• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My first bear!

rkhinrichs

Here is the story! I was running 3 baits in the ely area. going out pretty much every other night. I had two baits I put out on the 15th that I thought for sure were my top two baits. My third bait I put out on the 16th which i called my "sleeper" it was off a clear cut that was full of blueberries. It was a jack pine point going into a swamp. I figured it be ok but not my top bait sight. here are some trail cam pics of the bait sight! full-37665-48793-stc_0251.jpg

full-37665-48794-stc_0309.jpg

september 1st- I got in the stand around 3:30 at the truck I shot my bow and I was dialed in! I walked into the bait sight and it was hit again! I knew since it was raining all day, that the bears would be moving. About 4:45 I hear something and 20 yards behind me there was a bear. I could not get a shot at him with my bow! The bear seemed to be sent checking the area pretty hard. He got really nervous after about 5 minutes of being in the brush. He just had enough and ran off. I thought that was weird. but no sooner then that, i hear a twig break behind me where my bait is and there is a bigger bear. The bear saw me move, and ran off! ( i moved way to fast!! rookie mistake!)

At 5:20 i hear something behind me and the little guy comes back. This time he is much calmer and is eating on the ground behind me. He starts to make his way to the right to me. Heading right to left of my bait! i range a tree 17 yards and figure this is my shot as he walks behind some jack pine. I pull back. i grunt at him and then I see the arrow disappear behind his shoulder. he runs 40 yards and i hear 3 death moans!!!

If anyone was in the ely area they prob heard me yell!

full-37665-48795-10494567_10204392324390

full-37665-48796-unnamed.jpg

Here is the bear I think I harvested on my trail cam! I called him P.B. because I put peanut butter on a tree and a bear was licking and scratching the tree. which i thought was pretty cool.

full-37665-48797-10410357_10204392325790

Ha Ha hey good for you!!!! What a thrill getting your first bear. Congrats to you. He will be a great eater too. Great story. One you will never forget... Thanks for putting the whole event on here for us.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

peanut butter is also a PB.... Personal Best smile congrats !

rkhinrich, I don't think you seemed to excited! laugh

Why were all the Bears behind you? Would you change your setup next time? Congrats! wink

Leech- the wind was at my face. The bait was up wind from me by 21 yards. I was only 15 ft up the tree, so not to high up. The bear I shot was a small boar. I had a sow and three cubs and I think a bigger boar hitting the bait as well. That is why I think the smaller boar came down wind, to scent check the bait and make sure he was safe. Then a bigger bear showed up and got the heck out of their.

At that moment like i said... I heard something and whipped my head back to see a bigger bear run off. My bear came back because he was still hungry and did not smell that bigger bear. Your thoughts?

Leech- the wind was at my face. The bait was up wind from me by 21 yards. I was only 15 ft up the tree, so not to high up. The bear I shot was a small boar. I had a sow and three cubs and I think a bigger boar hitting the bait as well. That is why I think the smaller boar came down wind, to scent check the bait and make sure he was safe. Then a bigger bear showed up and got the heck out of their.

At that moment like i said... I heard something and whipped my head back to see a bigger bear run off. My bear came back because he was still hungry and did not smell that bigger bear. Your thoughts?

Ahh, got it. We had many bears out of the 13 our party has taken over the years come in down wind or do circles before committing to come in to the bait. We have had some funny and scary-hairy times out there. One that comes to mind which was kind of funny to me, but not one of my buddies. He thought at one bait he would just use a ground blind in stead of a tree stand. He was sitting on a stool watching his bait one evening when he had this sense that something was watching him. He turned to look at his back trail just to be face to face with a Bear at eye ball level that came in down wind. After he crapped himself, he put up a tree stand the next day! laugh

Very cool, congrats!

Would it be accurate to assume that's a last year's cub, roughly 1.5 years old?

I'm not picking on the bear by any means, I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. I shot a sow 2 years ago that had 3 with her that size that I assumed were from the previous year. I'm just wondering if I'm sizing them right.

Congrats

I have shot a few about the same size and the have been 3.5 to 4 years old.

Lets us know how hold once you send the tooth into the DNR.

Get some summer sausage made up taste great.

We shot two bears a couple years ago that dresses 130 ish. Dnr sent back 3.5 years old on both bears. I would guess your bear will be 3 or 4 years old. A dandy for sure. Good work.

boy grind the fresh buerge by it self no pork or beef,slapp eron the grill and it'''l be the best burger yuve ever had.

I will second that. Num num.