• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Intensive Harvest Goose

It opens Aug. 9. We had some really good hunts and some down right rotten last year. We will be back out there again this year with our sunscreen and bug spray. Anyone else going?

We will be out for early goose too! Only bad part is how early the sun rises in the summer wink

You said it brother it's up early to be out there before 1/2 sun up. The nice part of the a.m. it's cooler and there is a lot of daylight left when I leave the field after an a.m. hunt. Not sure how agreeable my 11 year old will be to getting up that early. Is 11 too young to start drinking coffee? Good time, good luck.

We have an early Canadian Goose season up here in NW Minnesota. I've hunted it before, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right.

A bit too warm, too many mosquitos, and too many REALLY young birds. But that's just me. I like late season hunting. To me, at least, that "feels" right. But absolutely nothing against those who choose to hunt the early season. It's a great time to get young kids out hunting geese!

1/2 hour after sunset is the best part of the MN August hunt. We've been asking for that in SD since the inception of the august take seasons...Nothing worse during evening hunts than seeing the flocks come out at sunset. No plugs would be nice though.

I'll be headed out this evening to scout one last time before heading out in the dark with my crew tomorrow. I'll be lucky enough to have my three boys 7,9 and 11 years old with me. My oldest gets to hunt with a shell in his gun for the first time and he is pretty excited. We will be bringing a good friend out who requires a little creativity as he has a 400lb electric wheel chair. My boys will get him concealed,help him setup his shotgun boom setup and take care of him with anything he needs. Makes me proud to see that maybe some of the things I try to teach them have stuck. We stay at my parents place and my brother is also coming up to hunt for the weekend. Blessed even if we don't see a goose. Good luck to you and yours.

Well the blinds are grassed, the dekes are loaded, and the crew is staring at the clock... 3:30 can't get here soon enough! Good luck everyone!

Well we had 100+ feeding in our field for 3 days and wouldn't ya know they didn't show up come Saturday morning smirk early season can be frustrating but it was still

Fun to get out and dust off the cobwebs! Didn't hear much shooting around us in the west metro

Either

We saw the birds moving but concealment with round bails on top of the hill wasn't as good as I would have liked (even with the birds being dumb we still had flocks pull away when it looked like it was their final approach). Can't beat sitting in the standing corn for concealment if you ask me. My brother shot a young bird. I'm hoping we can move back to hunting sitting in the corn over oats next weekend.

I'll be headed out this evening to scout one last time before heading out in the dark with my crew tomorrow. I'll be lucky enough to have my three boys 7,9 and 11 years old with me. My oldest gets to hunt with a shell in his gun for the first time and he is pretty excited. We will be bringing a good friend out who requires a little creativity as he has a 400lb electric wheel chair. My boys will get him concealed,help him setup his shotgun boom setup and take care of him with anything he needs. Makes me proud to see that maybe some of the things I try to teach them have stuck. We stay at my parents place and my brother is also coming up to hunt for the weekend. Blessed even if we don't see a goose. Good luck to you and yours.

How did the hunt go?

A few flocks moved yesterday morning however they did not pay any attention to me with my bdecoys sitting in the picked oates. Last night the birds just did not move. Pretty slow for us for sure. Not hearing much shooting around us. I think the birds are sitting tight.

Birds around our hunting spot did not move much at all this weekend. Zero shots fired, slow.

Heavy fog this a.m. and few birds moving. Heard three flocks get up from a small private lake about a half mile away. They went north and I was sitting south. I did see one flock but they were half mile away and were not interested in the field rather the other small lake east of where I was sitting. We did really well on this spot last year and we have shot at and bagged one bird this year. The birds were around a week prior to the season and there are birds around but it's just not going to be at all like last year. Stupid birds!

• 3 weeks later...