• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Black Rifle

PurpleFloyd

Looking to pick one of these up. Any suggestions? Not looking to bling it all out or anything,just to get a gun that will perform.

I was kicking around buying components and putting it together myself but I have been looking at the quality that Mike Millions at DTech has been putting out for over a decade and thought maybe an upper from him and build my own lower would be a better route.

I already have a bolt .243 wssm and all the dies,powder,brass etc so I could move right into that but I also like the .204 and thought that might be a better load for shooting things I would shoot with that type of gun.

What should I know about triggers,barrels and other things. How about optics?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend (i.e. quality). I just built two this spring from the ground up and it really is a piece of cake if you have a few specific tools like punches, a bench vise, and torque wrench to name a few.

As far as specific components you're looking at Ford/Chevy types of answers. Everybody has their favorite brands but the sky is the limit. Once you decide what you want to do with this rifle the path becomes much clearer on the components you'll be looking for. Until then you'll be overwhelmed with all the options and won't know where to start.

That's what is fun about these type of rifles...build them pretty much however you want!

Some good parts outlets I've used include Palmetto State Armory, Joe Bob Outfitters, and Primary Arms. Brownells out of Iowa is awesome too. Watch for sales or get on their mailing lists to be notified. During the holidays these online dealers can have some smoking deals on parts and accessories. That is the time to buy to save some cash.

As for my builds I used Spikes Tactical barrels (made by FNH), BCG's, and lowers. Rainier Arms stripped uppers. CMMG parts groups without the trigger and grip. Geissele triggers. Troy and Daniel Defense hand guards.

Rock River makes a 2-stage National Match trigger than many say is comparable to the Geissele but at about 1/2 the price. Now after owning each I can't say that I disagree. The RRA NM trigger isn't bad at all and I'll probably save some money and use that one next time instead of another Geissele.

Optics? All falls back to what the primary use of the rifle will be. Some good sales on Nikon right now as we head into hunting season. Vortex too.

I bought an olympic K8 from Dtech probably 6 years ago, he did a trigger job on it and i have never looked back, nor blinged it out. If i was going to go with a custom upper, I would order from him, hands down. You are starting on the right path, good lucj and let us know what you decide on. If I was to get a new AR, I would look into and AR10 in .308, very underated caliber if you ask me

In terms of quality, I want it to function with no cheap parts that will give me problems but I don't want it to have any frills or anything that doesn't make it shoot better. I am probably going to keep this one under a grand.

I don't care about looks either. Since I retired from woodworking I am looking for the next thing to get into and I have been looking very hard at water transfer printing and this would be one of my test subjects. I am also looking into buying a 3d printer if things go right this fall. That would open up opportunities for adding bling down the road.

As far as caliber, I am probably going smaller rather than larger due to the fact it will primarily be a varmint/predator gun for everything from gophers to Yotes.

That being said, what is the deal with uppers and lowers? what do you need to change calibers if you want to go from say 204 to 308? 2 sets of uppers?

And two lowers, a .308 is built on an AR10 lower, will not marry to a AR15 lower. Smaller caliber, I have heard a lot of great things about the .204 and .17rem ( not HMR) My K8 is in 5.56, and will quite honestly shoot better than I can see with handloads. If I could have an AR platform 12ga rifled slug gun, I would be in heaven come deer season. (Yes, I know Saiga makes an 12 guage with AK functionality, but no slug barrel)

I'm glad this thread came up and I"m watching with much verver.

I'm in the same boat as PF. I'm in the market for a black gun, have very little knowledge aboot them, and don't wanna drop a fortune.

Tough call for me. I want it for varmits....fox, yotes, etc. So I was thinking about 5.56. But, I already own a .308 and 7.62 in bolt action and quite honestly, I'm a big fan of the .308.

Another factor for me is out here in the prairie you're taking some nice long shots so it has to be able to reach out and touch em.

Anyone have any experience with the 5.56's sold at Fleet Farm?

I'm glad this thread came up and I"m watching with much verver.

I'm in the same boat as PF. I'm in the market for a black gun, have very little knowledge aboot them, and don't wanna drop a fortune.

Tough call for me. I want it for varmits....fox, yotes, etc. So I was thinking about 5.56. But, I already own a .308 and 7.62 in bolt action and quite honestly, I'm a big fan of the .308.

Another factor for me is out here in the prairie you're taking some nice long shots so it has to be able to reach out and touch em.

Anyone have any experience with the 5.56's sold at Fleet Farm?

I know a lot of guys are using the 204 for this. That cartridge is deadly out a very long way but I don't know if an AR changes that much with shorter barrels and the semi auto action.

I own a pair of AR's in 5.56

One is an Olympic Target Match paired out with an Alaskan scope. It's shooting nickle size 5shot groups a 200yds and is primarily a long range coyote/fox gun. Longest to date was a 318yd single shot and drop on a coyote in Nebraska last fall. Other than the scope the only thing that I have done was have a gunsmith tune the factory trigger.

The other is a carbon fiber model from Windom Weaponry. I have yet to run it through its paces so I am not sure what it can do for groups, but it functions nice. It will have a simple 1x red dot on it. I am planning in using this rifle in place of the 12ga for coyote shooting. (5-50yds) as I have become very recoil sensitive and just can't shoot that shotgun any more. It is a nice light weight easy to swing gun that will do the job nicely.

Neither rifle is "bling'd out" just a trigger job and scope on one, and a drop in trigger and red dot on the other. I don't reload so .223/5.56 is what I chose simply for ammo availability.

Olympic makes an AR in .204 if you are leaning that route. They make a quality rifle and highly recommend them.

• 2 weeks later...