• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Left Handed Guns

Big Dave2

Being right handed I don't know much about left handed guns. My 14 yo son is left handed and left eye dominant but has been shooting right handed youth model shotguns, .22s, and BB guns since he was about 5. He finally has a large enough frame to start buying him some adult sized guns and I'm going to start with a new shotgun.

Would you switch him over to left handed guns? He is used to the safety on the wrong side and doesn't seem to be bothered by shells flinging out in front of him on his youth model right handed pump 20 gauge. Would he be better off in the long run to start shooting left hand guns or is it OK that he is used to right hand guns due to availability of different guns that he probably would not be able to buy if he got used to left handed?

What would you do?

Try a BPS it works very well for lefty's and the right hand guys too.

Thanks Gordie, that's a great idea for a shotgun and I'll be looking into them soon.

He also needs to get a new .22 and he has informed me that he would like a left handed bolt action in camo finish. I'll look around but I think that's going to be a tall order. We might end up going with a semi-auto for a .22 but for some reason he has it in his head that he wants a bolt.

My catfishing partner is a lefty and we found a Remington bolt action .22 in a lefty, so they are out there but I'm sure they will be few and far inbetween.

but for some reason he has it in his head that he wants a bolt.

If the kid wants a bolt action, get him a bolt action! Working the action is fun, and the knowledge that you've really gotta make every shot count is always a good thing for a youth or an adult.

If he is comfortable shooting left go for it, I shoot left and I have a side by side 12g, Browning 12g and Ithaca model 37 20g, you can find left handed bolt actions used if you know where to look, otherwise they are the same price new.

If the kid wants a bolt action, get him a bolt action! Working the action is fun, and the knowledge that you've really gotta make every shot count is always a good thing for a youth or an adult.

I'm all for the bolt action but I can't seem to locate a left hand bolt in camo finish that comes at a reasonable price. I can't see paying $500 or more for a .22. I bought my first Marlin .22 for $50.00..........

If he is left handed and left eye dominate, I would have him shoot left handed.

I went through this with our granddaughter and since she is left handed and left eye dominate, only answer at least for her was a left handed or bottom eject gun. You do want a person to shoot with the dominate eye.

I purchased a BPS shotgun with a slug barrel for my 12 year old granddaughter last summer in a youth model. Since it has the bottom eject, got for a right or left handed shooter. Great gun. The safety is also on top so it does not matter if one is right or left handed.

Yep, one used to buy a 22 for $50, not much for that anymore. I would guess a left handed 22 will be very tough to find but not impossible. I did a quick search online and found many .22 rifles for sale left handed. Mostly Ruger and new from $225-$800.00

The BPS I purchased for my granddaughter was like $800.00 in a 20 gauge but she will be able to shoot that for the rest of her life. My youngest granddaughter is right handed and if she were to decide to try deer hunting, this gun would work for her also as a righty.

From what I found, no real deals on left handed guns and very, very few around in the youth models but a few more in the adult models. They are out there.

Left handed or bottom eject guns are out there but can be very hard to find used, I looked for the 20 BPS for close to 2 months and online and never found one so I went with a new one.

I am left handed. My only left handed guns have been a 7mmm bolt and a 7mm-08 bolt. Otherwise I have shot right handed guns. I do however look for ones that have neutral stocks or come with shim kits so you can make it shoot where I am looking. I have not seen a left handed .22 I always shot the right handed ones. The main thing I make sure to do is wear eye protection as I have had powder particles get in my eye from right handed shotguns.

Mwal

I"m left handed and have shot right handed guns. Semi autos look for the thumb safety and always wear safety glsses. I was able to shoot right handed guns fine. When you start looking at centerfire it seemed to matter more. when the time comes look into TC Dimension. I purchased one a year ago andhave been impressed. For a pump shotgun i personally like the thumb safety. Best is to have them pick what they feel comfortable with.

I've been researching left hand bolt 22's ever since I made this post and settled on the Savage Mark II GL. I left work this morning and drove a couple miles over the the Lakeville GM store to see if they had one, take a look and purchase. It was 10:00 am so I figured it would be a good time to get in and get out but I was wrong. I stood by the firearms counter for 40 minutes and still hadn't been waited on. The one and only guy behind the counter was with one customer for about 30 minutes of that time and had just turned his attention to another customer (who had come in after me but that's another story). I had to get back to work so I still have the money in my pocket and no gun. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!