• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fish house build/windows

Rouney725110

We've been building our own 8x20 fish house with a 4 foot v. We're at the point where we need to start installing windows and doors. First off what are the best widow and door options? We're looking at just the Jeld-Wen brand windows from Menards. They seem like they'll be about perfect for this job. We just don't know where or how many to put in the house.

As for doors We're not real sure. When we were in menards looking at windows, they gave us a flyer for mobile home doors. They seem like a good option. We're hoping that they'll be heavier duty that the regular ice castle doors. We're just worried about freezing up. We've heard that the regular ice castle doors and rv doors are very bad at freezing up.

Thanks!! Let me know your opinions!

My 2 scents...get a solid door without a window! Ones with windows sweat & freeze up more.

A good website to go to is fish house supply (no spaces)...they are in Buffalo, MN...lots of info on there for your builds & accessories.

You should really think about a double door in the rear to haul your 4 wheeler. I bought 2 doors 30inch wide fiberglass and put them in my house and have never had the doors freeze up.

I think more windows are better I have 3 down the side of a 8 x 16 and 2 on the door side. I have 1 10 x 10 highlight window on each side of the V and one on the back. My critisism is that most people go too big on windows, they do not insulate as near well as solid wall. I used 24 x 14(?) basement windows on each side of the couch to see out when sitting and 24 x 24 for the big ones on each side in the middle. it makes no sense to have more glass than you need. I also put a 10 x 10 garage door highlight window in the door just for looking out. Menards windows worked fine for me, just don't try to put them in too tight because you will get a small amount of flex. I used an RV door from the Millaca place but wish I would have cut down and used a solid door because RV doors are cheezy and always have problems at some point. This is just me though, everyone has their own way of doing it. There are lots of very good build posts on here to look thru for ideas. One must though when you get to the point of insulation is foam. Save in other areas but save money for foam.

I did JeldWen in my current house. They work fine. I do have one leaky seal which caused condensation between the panes.

I would respectfully disagree with Hawg on the big windows. Every single person who has been in my house loves the big windows. You can see 270 degrees around the house from almost anywhere you sit. I have a 36x48 on each side, a 24x36 in front, and a 24x36 in the back. Sure, you lose a little R value in comparison to a wall, but the convenience makes up for it IMO. I have insulating shades for night time.

Windows?

RV pop out style windows. Safety first, especially on the ice. We used them in the house we built and they work perfect both for use and install as they are not as wide as regular windows. This is eactly what they were made for.

We got ours from Team Lodge in SD.

For the main door we went with an insulated/solid core NO WINDOW door. Metal added to door jam with the door swinging out, to prevent kick ins.

If you do go with the Jeld-wen, message me, i have a brand new one in the wrapper still, that we were going to use before going with the Pop-outs.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure you don't put the windows too high. Nice to be able to see out when sitting down.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.