• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Good cat taxidermist?

Wanderer

I have a buddy who has a bobcat he wants mounted but wants it done by someone who "gets" cats. I recall seeing a mount at Game Fair last year that I liked quite a bit but of course have no recollection of who it was.

My buddy lives in central MN but his location matters little; he'll deal with the distance if he has to travel to the right guy.

Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks!

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Mike Pendzimas <[email protected]>

He's up in Andover. He did 6 fish and Deer head for me but use to teach it at Pine city tech as well. wink

Have him look close at Wings and Things taxidermy- Chris Wallace.

He is out of East Bethel I believe and he is one of the very best.

Good Luck

Steve

Glad to see your buddy knows to look specifically at cats for his mount. Just because a guy does good fish, or birds or deerheads says nothing about how they'll do at something else.

Have him check out Stoney Hills Taxidermy. Plenty of cat work, and in central MN to boot. Kind of spendy, but totally worth it.

Yup, don't look at their fish, deer, and birds. Cats are an entirely different beast so be sure to look at their previous work with them.

I learned my lesson with my wolf. I was promised to get a mount as good or better than any others could do. Against my better judgment I believed him without checking out his previous work. I still haven't been able to get myself to pick the thing up, though it's been ready for months. I saw it displayed at a retail store and it's just not right. I'd pay double if I could go back in time and pick a different taxidermist.

Charly Lietzau in Cosmos Mn. The guy has years of expierence with cats from smaller cats to Lions and alot of Africa critters. Litzau Taxidermy.

He has always done alot of mounts but not 100% sure if he still mounts for customers or just does his primitive stuff along with selling skins. Charly does some amazing work if he still does it, just not sure as he is getting older.

Worth a call for sure and if you google his name, you will find alot of info.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

I already sent him Chris Wallace's info even though I haven't seen any of his cats. The rest of his work is impressive though.

I'll send him the other names but will take any more that pop up. Like Nowiser learned the hard way, spend your time shopping, you'll be happy you did. Sorry to hear your wolf didn't turn out to your liking. frown. Guess you'll just have to get another!

I think it was back in the Tom Witbeck (sp?) days that I read a quote in the shop. "The bitterness of a poor mount lasts longer than the sweetness of a low price". They're words to live by in my world.

Leech~~,

Your avatar pic showed up on the google search for Lietzau Taxidermy. But then again the lesser known outdoor celebrity, Jason Mitchell did too. grin

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Leech~~,

Your avatar pic showed up on the google search for Lietzau Taxidermy. But then again the lesser known outdoor celebrity, Jason Mitchell did too. grin

Ya, I've seen it on a few sites. But they are on my wall. Here is a pic of the deer on the left! Just like the nice Laker you guys helped me find showed up on a certain fishing guides site! whistle

full-27051-46542-imgp0689.jpg

Better check out Game Over Taxidermy in Nevis, MN before you go anywhere else. His recent awards are a testimony to his skills... I've had him do a bobcat rug and was very pleased. I've seen his bobcat mounts and have been impressed. Check out his HSOforum.

DC

Thanks for the added recommendation!

I looked at his site and would say he's probably going to be in the running.

There a place that's called the safari room in Wisconsin that is pretty good. 95% or more of the cats you see are not worth picking up IMO. I'm sure they are tough.

• 2 weeks later...

If he hasnt gone somewhere already check out Makwa Taxidermy in norhtern mn. Tom is a furrier, taxidermist and has some of the best work I have seen done.

He knows his cats and is also a dang good trapper.

He is not cheap but shouldnt be for the work he does.

Thanks, I'll let him know!

He said he was going to visit the place in Nevis last week but I haven't had a chance to talk to him about it.