• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Road Pass

srj

I noticed the new owners at Rogers have raised the road pass to $15.00. There is also a yearly rate that will certainly be a good deal for frequent users. Any other road operators care to comment on this years road pass costs?

I wonder if last years brutal lake conditions prompted the increase? Hoping for a much different winter this year.

I think this is still a very fair price for a well maintained road and know that the new owners of rogers plan on covering a lot more miles of road also. It also could have a little bit to do with the brutal winter last year. Say a little prayer for lots of ice and very little snow. Good luck fishing... up north

Gonna take all that extra cash to finally plow their road all the way to the north shore. I heard the fish up there dont like Billy Idol though.

Yearly costs to plow and maintain these rods for us to enjoy the day on the lake is spendy for those resort owners. I think we would all be shocked if we knew what the winter costs are for keeping these roads cleared for all of us.

Can't imagine all the work these people do just to bridge a road and watch the ice for bad area's and mark all the roads so can find our way on and off the lake.

I have no issue with a $15 road pass. Gas, trucks and plows with maintenance is not cheap. I would never expect any business to not make some money doing what they do. They do not spend the funds they do just so we can have an easy time of it driving to our fishing spot.

I enjoy going to lake and using the plowed roads, easier on my truck and the wheelhouse and I can enjoy my trip versus shoveling out the truck blazing my own trail.

I am sure the road game isn't a money maker but I am guessing they aren't losing a lot of money on them otherwise there wouldn't be so many of them on the lake! Obviously there are a lot of expenses into maintaining a road all winter but if done right I am sure there is money to be made or at least break even on the road but gain $$$ by people using the road buying bait, renting houses, eating and drinking at the bar etc...

I seen another road had a fee increase this year as well. I won't post it, but it seems this might be the norm at a few of the establishments. I think last year took its toll...?

Gotta pay to play! Or go somewhere else...

I like that they have a weekend rate that is a little more reasonable than the daily as most times I am out for the weekend and if I come back to shore at all it is just to properly dispose of eaten fish. Paying 2-3 times the daily rate for a weekend out on the lake I don't care for if I am not entering and exiting daily.

The resort is just making the adjustment necessary for keeping roads in good shape and expand the road system. I see it from the advantage of being an outfitter and living on the ice for several years there is always the need to build road. I am convinced the price of gas is never going down and wheel houses are here to stay. With winter fishing getting more comfortable there will always be more involved with keeping roads accessible for everyone's enjoyment.

Cant wait to get to red for the winter. Road passes are just part of the equation. Ill pay what ever it is. Gas, minnows, food, beer, sorry got that backwards. Beer gas minnows food, missalaneous.. whats another 10-20 bucks. The plow man outa where i go i end tipping besides the access fee. Access fees are very insignificant to me.

• 1 month later...

Charging $15 per vehicle is not going to make them rich by my calculations. Figure 100 vehicles a day or 700 a week (give or take a few). Then figure a roughly 9-10 week drivable walleye season and you get roughly $100K. Then subtract cost of vehicles, fuel, labor, insurance, future capital savings, etc. Then figure 8 to 10 snow plowable snow events including 3 or 4 big dumps with wind plus service calls and everything else they do for fisherman that 100K quickly gets spent. I know their are some weekend days when the count of vehicles is a lot higher, but weekday traffic would be a lot lighter

As far as I'm concerned being able to drive to a lake, get a supply of minnows, some fishing information and having a miles long road plowed is a bargain at $15.00. I'm more concerned about the cost of my fuel to get there.

Then take into consideration tax write offs on the trucks, equipment, insurance, upkeep on equipment, other in-house business expenses. Not to mention all the other deductions I can't think of and they aren't in as bad of shape as you make it out to be. Don't take me wrong, I appreciate everything they do and gladly pay it, but without customers, none of that stuff matters-so, it goes both ways!

Down Deep,

It would be nice if we seen even half of that but your right given the choice to plow more road given everything else that goes into a trip is something a resort has to consider. The costs that Cigar Guy refers to are just expenses. Write offs that we see in the movies where the mega rich by air planes and fancy boats are just not in the fishing business. Now if a guy could buy a nice truck and use it plowing and park it in the garage the rest of the year that would be what your talking about but take a close look at a plow truck next time you see one you will agree that's not going to happen.

Costs have gone up gas, repairs there not going down. We think this as not a place to cut a corner, more places are looking at not allowing access and just doing privates. I don't see anything wrong with it just allow yourself to be able to do it. No one we have talked wants to kiss shore they want to spread out in multiple directions and a guy driving a few hours hopes that's the case. So why not provide that.

Hey Tom you still down by St. Cloud living the dream? Ran into to Bob a couple of times last year. He was partaking in a little fishing time. Every time we head to the land of milk and honey we think about you guys.

I am glad someone is willing to keep roads open all over the lake for me to use when I wish. If it snows hard, they are out there getting the roads open so one can travel whever the roads are going.

if it's $15 a day, so be it. With these guys doing what they do, we then cannot do what we do, go fishing with the wheelhouse and go where we would like without being all jammed together in one group. great for a party but not so much for great fishing.

The road pass is such a small percentage of the total cost to go fishing for a few days and again, safe roads are a plus.

How would we go on the lake without the road pass?? Again, happy to pay as I like to play.

I am glad someone is willing to keep roads open all over the lake for me to use when I wish. If it snows hard, they are out there getting the roads open so one can travel whever the roads are going.

X2, I really appreciate the job they do to give us access to great fishing and willingness to help you if needed.

if it's $15 a day, so be it. With these guys doing what they do, we then cannot do what we do, go fishing with the wheelhouse and go where we would like without being all jammed together in one group. great for a party but not so much for great fishing.

The road pass is such a small percentage of the total cost to go fishing for a few days and again, safe roads are a plus.

How would we go on the lake without the road pass?? Again, happy to pay as I like to play.