• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hunting in Canada

I want to make a trip to canada for the first time. Has anyone done this? Where do you buy licenses and get regulations? Any tips on getting on land up there? Any tips on what province to head to?

Depends on where you hunt. I've hunted Canada twice: once in Manitoba, and the other in Prince Edward Island. Two totally different animals. In PEI, we could not hunt without either a licenses guide or a PEI resident. That's not the same in other provinces, however, so check the regulations. Licenses can be purchased at the local Canadian Tire (basically a Fleet Farm). You'll need a provincial hunting license as well as a federal migratory bird license (it's their equivalent to a Duck Stamp). Again, check the regs of the provence you plan to hunt.

Southwestern Manitoba and central Saskatchewan and Alberta offer solid waterfowling. Most places getting access is not terribly difficult.

When I went I was in Sask. Had the best time of my life hunting. Went up there and doorknocked. Never had an issue with permission. Seemed to me all the guys/farmers that I talked to just asked where we were from and if we had any offilliation with a guide. As long as ya said "no" they gave permission never even asked for money. Bought the stamps at a post office, bought the license at a gas station.

Is there a particular HSOforum that one can find all the various provincial Canadian hunting regulations?

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm contemplating a DIY whitetail hunt in Alberta or Saskatchewan.

Oh for goodness sake. The software changes the word (w e b s i t e) to HSOforum!

I want to make a trip to canada for the first time. Has anyone done this? Where do you buy licenses and get regulations? Any tips on getting on land up there? Any tips on what province to head to?

I did a cast and blast week last fall out of Trail End Camp and outfitter Pointe du Bois, Manitoba it is about two hours north of Winnipeg it was outstanding. We would hunt in the morning fish during the day and hunt in the eve. We got our license from the outfitter. I am going again this year mid October. You may want to check out their web site for info.

Unless you are a Saskatchewan or Alberta resident or maybe a Canada Resident, you are NOT doing a DIY big game hunt in either Province. You must employ a guide. You can still freelance waterfowl but that is about it.

• 2 weeks later...

All big game hunting in Saskatchewan requires non residents to pay for a guide. Some pay the fee and tell the guide they want to do a DIY hunt, which they will let you. Still have to pay the fee. We have hunted Saskatch for the past eight seasons. Going there this fall. We camp in a farmers field every year, great people. You will want to basically scout for the birds. We chase the snow's. When we find big numbers we always go to the towns post office and buy an R.M. map which tell's you who owns what land. From there we find a phone book and locate where that farmer is. We always ask for permission, which is normally granted. The farmers there are super friendly and enjoy talking to hunters from the States. Nothing like laying in a barley field and having thousands of snow's drop in on ya. If you are more interested in duck's just find the water. They will be there in droves. BC

For the duck hunters that got to Saskatchewan, is it better early Oct or late? I know this all depends on weather. Last year we went mid Oct and it was pretty mild. We still did good, but im thinking later would be better.

Going later in October is risky. If you hit it right it's phenominal, but you always take the risk of freeze up which happens very fast. We left on one of our trips at the end of the first week of October. The day before we returned to the states it was beginning to snow hard. When we got back we had heard several reports of hunters who arrived a day after us. They were in search of ducks. All the ponds had froze up and the hunting was super slow as most of the flocks had bumped down to North Dakota. If you are doing well in early October why change? Just my 2c BC

Kyle, if this is your first time planning a trip I would reccomend researching Prairie View Waterfowling and do a Sask. hunt. The guy is second to none and I can attest to his professionalism. They absolutely slaughtered mallards and geese all fall last year and judging by the forcast this year looks even better. Those guys start in Sask. and follow the migration all the way down to thier camp in Arkansas. If nothing else give them a look.

• 1 month later...

I understand that to play it safe go early. But if you hit right with cold and snow, it can be twice as good! There is a big "IF" though. Love white fields and big greenies!

I go to Canada to experience stuff you can't anywhere else and part of that experience is the not having to bump elbows or fight for fields, one way to ensure that is to go late, we have had snow on every trip, and great hunts sure at some point we may get bit in the butt butt but for the most part not everything will be froze up and it concentrates the birds. Leaving third week on October this year, I personally know of two groups that so leave until first week in November every year and hind southern Saskatchewan, and hammer them.

We are leaving next Wednesday. The weather up until that point is mild, warm, bluebird. Thurday it starts dropping and chances of rain are big. Highs from 44 to 57 and some lows are predicted to be 26 grin Any reports or what others are hearing so far? I can't wait and will post what our trip brings us. BC

We are leaving next Wednesday. The weather up until that point is mild, warm, bluebird. Thurday it starts dropping and chances of rain are big. Highs from 44 to 57 and some lows are predicted to be 26 grin Any reports or what others are hearing so far? I can't wait and will post what our trip brings us. BC

which province ?

I leave on the 5th of OCT for central Manitoba for a week, normally by the end of the week stuff is starting to lock up in regards to ice. We chase divers and Canada geese more than anything. I'll post pics when I return

Kettle

I agree Todd, nothing worse then hunting pressured birds and or warm weather. We are leaving the 17th of October for 9 days. Last year we ended up north of the quill lakes area. Great times, but it was 50° and the birds fed at strange times. Good luck to everyone that has the opportunity to get after them. Keep updating with any reports as will I.

Nice pics Todd! I'm getting excited for my trip, talked to the locals and they are already starting to see an influx of snows into the area we go to, so that is normally a good sign. That and about 50% of the crop is already in.

Kettle