most likely have those in stock or can order them for you at the minimum. That same retailer should be able to help you get them set up for you and give you some help in learning proper form, etc. If I were you, I'd take them both somewhere, see if they have mods for both, pick your favorite of the 2 after shooting side by side then sell/trade the other and get/upgrade your accessories.

When he says "mods", that's to set your correct draw length. They are right, any quality shop will be able to make sure those bows are set up properly to fit your draw length and weight.

Welcome and good luck.

Any "bow shop" will work with you because that is what they do. Most archery shops are small operations that survive on good customer service.

You didn't reeally share why you don't like the Diamond bows, but thats not for me to judge. Most shops will allow you to trade in the bows or offer them for sale on consignment. If you want to see if they can adjust the bows to make them fit you, they can definitely do that. It its a comfort thing then they will certainly help you find a bow you like.

Okay thanks for all of the replies. Cheetah, there's nothing wrong with either bow. I just got the impression after reading some of the threads on here that buying a bow is more about how it feels and is individualized to each shooter. In other words, I might find something that feels better in my hands then what I bought.

I live in the North Metro and work pretty close to a shop in Little Canada...I'll try there or make the drive to Hudson.

Thanks again

The guys at Bwana should treat you well. I haven't gone there yet, as I have a friend (former manager of a shop) who helps me out so far (in my limited bow experience) but have friends who go there and like it. My friend recommends them as well.

I have Diamond Rock 2.0 and it is now discontinued model and I really like it, shoots great and comfortable for me. Good luck!

I have a Diamond as well and it's just fine for me. Bowtech has a pretty good reputation in the industry. I agree with the other comments about shops setting up the bow to fit you. I've only been an archer for 4 seasons and most of what I have learned came with help from other archers on this forum. They are full of great suggestions, and I would take their advice anytime (and usually do quite often every season).

You never said if the bow was too short or long and by how much. At full draw you want a little bend in your bow arm. When I say full draw that's the bows complete draw. This can be tweaked a little with d loop or not and type of release. How close are you?