• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

TCX Mod

amateurfishing

Anyone have a TCX or similar sizemod they did? I want to start researching, organizing, & tinkering with mine. Materials, must haves, perks? Looking forward to some great ideas, thx!

Keep it simple!!! It's very easy to get carried away with your plans. If you are walking out weight is a big factor. I have done a few mods and the simple ones always worked the best. For the TCX I would get the Clam light bar if it doesn't come with it. The cargo net along the back and runners for the tub.

Be very sure before you start drilling holes in the tub!!!!

totally agree with Crappyfisherman. If you do any fishing after dark definitely just one or two of the light bars. with them you can either cut them into the exsisting poles or they do come with clips to clip them to the poles if you don't want to cut them in. If you cut them into the poles then you would need the large diameter light bar (1 1/4", #9560) if you clip them on the poles then get the small diameter light bar (7/8", #9559). put runners(#8996) on the sled if it doesn't already have them. it saves on wear on the sled and makes for easier pulling on bare ice plus it helps the house track better with snow cover on the lake too. as for other mods that you could do that don't add to much weight, you could add a bracket(#8829) for the battery that would run the light bar(s), the large cargo net(#9176) like was already stated, a bait well(#9024) on the side of the sled, fish trap organizer (#8819), 4 place rod holder (#9556), & last but not least a anchor kit (#8064) to be able to anchor the house down on windier days( I have had my big house start blowing away before so highly recommend a anchor kit on the house now).

If you're going to be pulling the sled a lot, you're going to hit the point where the snow cover makes it impossible to remain mobile. Look into a smitty sled (google it) to put under it. It's a world of difference between pulling that sled over snow and pulling it when it's floating over the snow on a couple of skis.

LED light strips can be found on the auction site for just a few bucks, in whatever size you want (48, 96, 110 cm, for instance). I highly recommend this type of light setup. I like putting them all the way across the top of the house on both the top front and top middle cross bars. You won't have any shadows in any of your holes this way.

So any modding that I do should stick with clam optional add ons? No disecting with compartments like tic tac toe square for live bait, propane tanks, little buddy heater, rods, etc?

I compartmentalized my otter lodge by zip tying 5 milk crates together. I have two vexilar(place in two gallon buckets with 2"foam beneath them), a bait bucket, propane tank, and cooler. In the corner where there isn't a crate I put my Big Buddy Heater with carrying case. Everything is nice and tight. I realize you will want to go a smaller version to make lighter but for snowmobile travel this set up keeps everything in place.

So any modding that I do should stick with clam optional add ons? No disecting with compartments like tic tac toe square for live bait, propane tanks, little buddy heater, rods, etc?

you don't have to stick to Clam Products if you don't want too. the stuff I listed was just stuff that they make for their houses so you know it will work in the house you have. if you want ideas for mods check out the Thorne Brothers/HSO fish house mod get together on September 27. it runs 9am to 5PM. there is a post about it here in the ice fishing forum and over in the ice team forum too. it a fun event if you have never been to it before.

Anyone have a TCX or similar sizemod they did? I want to start researching, organizing, & tinkering with mine. Materials, must haves, perks? Looking forward to some great ideas, thx!

I have a 2-3 man voyager flip over that i bought a few years back. I've done some trial and error stuff. I think I about got the thing figured out to where it is the most comfortable, handy, and light weight....at least to my liking. Here is what I found out, its just my opinion so nobody get bent out of shape.

Simple, easy, convenient, handy and light weight are about the most important things. I did some mods then later removed them due to weight issues and not being able to use my sled space effectively when hauling different stuff. Was fine with a 4 wheeler, but hand pulling sucked. here is list of what worked for me.

1. floor room is a premium, here is what i did to save space.

A. heater cooker 1lb tank. heats crazy, takes less room. (had big buddy kept blowing out didn't heat well)

B. Stacked/all in one camera flasher for space on floor and in tub. double vision vex or lx - 9

C. put otter rod holders on front of tub to hold fishing poles and move out of way.

D. clam bait bucket with holder mounted on tub. can flip so bucket is hanging in tub or in front. keeps from spilling bait when fishing and transporting.

E. clams center counsel to hold stuff and the additional after market side baiter for each side.

F. Two strip lights and battery holder for lights/phone charger

G. Cargo net on inside front of tub to hold stuff.

H. fish trap organizer on back to hold stuff and coats.

I. Use small shopping baskets/milk crates to organize gear in. I found shopping baskets worked better since shorter and a touch longer.

J. hard to believe but the hy fax running strips did make the sled pull way easier, i put on to save wear on tub.

I've tried a lot of different stuff. some worked......some didn't. If it's not raining Tomorrow I'll see if I can get out the shack and set it up. then I'll take some pics or a movie. I found the shack really didn't need modifications.....just little in expensive things that are small handy space saving items that don't really add any weight.

Don't have to use clam stuff. However, it is made to fit and be functional. You can find a lot of this stuff now during the summer cheap. I've got a mixture of clam, Frabril, otter, and unknown brand stuff. That i picked up for next to nothing during season ends and summer months.

One add on i love and thought i would hate.......two rope lights zip tied to over head bars for after dark. its just the right brightness at night. a dead battery not capable of running your flasher will run the rope lights for an entire night and more.

you can do the tick tac toe thing, but shopping baskets/milk crates do same thing and are removable/movable has needed. I found out having the flexibility is nice. Depending on things i will sometimes keep my auger in the sled when pulling out buy hand and stuff.

Ive been thinking of doing the reflectix insulation guys talk about, but between Artic amour and my heater cooker I've never been cold.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Like what others have said Keep it simple! It seems like what was laid out in the garage all summer doesn't seem to be that effective when you get it out on the ice and you have added a ton of weight or it takes you forever to unload and repack stuff from all the cool little compartments you added for everything. Since I like to fish when I'm out there and not play with all my gadgets, my house looks like a bomb went off by the end of the day with rods, tackle, lunch and gear not where it started out! wink

Initial for sure plans

$30 organizer, probably cargo as well

2 sets of free skis for hyfax

Items I already have are little buddy, stryker 4 rod portable case, 2-3 1 lb propane tanks, bait bucket, flasher, rest is misc tackle, skimmer, etc

Insulated battery holder b a great idea also for backup & phone

Where u get milk crates or baskets?

Initial for sure plans

$30 organizer, probably cargo as well

2 sets of free skis for hyfax

Items I already have are little buddy, stryker 4 rod portable case, 2-3 1 lb propane tanks, bait bucket, flasher, rest is misc tackle, skimmer, etc

Insulated battery holder b a great idea also for backup & phone

Where u get milk crates or baskets?

The cargo net and organizer stuff can be bought now on clearance at many websites. If you want PM me and I'll give you a site that has almost all the extras your looking for pretty cheap. I think my basket is from hy vee or shopko.

2701539F-C434-461E-B8AA-020C4B5E0E6F_zps

This is the clam soft case battery pack and shelf holder. works well, it has a cigarette plug to charge phone and stuff, also has area to slide on the wires to run the led rope lights. You can see the Otter pole holders. they were worth the money. store easy and keep your pole nice during a slow bite. The packs on back of seats are handy keeps gloves stocking hats plastic tackle boxes. cartons of smokes......

D0EDBF13-EFCB-40D3-A638-67CC00F8C048_zps

The center counsel, bucket, and shopping basket are a few key space savers. The basket holds tipups, rattle wheel pee bottle, minnow nets, camera compass, and usually 3-4 1lb tanks. The center counsel has an elastic cover that will cover it when moving, holds bait pucks and stuff in place. A lot of people didn't like the clam minnow bucket, but the bracket keeps it of the ice from freezing keeps it from tipping over and the bucket seals so you don't have water splashing all over. Its nice not having water all over stuff after moving spots.

ABC51B10-E0BA-4077-A989-6A7122B03E15_zps

EF0668D9-C5B5-4C5D-ABCC-79325E02A243_zps

The organizer in back is handy to keep a lot of stuff in and to hang dump from the hooks. Towels to dry hands and tools are a good spot. I found your better off getting the velcro frabrill hooks to hand your coats from, the hooks on the organizer are to low.

1DCB36C9-4FFA-4D34-A774-C11BAD76C28B_zps

If you put a hitch on this little mod to the canvas helps. It allows you to get the skirt down tight without having to take off the hitch. then you can shove some snow to seal it up tight. Without the mod u had to take the hitch off or deal with it holding the canvas up and open causing a wind tunnel into the shack.

F85C7639-246F-478B-8642-ABADBD9A0DD6_zps

These two rope lights were like $5 each some generic brand. Work well. The rattle wheel is nice, tried finding the otter one came across the catch cover one and its worked well. lifetime warranty they replaced a broken one last year. I just zip tie or black tape them to the poles.

AB86B9CA-3FDC-42BE-9B13-DB1251F0CA79_zps

AA3FA0A2-E4C9-452B-B5F0-C487CCC62B98_zps

Any preference or recommendations for lighting? Is one better than another?

Led head lamp

Overhead bar led

Sled led

Led light fan combo

Any preference or recommendations for lighting? Is one better than another?

Led head lamp

Overhead bar led

Sled led

Led light fan combo

From my experiance, The two rope lights were $4.99. They are just the right level of brightness to see/do whatever you need to in the shack without being overly bright, Has far as tying fishing line, an led headlamp works best to really light up the line and is also nice for when you step outside and tear down, back to the truck in the dark, or need something out of the fish trap tub. Headlamp is worth a lot in that it points where you are looking and you dont need to hold it when moving gear around. The sled led lights are to low to be really effective. Fan light might be improved, but a friend tried one in his popup. The hook broke, and fan didn't work to well. The bar led you can get to put in might work well, i never tried or seen one.