• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gov Dayton

BuckSutherland

You don't know what I have or have not done to support any candidate so why dont you do us all a favor and dismount your sanctimonious high horse and give up on your campaign to silence the opposition.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• delcecchi

• Big Dave2

• swamptiger

Im not sanctimonious

Im not on a high horse

I could care less who you vote for (and never insinuated anyone)

Im not campaigning

Im not attemting to silence any one

Just stating facts, how you take it is your choice

You don't know what I have or have not done to support any candidate so why dont you do us all a favor and dismount your sanctimonious high horse and give up on your campaign to silence the opposition.

Look in the mirror lately? LoL!

I don't have to campaign to silence someone that nobody seriously listens to. By the way, I have stated in Silly Town before that I did not vote for Dayton and don't plan to again, but if I thought it was needed to keep people who think like you from being in complete control I might just hold my nose and do so. It won't be needed though.

You boys bring a smile to my tired and wrinkled old face. As a veteran of many many campaigns I can always tell when the polling time draws near: the candidates get nastier and nastier (it wasn't always like this) and, even more, the supporters and campaign workers rage and rail and become frantic and nearly berserk.

Hang in there guys.....soon it will be over and your candidate either won or lost and you will find the world still spinning next morning.

Then you can go back to the normal day-to-day ripping and slashing at one another. Ha Ha Ha!

Im not sanctimonious

Im not on a high horse

I could care less who you vote for (and never insinuated anyone)

Im not campaigning

Im not attemting to silence any one

That's nice, but I wasn't replying to you.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Leech: It's a political ad that's been shown on the Twin Cities TV networks a bazillion times in the last week!!!!

Ya, so where are the stat's to back up either ones claims?

It's a political ad. It doesn't need stats. It doesn't even need to be true. It just needs to be in front of the public often. Both sides do it (although the Dems seem to do it more with the xxxx sent jobs to China and doesn't pay taxes and is friends with hedge fund billionaire ads) But maybe that is just me noticing it more.

You boys bring a smile to my tired and wrinkled old face. As a veteran of many many campaigns I can always tell when the polling time draws near: the candidates get nastier and nastier (it wasn't always like this) and, even more, the supporters and campaign workers rage and rail and become frantic and nearly berserk.

Hang in there guys.....soon it will be over and your candidate either won or lost and you will find the world still spinning next morning.

Then you can go back to the normal day-to-day ripping and slashing at one another. Ha Ha Ha!

Watched fox9 last night, a little election history thing, they said ads and campaigns could be found getting nasty and not so truthful as early as the 60's. I would be all for getting rid of PAC's.

Did you notice something in the job creating campaign ad of the Republican rising star to our east, Governor Walker? As he pats himself on the back for Wisc. being, not last but 4th in the nation in job creation, just above them in 3rd is.....................MINNESOTA!!!!! Thank you Mark Dayton!!!!!

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/stat...dwest-jobs-cre/

"Walker doesn’t say it to the camera, but fine print on the screen says the ad’s claim is based on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics’ Current Employment Statistics (CES) for the period of July 2013 to July 2014.

He’s talking about the most recent one-year period, not his entire term.

Wisconsin added 36,100 jobs in that one-year time frame, which does place it third among the 10 Midwest states, behind Indiana and Michigan.

Here is how the picture looks:

States ranked by on growth in number of jobs, July 2013-14

Private-sector jobs added

National rank on jobs added

1. Indiana

8th

2. Michigan

11th

3. Wisconsin

20th

4. Minnesota

21st

5. Ohio

24th

6. Illinois

25th

7. North Dakota

29th

8. Iowa

33rd

9. Nebraska

45th

10. South Dakota

48th

In the comparison, Walker used preliminary July 2014 data, which will be adjusted in one month. A Bureau of Labor Statistics official said it was reasonable to compare that figure to the July 2013 figure, with the caveat that the July 2014 figure will change.

Behind the numbers

A subtle but important note: In his claim, Walker uses the raw number of jobs created as his measuring stick -- not the percentage increase, which is the measure preferred by economists. Using the percentage change allows for a better comparison, due to the varying size of states.

That is, smaller states like South Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa have fewer people and a smaller economic base to start from.

But it’s notable that even on that measure, Wisconsin outperformed states with larger economies and populations such as Ohio and Illinois over the last year.

And when the percentage growth is used, Wisconsin only slips a bit -- to fourth-highest among the 10.

Another point to consider, also important, is Walker’s use of the monthly jobs data.

Those monthly numbers are extrapolated from a survey of 3 percent of state businesses. As such, they are subject to considerable revisions and include a wide margin of error.

Walker himself has called the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages, which is based on a census of 96 percent of employers, the "gold standard" for jobs.

Not long after taking office, Walker’s spokesman issued an email statement in March 2011 saying the governor would use the quarterly data because of his "commitment to use verifiable, actual job counts, not just monthly job estimates."

That said, in the new ad, Walker does signal he’s using the monthly estimates this time -- he refers to "the latest" numbers, which go through July 2014. By contrast, the more-accurate quarterly data lags behind by six months. The most recent quarterly data ends with the last quarter of 2013.

Campaign spokeswoman Alleigh Marre told us that timeliness was one factor in the campaign’s use of the monthly numbers. And we think it is defensible to use it to provide insight into the latest trends. It is regularly used and reported by economists and news outlets.

In our own Walk-O-Meter, as we track progress toward Walker’s 250,000 private-sector job pledge, we use the solid quarterly jobs figures from 2011, 2012 and 2013 to provide the best picture for the first three full years of Walker’s term. Then, to give a sense of the most recent pictures, we use the most recent monthly jobs numbers.

Our most recent tally shows 147,187 jobs to go. We have rated the promise Stalled.

Finally, Walker defined the "Midwest" as 10 states -- the same states Burke used in her claim.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics’ midwest regional office covers those 10 states, and typically cites only the 10. In some instances, the agency adds two more -- Missouri and Kansas.

Wisconsin ranks fourth of 12 on raw number of jobs added in the year.

Our rating

Walker’s new TV ad says the latest jobs figures show Wisconsin is third in the Midwest on the number of jobs created.

The number checks out, using the measuring stick and timeframe Walker chose. To be sure, the monthly numbers he uses are not as reliable as quarterly ones, which Walker himself has labeled the "gold standard."

But by using raw numbers to measure the increase, instead of a percentage-based approach that levels the playing field, he gives Wisconsin -- and himself -- a bit of a boost.

We rate Walker’s claim Mostly True."

I guess read and come to your own conclusion

And another.Again, read and come to your own conclusion

http://www.startribune.com/blogs/277231662.html

"The Bureau of Labor Statistics has released its most recent Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages, the higher-quality but time-delayed job statistics that go deep into the state and county level.

The numbers, now available through the first quarter of 2014, paint a less promising picture of job growth in Minnesota last year than we've been seeing in the monthly job numbers.

According to the new data, which everyone agrees is more reliable than the monthly numbers, Minnesota ranked 41st in the nation in private sector job growth from March 2013 to March 2014, with a growth rate of 0.8 percent.

That ranks last in the Midwest. Behind Michigan, behind Iowa, behind Illinois, and, unfortunately, behind Wisconsin.

As you can see, if you look at the data going back two or three or five years, Minnesota's performance starts to look better. But growth has been slowing down.

If you look closely at this chart, you can see Minnesota's maroon line leveling off in the most recent 12-month period.

John Schmid at the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported on this data a week ago, pointing out that Wisconsin ranked 33rd in the nation, but ahead of Minnesota and Illinois.

In the final quarterly jobs report before November's election, Wisconsin continued to lag the nation and most of the Midwest in its rate of job creation, although it leapfrogged two neighboring states — providing new ammunition for both sides in the heated gubernatorial race.

Wisconsin gained 28,712 private-sector jobs in the 12-month period from March 2013 to March 2014, a 1.26% growth rate that ranks the state 33rd among the 50 states for the period, Thursday's report showed.

The state's job-creation pace was virtually unchanged from the previous quarter, when Wisconsin added jobs at a rate of 1.27%. Its rate during the latest period surpassed neighboring Illinois and Minnesota, however, because job creation in those two states slowed.

The same data, however, also show that Wisconsin continues to trail the rest of its Midwest peers: Michigan, Iowa, Ohio and Indiana.

The Journal-Sentinel does not report the monthly numbers without issuing gigantic caveats, and this is a good example of why. The new quarterly data doesn't square with the monthly job figures that have been coming out all year, which are drawn from the Current Employment Statistics program. According to that data, Minnesota added 39,800 private sector jobs from March 2013 to March 2014.

But if we have to choose between the two datasets, the QCEW wins out. It shows that Minnesota only added 19,000 jobs over that period, less than half the number shown in the monthly reports"

Watched fox9 last night, a little election history thing, they said ads and campaigns could be found getting nasty and not so truthful as early as the 60's. I would be all for getting rid of PAC's.

Ah, another who wants the government to control speech in violation of the Constitution. What is it that makes folks want to stifle the freedom of others?

What the bleep do PAC's have to do with freedom? PAC's are all special interest dollars, juss as bias as anything else that came before them, just spend a heck of lot more $$$ without being legally tied to a candidate. Political system would not change without them, just less $$$$ spent in ads. The consevative base should love and be all over that ideA!

What the bleep do PAC's have to do with freedom? PAC's are all special interest dollars, juss as bias as anything else that came before them, just spend a heck of lot more $$$ without being legally tied to a candidate. Political system would not change without them, just less $$$$ spent in ads. The consevative base should love and be all over that ideA!

So only those who control media companies should get to express their opinions? Why not the people? Have you read the Constitution? Did you like it?

Sorry Del, you are totally missing my pointvand between "separation of church and state" and now this you are slighly over reaching constitutional issues. Wharever.

My point regarding PAC's is that they dont necessarily change the outcome of an election but do put 10x or 100x more money into it, in essence just more money wasted that may come back to taxpayer in the end since most so concerned bout so many taxes here, aka conservative.

So you think the people that"own or control" the media companies are entitled to do whatever they want on airwaves? Totally untrue. They can support a candidate off air but MUST air all ads regardless of affiliation if properly paying for them as all other advertisers do.

EX. Glen Taylor abd Tribune must print all candidates ads if any given ad a party or organization meets requirements to have ad printed (money, space in paper,ad approved on time, etc). They legally cannot say no just to help their side. In other words media companies cannot push their personal agenda through declining ads from competitors, although some could very easily claim stations like msnbc and fox already do this through regular programing like Limbaugh, Cavuto, etc..

No. Hypocrites and frauds are those who post snotty, derogatory comments about other people who DO run for office when they don't have the courage of their convictions to run for office themselves.

Ufatz which office you running for?

Since you are calling me names, if you are not running for office what does that make you?

Sorry Del, you are totally missing my pointvand between "separation of church and state" and now this you are slighly over reaching constitutional issues. Wharever.

My point regarding PAC's is that they dont necessarily change the outcome of an election but do put 10x or 100x more money into it, in essence just more money wasted that may come back to taxpayer in the end since most so concerned bout so many taxes here, aka conservative.

So you think the people that"own or control" the media companies are entitled to do whatever they want on airwaves? Totally untrue. They can support a candidate off air but MUST air all ads regardless of affiliation if properly paying for them as all other advertisers do.

EX. Glen Taylor abd Tribune must print all candidates ads if any given ad a party or organization meets requirements to have ad printed (money, space in paper,ad approved on time, etc). They legally cannot say no just to help their side. In other words media companies cannot push their personal agenda through declining ads from competitors, although some could very easily claim stations like msnbc and fox already do this through regular programing like Limbaugh, Cavuto, etc..

They get to endorse candidates in their monopoly newspaper and decide what and how to report the news. The selection of stories and the tone of them amounts, along with the endorsements and editorials amounts to massive free promotion for the favored candidate.

And if that advertising, negative and positive didn't work folks wouldn't do it. And you seem to allude to somehow private expenditures on political speech come back to taxpayers. Would you explain that?

BTW donating is speech, look it up.

DEL, I can agree with you to a point. Yes, all programming, ideas, stories and such can be one sided ( as I have mentioned b4 fox, msnbc, etc some consider this way), BUT ads on paper or commercialson tv are not included in this as they are paid for by someone to the station or paper. Ads do not get preferential treatment based on views, those are all about being paid for by whoever gets the slot first (right, I think?).

DEL, I can agree with you to a point. Yes, all programming, ideas, stories and such can be one sided ( as I have mentioned b4 fox, msnbc, etc some consider this way), BUT ads on paper or commercialson tv are not included in this as they are paid for by someone to the station or paper. Ads do not get preferential treatment based on views, those are all about being paid for by whoever gets the slot first (right, I think?).

I have no information about how someone like the star Tribune decides on Ad placement. I do see the slanted stories and editorial page endorsements that are free and better than advertising. Shouldn't the value of that endorsement be calculated as a contribution and limited by federal law? smirk

Tightening

Posted on November 2, 2014 by Mitch Berg

GOP gubernatorial candidate Jeff Johnson has been outspent at every turn of this race by the DFL noise machine. With a few exceptions, the media sandbagged him, and more importantly, ignored Gov. Dayton’s many glaring faws, consistently throughout the campaign.

Throughout all of that, Johnson has been counting on a late surge of independents throughout this race.

And maybe it’s starting to happen; The latest KSTP poll is showing some movement in the middle of the electorate:

In the governor’s race, incumbent Democrat Mark Dayton still leads Republican Jeff Johnson 47 percent to 42 percent. Hannah Nicollet of the Independence Party is at 2 percent tied with Libertarian candidate Chris Holbrook. Another 6 percent are either undecided or support other candidates. Dayton lead by 12 points a month ago and five points two weeks ago.

“Independents often swing elections and Mark Dayton had a lead among independents and that lead is now gone,” says Larry Jacobs of the University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute after reviewing our survey data. Independents are often a volatile block of voters. Two weeks ago Dayton led Johnson by six points among independents. Now he trails by 12.

and before you jump to the conclusion that every single one of those undecided voters must vote for Johnson to have a chance – turnout also matters; if Democrats stay home, that’s good for another extra couple points for Johnson – at the very least more points the Democrats fraud machine is going to have to generate from thin air.

I can hardly wait for Jill's party... Laie_16.gif

Tightening

GOP gubernatorial candidate Jeff Johnson has been outspent at every turn of this race by the DFL noise machine. With a few exceptions, the media sandbagged him, and more importantly, ignored Gov. Dayton’s many glaring faws, consistently throughout the campaign.

Throughout all of that, Johnson has been counting on a late surge of independents throughout this race.

And maybe it’s starting to happen; The latest KSTP poll is showing some movement in the middle of the electorate:

In the governor’s race, incumbent Democrat Mark Dayton still leads Republican Jeff Johnson 47 percent to 42 percent. Hannah Nicollet of the Independence Party is at 2 percent tied with Libertarian candidate Chris Holbrook. Another 6 percent are either undecided or support other candidates. Dayton lead by 12 points a month ago and five points two weeks ago.

“Independents often swing elections and Mark Dayton had a lead among independents and that lead is now gone,” says Larry Jacobs of the University of Minnesota Humphrey Institute after reviewing our survey data. Independents are often a volatile block of voters. Two weeks ago Dayton led Johnson by six points among independents. Now he trails by 12.

and before you jump to the conclusion that every single one of those undecided voters must vote for Johnson to have a chance – turnout also matters; if Democrats stay home, that’s good for another extra couple points for Johnson – at the very least more points the Democrats fraud machine is going to have to generate from thin air.

I still think Dayton is going to pull it off, although by a tighter margin. I'm thinking Mills up here may win. Nolan isn't Oberstar.

Nationally, the Democrats are heading for a thrashing. You know it's going to be bad for them when they are already talking about voting against Harry Reid for Senate minority leader

I have no information about how someone like the star Tribune decides on Ad placement. I do see the slanted stories and editorial page endorsements that are free and better than advertising. Shouldn't the value of that endorsement be calculated as a contribution and limited by federal law? smirk

DEL, I dont know, but under that context of endorsement doesnt that come back to haunt your views under "freedom of speech" if editorials and advertising is limited by federal law?

Regardless of views, I have enjoyed your conversation immensely Delchecchi, thank you.

DEL, I dont know, but under that context of endorsement doesnt that come back to haunt your views under "freedom of speech" if editorials and advertising is limited by federal law?

Regardless of views, I have enjoyed your conversation immensely Delchecchi, thank you.

You are right. My point is somehow newspapers and other media get special privileges compared to the rest of the citizens. I can't (not that I could) donate 50,000 to some politician's campaign but the strib can give him free stuff worth way more.

Im not aware of any "special" priveleges they can get away with, and im not aware of businesses giving anything away for free other than cash to support a campaign or PAC, and recently some businesses have been hit by either their customers (Target) or unions for supporting a given side.

Tightening

Dayton +5 and the poll sample was D+8...