• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Rice retires

Scott K

Quote:

Sidney Rice has retired from the NFL after 7 seasons.

Rice is just 27 years old, and theoretically should be in the prime of his career. But Rice has missed a total of 31 games in his seven seasons. He's reportedly retiring because of a history of concussions. Rice was knocked out a number of times in his playing career and also was trying to return from a torn ACL. What once looked like a promising career after an 83-catch, 1,312-yard, 8-touchdown 2009 season with the Vikings has ended in sad fashion. Rice caught a total of 243 passes for 3,592 yards and 30 scores. He went to one Pro Bowl.

I just read that too. I think these young guys are seeing some of the veteran players with major issues due to concussions. I think this will be a growing trend in the NFL, where some of these young guys say, I made enough and I don't want to be a vegetable the rest of my life. The notion that these guys are playing for the love of the game is simply not there with most of them. It's about the money. And if you make enough of it, fast enough, why would you endure these injuries? It's not if you are going to get injured in the NFL but rather how often and how bad.

How much money was he going to make this year? Didn't he sign a rather hefty contract there.....

Seattle: Where Vikings go to retire

And win Super Bowls.

I wonder if he'll be inducted into the HOF as a Viking or a Seahawk?

He was on the outside looking in as far as even making the team. There were 4 receivers set to make it and he and a couple youngsters were vying for the 6th spot I believe.

Sounds about right for Rice. He is looking for the BIG payday from the NFL and not have to play a down. He has a proven record of thinking about only the money like deciding to get hip surgery just before the 2010 season instead of after the 2009 season when he injured it. Missed most of the 2010 season because he had a big year (thanks to favre) and wanted a pay day. He's got to feed his children.

I just read that too. I think these young guys are seeing some of the veteran players with major issues due to concussions. I think this will be a growing trend in the NFL, where some of these young guys say, I made enough and I don't want to be a vegetable the rest of my life. The notion that these guys are playing for the love of the game is simply not there with most of them. It's about the money. And if you make enough of it, fast enough, why would you endure these injuries? It's not if you are going to get injured in the NFL but rather how often and how bad.

Spot on!!

Don't blame any of them, either. Make your $$$ and get out.

Rice has had some significant injuries...we all know this.

Made millions...won the SB and got a RING...congratulations SR...enjoy your retirement!

Bust of a career, 1 decent season, had the potential but could never stay on the field, he has a ring but didn't do much of anything to contribute.

Perfect time to retire for him though, he probably wouldn't of made the team with the Seachickens and no other contender would want him. He'd end up being hurt playing for the Browns or something.

He can thank Favre for his pay day. One good year with a great QB got him money. Hasn't done anything since. Might as well retire.