• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish house bathroom

elkoholic

So in my bathroom of the Shack I have been using kitty liter in the pail. It works fine I guess was just wondering what other people use? ? Better ideas?

I use the Double Doodie bags from Cabelas or REI. They have chemical in them to kill the smell and are double wall zip lock bags.

I use my house as a camper in the summer so we got a Thetford Curve electric flush porti potty. I can say it cost a bit more (120.00 ish) but the thing is awesome! I've used some mid range ones and there way to low and crack and creek like there going to brake on you. The Curve is just as high as my house toilets at 17" and solid as a rock. I also bought the hold down plate so it doesn't slide around when your pulling the house around. In the winter I will run RV antifreeze instead of water in it.

I am wondering too what people do. I bought a drop down house that has flush toilet and am wondering what do you do in winter. I have seen the double dootie bags and they look great but seems spendy if the are single use. I was thinking of using a heavy duty garbage bag and tossing that in a dootie bag in

5 gallon bucket to throw away when I get home.

Also do you pee outside or does dnr frown upon that?

Loving the drop down for camping cant wait to fish out of it.

The double doodie bags are good for about a day with two people. Size wise you could probably go a couple days easy but there is only so much odor eliminating chemical in them. If you only urinate in them you could go a long time because the chemical solidifies it. That's what we try to do and do the other at the resort while getting showered up.

I get large enough heavy duty garbage bags and put one in the bowl and the seat drops down and holds it in places . One time use, and put into a bucket outside, within a short time the contents are frozen, and take the bucket home to dispose, or drop off at the disposal most of th resorts have. For pee, I will go inside if it is nasty out side and dump to outside where it is going to end up in any event (not something DNR wants to hear) If you have a holding tank, probably the best solution would be to put RV antifreeze in it so it won't freeze and use toilet as normal. But the trick will be to find an RV dump station which might not be easy in wintertime. More and more resorts maintains ice roads are putting out porta-johns which is a nice service and the problem becomes their's!

I know a lot of guys go outside but I hate it when you are out of a resort on a plowed road looking for a plowed wheel house spot and there is yellow snow everywhere. I don't want to be stepping in it or using it to bank the house in. Why not pee in a bottle and toss it in the dumpster the way out?

I use my house as a camper in the summer so we got a Thetford Curve electric flush porti potty. I can say it cost a bit more (120.00 ish) but the thing is awesome! I've used some mid range ones and there way to low and crack and creek like there going to brake on you. The Curve is just as high as my house toilets at 17" and solid as a rock. I also bought the hold down plate so it doesn't slide around when your pulling the house around. In the winter I will run RV antifreeze instead of water in it.

I went the same route and very happy with the curve. It's awesome having a flush toilet and easy clean up. I do not even mess with antifreeze. Just bring a few gallons of water and pour it in when the house warms up. I have had it freeze but once it thaws it works like new again.

I bring along my small pop up and use a sunflower heater in there. I also made a stand with a nice top and a bucket with a 55 gallon bag below. Once done i let it freeze, twist the bag and its like an unused bag again. The heater is key tho.

That sounds like the cat's meow. After doing the bucket/bag thing for years I'm looking for a better idea.......

I don't know about you guys, but my ice fishing diet tends to cause a few more "movements" than just a regular day blush

Probably has nothing to do with several Bloody Mary's, bacon, greasy eggs, deep fried fish, and a case of beer......... LOL! grin

Looks like a decent product, but I just can't get over having to deal with number 2's twice. Emptying and cleaning the waste side of the tank just make me sick

I use the double dooty bags. Number ones overnight stay in the bathroom. Number 2's go outside into a dedicated bucket to freeze after being wrapped up. Deal with your own bag.

Garbage bag in a bucket for #2, #1 outside on the ice.

Same here.

My diet changes on the ice to the bare minimum. Same with weekend boat trips. Usually don't eat friday and sparingly saturday/sunday. Pretty much ensures the bucket only gets used once, maybe twice.

Not a chance I'm going to deal with #2's two or more times, nor do I want to deal with dumping out the "luggable lou" design at the end of the weekend. My set up is a bucket, a new garbage bag every weekend, and double grocery bags for each #2. Tie it off when you're done, carry the bucket outside, and deposit the #2 in the metal garbage can. Simple & clean.

With the porta-potty you will only have deal with all of the turds, pees and number 3#'s once by dumping the holding tank out.

With the bag and bucket you are dealing with each movement every time....... and dumping the pee out before you put a poo bag in.

In the winter where do you dump it?

I haven't bought one yet, but my plan is to dump it in the woods when I get home. I also thought about putting it in a garbage bag to freeze and then just toss it in the trash.

On a solo day or overnight trip I will still likely use a bucket/bag. But a flushable toilet will get the nod for long weekends on the ice with the Missus and I.

I dump my waste tank into a portable then when the portable to my septic. Wonder if the antifreeze or washer fluid would be bad for that?

Luggable loo in a portable hub house with buddy heater. 5 Gallon bucket paint liner inside it for the ladies #1, add a plastic bag for emergency #2 situation and tie off/throw outside to freeze when done. Try to time the #2 while going in to the resort like everyone else :lol:

• 6 years later...

The reason that the fish need ice is to help prevent the water from freezing. Fish are known for their ability to chill water and they will die very quickly if you don't provide them with some form of artificial chill.

When you set up your new fish home or plan on raising your fish stock, it's important that you have the proper amount of "freezing" water to ensure that your fish is healthy. To do this, you will need to add water to your fish house in measured portions. This doesn't mean that you'll be filling your fish house to the brim or anything like that. You just need to have water that is near to being filled.

Once you have the proper amount of water added to the tank, you'll want to remove the lid so that you can safely monitor the progress. How much ice do you need for a fish house bathroom? This varies based upon the species of fish that you have. Some species freeze when they are stressed and may require more ice to survive. Other fish species will live quite happily in an unshaved fish house with some water left in there.

• Confused 1

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I'm thinking Nicol Askersey may be a bait dealer in some far off country that does things a little different than what we're use to? ?