• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Peterson Indicted for Child Abuse

LMITOUT

This is why it was done along with Erics court cost diagnosis.

If this would have gone to trial AP found guilty, it would have been a felony even with a first time conviction and would be jail wth fine and red flagged with regards to contact with minors, the plea he is accepting amounts to petty misdemeanor with minimal fine, no jail, and nothing on file regarding kids because a first time offender. This is exactly what should have been happening all along and is the norm within the justice system for the given scenario.

The vikings will have no choice but to play him if allowed by NFL.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amateurfishing

• upnorth

• LMITOUT

• CaptainMusky

The vikings will have no choice but to play him if allowed by NFL.

Uhh....yeah the team always has a choice. They can sit him on the bench if they want, just like they do with backup quarterbacks. They could even cut him. There's no such thing as "no choice but to play him".

Of course they have a choice, but wouldn't you think they'd take more heat for not playing him than they would for playing him?

Of course they have a choice, but wouldn't you think they'd take more heat for not playing him than they would for playing him?

There are kids involved. I have a feeling there's a lot of fans (and potentially sponsors) who won't look at it very objectively. So they're going to say he really needs to pay for what he's done.

Folks won't necessarily consider the fact that he's already paid 1/2 year of his salary (running backs average less than 10 years on the job, so that's like 5% of his career earnings) for a crime that most similar non-NFL-ers probably would have almost no fine at all. Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

He had the absolute worst timing, being right after the Rice situation. Last year or the year before he would have plea bargained immediately and probably been playing 4 weeks later after a short suspension. IMHO, after 8 weeks out (assuming he pays that salary back), he's done the crime, and paid the time, and I'd guess he'll be playing in 12 days, but you just never know.

Im pretty sick of seeing Asiata back there. AP is ok in my book. But Im not one of these self righteous fools that pray on others wrong doings.

Cmon guys,you know what I meant, a PR nightmare if they dont.

Of course, and my response is above. I said I am not sure whether the majority of fans or sponsors are going to agree that he's paid for his crime. Remember just 8 weeks ago there were calls for him to be released by many folks. Nothing like skipping due process. Many of those same folks are likely to say he hasn't been punished hard enough for what he's done. If the vikings feel like there's going to be more backlash from letting him play than not, they'll leave him on the bench.

I believe he has paid for his crime, and I think he'll be playing -- but hey I'm just one fan. We'll just have to see what the NFL says first of course (I don't think they'll drag it out past the bye week, but you never know), and even then the public opinion in the following few days will dictate which way the Vikes go.

I believe AP has been paid during this entire time, probably saved a few bumps and bruises too with our O-line!!!

Yes, he has collected a salary. That's been widely reported. Roughly 700k per week. But the league is not going to let him get back on the field without a 'suspension' of some kind (without pay).

Some sources say that one potential offer on the table is that Peterson would forfeit the 8 weeeks' salary he has collected while on the exemption list, essentially turning those 8 weeks into a 'suspension' without pay, rather than starting a 4-game suspension next week.

Of course the NFL commissioner would have to agree to such terms -- but considering the normal suspension would be 4 to 6 weeks max for such an incident, it seems likely that sides could come to some agreement.

Already reading reports that it's a "joke" because he's only paying a $4000 fine on twitter and other outlets. Uhh....yeah, $4000 plus the millions in salary he's likely going to have to forfeit (either retroactively or in a forthcoming suspension or fine from the league).

Apparently folks figure since he's a millionaire he should be fined more heavily than average-joes who do the same thing to their kids in Texas.

I see things like "any regular guy would get much worse" on twitter. But, reports that were written way back when this started (before there was any talk of plea bargains) said he would be fined much less than the $10k maximum, and likely get no jail time, assuming it went the way most first-time offenses like this go. So, not sure what these people think is appropriate.

I think it's just hard for folks to think objectively sometimes and compare apples to apples when there are celebrities involved.

A "regular" guy wod not get any more or less.

I stated from beginning probation and fine is the norm for first time offender and it stands true here....and the fines I. Our justice system are not on % of income like our taxes are.

This one is certainly going to be a mess. Goddell is still reeling from the backlash he got for the Ray Rice fiasco and to a lesser extent AP. The Vikings likely have no idea which way the wind is blowing when it comes to public opinion on the matter. My guess is it's about a 50/50 split among fans (both nationally and locally) who feel he has served a reasonable punishment and those who don't think he should be able to play at all this year.

So Goddell probably doesn't want to make a decision, nor do the Vikings, on how soon AP sees the field again. If I had to guess, I would say the league makes him sit a few more games, just to show how tough they are - but I wouldn't put money on it.

Personally, I think if they take some of his pay away he has served his punishment. The money pales in comparison to what really matters to AP - the all time NFL rushing record and his reputation - which are both down the toilet now.

This one is certainly going to be a mess. Goddell is still reeling from the backlash he got for the Ray Rice fiasco and to a lesser extent AP. The Vikings likely have no idea which way the wind is blowing when it comes to public opinion on the matter. My guess is it's about a 50/50 split among fans (both nationally and locally) who feel he has served a reasonable punishment and those who don't think he should be able to play at all this year.

So Goddell probably doesn't want to make a decision, nor do the Vikings, on how soon AP sees the field again. If I had to guess, I would say the league makes him sit a few more games, just to show how tough they are - but I wouldn't put money on it.

Personally, I think if they take some of his pay away he has served his punishment. The money pales in comparison to what really matters to AP - the all time NFL rushing record and his reputation - which are both down the toilet now.

I'd guess your 50/50 split on fans who think he needs a harsher punishment is as good a guess as any. And you're right about the reputation and the record both being what he cares about -- the single season rushing record is unattainable at this point, and he's aging...so probably never has a realistic shot at it again. His reputation is never going to be back to what it was.

I'm still thinking in the back of my mind that the timing of all this is very convenient, and probably not by coincidence. He didn't have to do the plea bargain this week because his court date wasn't set until Dec 1. The bye week made it a very convenient time to do it if the league and team want to allow him back on the field. I suspect that the league and the team have already decided they're most likely going to let him play immediately. They will definitely feel out the public opinion before announcing it, and probably put together some well-worded press releases to cover the fact that it's 'just' a misdemeanor and he's already missed half a season, blah blah.

The NFL players association has already mentioned that they expect him to be treated like any other player convicted of a misdemeanor -- which considering he's already missed 8 games, would basically just include a fine at this point. I think the league would have a tough time keeping him out any longer without a lawsuit on their hands.

That being said, still no guarantee that he's playing soon. I think the team could leave him benched, and they would if public opinion is bad enough that they deem it detrimental to the team's reputation to play him. I'd give it 80% probability that he's playing in 12 days. We'll see.

This is a lose lose proposition I think. In the court of public opinion of those NOT football fans and not from the south they think he should be burned at the stake. To others they may see this as someone not knowing better. I say the number of those against him outweigh those supporting. The league is going to tiptoe around this one and may let the vikings make the first move.

Yeah, the Vikes and the league are hoping the other one blinks first. If the Vikings didn't take so much heat from sponsors prior to suspending AP, I think it would be an easy decision for them to take him back.

I dunno fellas. I don't see AP on the field in the next couple weeks.

The commish will be in court early next week testifying on the ray rice deal. Then he has to make a decision aboot AP. Then the vokes have decisions to make and I'm sure they've been chatting with the league office.

This will be conidered a domestic violence issue and that's a big deal in the NFL lately.

I see the commish and vikings taking some time to make sure they get it right. Even the NFLPA is saying it may take time.

I dunno fellas. I don't see AP on the field in the next couple weeks.

The commish will be in court early next week testifying on the ray rice deal. Then he has to make a decision aboot AP. Then the vokes have decisions to make and I'm sure they've been chatting with the league office.

This will be conidered a domestic violence issue and that's a big deal in the NFL lately.

I see the commish and vikings taking some time to make sure they get it right. Even the NFLPA is saying it may take time.

A "regular" guy wod not get any more or less.

A "regular" guy would get less. Hitting a kid with a switch is normal behavior for "regular" guys in the south and it happens constantly. The only reason Peterson is being charged is because of who he is.

Domestic violence under the NEW policy is a 6 game suspension. It's not clear that he'd be punished under the new poicy, since this happened before that policy was instated. Even if he is, he's already been out 8 games. I've read reports that indicate that a case COULD be made that if he pays a 6-game suspension worth of fine, that the fine along with his 8 missed games would constitute the requisite sentence.

I dont know man. We are talking about a 4 year old kid here and PLENTY of pictures to prove the actions. I personally dont have a problem with the whipping, but when it draws blood, and he is stuffing leaves in the mouth that is an image that doesnt sit well with lots of people including me. I tink you might be underestimating how badly Goddell needs to get this right or there is gonna be huge pressure for him to be gone. I see him making an example out of Peterson and then deal with the fallout from the NFLPA, etc later.

I think if there were no pictures he would be playing next Sunday, but just like with the RR knockout the visual evidence just enrages people and the media too much to let them off easy. If I were betting I would say NFL suspends him starting now. Then they say all the other games he missed before were voluntary by the Vikes. Personally, the shame alone not to mention the money have been punishment enough.

I dont know man. We are talking about a 4 year old kid here and PLENTY of pictures to prove the actions. I personally dont have a problem with the whipping, but when it draws blood, and he is stuffing leaves in the mouth that is an image that doesnt sit well with lots of people including me. I tink you might be underestimating how badly Goddell needs to get this right or there is gonna be huge pressure for him to be gone. I see him making an example out of Peterson and then deal with the fallout from the NFLPA, etc later.

I think if there were no pictures he would be playing next Sunday, but just like with the RR knockout the visual evidence just enrages people and the media too much to let them off easy. If I were betting I would say NFL suspends him starting now. Then they say all the other games he missed before were voluntary by the Vikes. Personally, the shame alone not to mention the money have been punishment enough.

Buck, I think I'd agree with almost everything you said IF he was pleading this way 3 weeks from now (when his trial is expected to begin). I'd have said there's no way he's playing this season as goodell would want to make an example out of him to show everyone he 'got it right'. However, I have to think there's a reason he's pleading this far in advance, and I think he was dangled a carrot of being able to play.

If they were going to be tougher on him, surely his high powered lawyers would be in the know there. You know they have to be negotiating with the league and the team through this whole plea bargain process. Anyway, if they had indications that he wasn't going to play anyway, then I'd think they would have advised him to just stay quiet, remain on the exempt list for 3 more weeks (getting 2.1 million more in free pay), and THEN plead out just prior to the trial starting Dec 1.

I just don't see there being an incentive for him to plead out the week before the bye if he's not going to play anyway. Promises might have been made to get him in now.

We'll see soon enough.

I sure hope your right. I would love to see him blow past Jared Allen on the way to a 300+ game in Chicago.

It will be in the Vikings best interest to let him play a couple games this year to showcase him for an offseason trade. If they dont play him, he will have little value, and therefore he would have to be cut to rid his contract, and we get nothing for him. I am thinking the league reinstates him, with paying back 6 weeks of pay, the Vikings will leave him benched for a couple weeks, to allow things to cool off, then he will come out and be the starter for the last few weeks of the season. Knowing, if he tears up the field, he will get paid accordingly, if he doesnt do anything, he will be cut, and will have to be resigned, for a much smaller contract.

I personally think this years salary should all be donated to a children's abuse, or domestic abuse charity. It isnt like the NFL needs his fine money.

According to the NFL, fines go toward retired player programs and charities the league is associated with. Not sure if any are related to domestic abuse. But supposedly fines don't just go into the leagues bank account.

AP will be in a Vikings uniform AND playing the next time they hit the field (probably starting) The NFL will make some excuse as his sitting out as his suspension (time served) and will heavily fine him. The Vikings will follow their lead. This has all been mapped out since the day he was charged. Also there will be more cheering than booing.

AP will be in a Vikings uniform AND playing the next time they hit the field (probably starting) The NFL will make some excuse as his sitting out as his suspension (time served) and will heavily fine him. The Vikings will follow their lead. This has all been mapped out since the day he was charged. Also there will be more cheering than booing.

There's a good deal of specific language in the CBA that supports your thoughts exactly. I'd say there's at least a 75% chance we see AP against Chicago at this point. There will be plenty of blowback and pitchforks for Goodell, but he simply has to point to the CBA and say "this was what we all agreed on." I'd say we'll hear by Friday of this week...

The NFL's biggest mistake in all of this is not having set guidelines for handling player discipline. Its all handled on a whim based on trying to appease the owners, fans, media, and general public. They hand out one decision but will change it the second the media and public show any displeasure.

Its in their own best interest to sit down with the players union and put together a rigid set of guidelines for handling discipline for various offenses. That way when the next situation comes up (and there will be another one) they can easily pass down their decision and point to the established guidelines that have been negotiated by both parties. No handing out one punishment only to change it after gauging public opinion.

How much blood is enuff?....Peterson's time off and a major fine is a lot more than any non-NFL person would get, even if it was a felony with more injury involved.......Get real!