• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gov Dayton

BuckSutherland

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LMITOUT

• delcecchi

• Big Dave2

• swamptiger

Pretty funny Big Dave.

It reminds me of Pee Wee every time Limit gets boxed in and has nothing to offer.

He'd have to box me in, first.

I don't know how the county does it all. All I really know is that it's basicially an absentee ballot.

I do know this much, however. When my 3 kids were 18 and living with me they were registered voters, and got ballots mailed to them at my house. After they left, ballots no longer showed up for them. How this happens I have no clue.

I voted absentee yesterday since I'll be out of occupied territory next week. What they do is hand you a ballot request form and if you want you can have the ballot mailed to you. I wanted to vote right there so they handed me the ballot after giving them the filled-in ballot request form and I voted in the lobby. When I walked over and turned it in all they did is make sure my last four digits of my SSN matched on the request form and the ballot envelope and called it good. crazy

Del brought up some interesting questions that i didn't know, so me being me I got in touch with our county auditor/treasurer after work and tossed them by her. It's interesting.

I got tossed a ton of good info that I'm going to try and puke out in regular guy lingo.

In a nutshell, the county is just a gathering point for data and info and it all gets forwarded to the state. From there it gets tossed back down to the county. So................

If someone is registered to vote in Avoca and moves to say, Rochester, that person's name is taken off the voter registry for Avoca and moved to Rochester.

If someone who is registered to vote in Avoca dies, that death cert gets sent to the state and their name is taken off the registered voter files.

Is there room for error? Yes. After talking to the local auditor/treasurer tho I don't see any more room for error than requiring someone to actually go to a voting station and vote. Right now I can go to Worthington and say my name is Dave Evens and if his name is on the list of registered voters they will hand me a ballot.

I can say it would be tough to try and impersonate someone else around here. The big town of Avoca has a population of about 125. We all know each other. Murray county has a population of aboot 8000. Tough to walk into the government center in Slayton without 4 people saying, "Hi Eric."

Is it perfect? No. Is there room for error? Of course. Again, unless I"m not seeing something the room for error is no different than requiring a photo ID at the polling station.

Interesting Eric, you gave me a flashback when voting in the primaries when an elderly person asked mg name but could not hear very well so they flipped the book over and told me to just point at my name. I could have picked any name on that page and returned later under my rightful name.

Del brought up some interesting questions that i didn't know, so me being me I got in touch with our county auditor/treasurer after work and tossed them by her. It's interesting.

I got tossed a ton of good info that I'm going to try and puke out in regular guy lingo.

In a nutshell, the county is just a gathering point for data and info and it all gets forwarded to the state. From there it gets tossed back down to the county. So................

If someone is registered to vote in Avoca and moves to say, Rochester, that person's name is taken off the voter registry for Avoca and moved to Rochester.

If someone who is registered to vote in Avoca dies, that death cert gets sent to the state and their name is taken off the registered voter files.

Is there room for error? Yes. After talking to the local auditor/treasurer tho I don't see any more room for error than requiring someone to actually go to a voting station and vote. Right now I can go to Worthington and say my name is Dave Evens and if his name is on the list of registered voters they will hand me a ballot.

I can say it would be tough to try and impersonate someone else around here. The big town of Avoca has a population of about 125. We all know each other. Murray county has a population of aboot 8000. Tough to walk into the government center in Slayton without 4 people saying, "Hi Eric."

Is it perfect? No. Is there room for error? Of course. Again, unless I"m not seeing something the room for error is no different than requiring a photo ID at the polling station.

Sounds good. Probably different if your name is Eric Anderson in Minneapolis.

You have to give an accurate street address, which makes that a lot tougher. If your polling place isn't asking for a street address then they are doing it wrong.

What you are describing is voter impersonation, which is the only type of voter fraud an ID would prevent. For the 2008 election, exactly 0 people in Minnesota were convicted of that type of voter fraud. In fact every case of voter fraud that was convicted in Minnesota were of the same variety: felons voting. Countrywide since the year 2000 (so 6 different elections here in Minnesota, but 13 for states that have elections yearly) there have been exactly 10 votes cast as voter impersonation.

So put aside your political affiliation for just a second and ask yourself why the government should spend the money providing everyone with free IDs to prevent a problem that frankly doesn't exist?

You have to give an accurate street address, which makes that a lot tougher. If your polling place isn't asking for a street address then they are doing it wrong.

What you are describing is voter impersonation, which is the only type of voter fraud an ID would prevent. For the 2008 election, exactly 0 people in Minnesota were convicted of that type of voter fraud. In fact every case of voter fraud that was convicted in Minnesota were of the same variety: felons voting. Countrywide since the year 2000 (so 6 different elections here in Minnesota, but 13 for states that have elections yearly) there have been exactly 10 votes cast as voter impersonation.

So put aside your political affiliation for just a second and ask yourself why the government should spend the money providing everyone with free IDs to prevent a problem that frankly doesn't exist?

I guess that you haven't been following the reports that 6+% of non-citizens are registered to vote in areas where studies have been done.

And how would one go about detecting and prosecuting voter impersonation? I walk into some polling place and claim to be someone I am not, vote, and leave. It only gets detected if the person I claimed to be shows up later. If they are dead or living in Florida it seems unlikely to happen. And if it is noticed, how would the authorities catch me? DNA on the paper where I signed?

It is convenient to imagine hordes of shifty-eyed non-resident aliens descending on polling places and voting against MY guy. Most of the studies I know of-and there aren't many- do not confirm anything like that taking place. Of course there may be people voting who should not be voting. And in the good old days ballot box stuffing and paying people to vote was common.....go clear back to civil war times.

I think the opponents to voter ID, aside from their fear it will intimidate unsophisticated voters also take the position that to initiate a massive program to correct what is generally confirmed to be a minor problem see it much like using a nuclear device to kill a fly.

Might there be an occasional case of voter fraud? Sure, although if you stop and think about it WHY would anybody do it....knowing it won't swing the election. The remedy is not worth all the additional red tape and political nonsense.

I suspect most of you folks agree with me on that.

Del is right Nick, if you dont think there is a problem you wont b looking, and if you do wanna look the only place/time to catch them is actually voting.

Eric, 100% for voting id, 1 apple in the bushel I have a difference on.

Personally I would like to vote independent unfortunately I dont think they have remotely done themselves justice to get their names or views out this time. When Dayton won I did vote for Horner.

Back to gov. dayton...

He was scheduled to be at a "Get out the vote" rally in Mankato on Wednesday.

But it seems he mysteriously fell ill.

Hmmm.... confused

Anyone heard from gov. dayton ?? Any word in news ??

I hate to think he may not be up to the job..

It is convenient to imagine hordes of shifty-eyed non-resident aliens descending on polling places and voting against MY guy. Most of the studies I know of-and there aren't many- do not confirm anything like that taking place. Of course there may be people voting who should not be voting. And in the good old days ballot box stuffing and paying people to vote was common.....go clear back to civil war times.

I think the opponents to voter ID, aside from their fear it will intimidate unsophisticated voters also take the position that to initiate a massive program to correct what is generally confirmed to be a minor problem see it much like using a nuclear device to kill a fly.

Might there be an occasional case of voter fraud? Sure, although if you stop and think about it WHY would anybody do it....knowing it won't swing the election. The remedy is not worth all the additional red tape and political nonsense.

I suspect most of you folks agree with me on that.

Dayton/Emmer 2500 votes. Franken/Coleman 225 votes.

Sorry, don't agree. Fraud is just another get out the vote tool.

Nick, it's not just the ID thing. My concern is with the entire process. By the way, I voted against the ID ammendment a couple years ago. The no vote was based on what I feel is legislative wussiness but that's a topic for a different thread.

Voting is a pretty serious thing and everyone who can, should vote. Those who can't (non-citizens) should not be voting. Showing up the day of the election with an electric bill with your name and address proves residency. It does nothing to prove citizenship. Is the number of non-citizens voting a big one? I don't know, but if it's 1 or more it's too many.

I do not believe our Government could come up with a 100% solution to get voter fraud to zero. Not that we should not try to get it as low as possible but if we have the elected officials do it, it won't get done right. They seem to always mess up whatever they do and make it all the worse for those of us who follow the rules.

Now we would have to look at the machines, who does the counting and on and on.

They will always be someone doing something they should not, It's the American way nowadays.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I do not believe our Government could come up with a 100% solution to get voter fraud to zero. Not that we should not try to get it as low as possible but if we have the elected officials do it, it won't get done right. They seem to always mess up whatever they do and make it all the worse for those of us who follow the rules.

Now we would have to look at the machines, who does the counting and on and on.

They will always be someone doing something they should not, It's the American way nowadays.

Oh they will have it some day, but we may not like the out come when the wrong leader uses it!

full-27051-50604-images0kcqyzoi.jpg

Don't forget come election day.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2014/..._off_street.php

Mothers of children with afflictions they believe could be treated by medical marijuana claim Governor Dayton "suggested" to them during a private March 13 meeting that they should just buy pot off the street in lieu of having legal access. (Watch video of one mother detailing what was said at the meeting at the bottom of this post.)

According to a WCCO report, Dayton wasn't contradicting that version of events as recently as Wednesday. "The governor does not deny he told at least one of the parents to buy illegal pot off the street," Pat Kessler reported.

His tune changed during a news conference today, however.

See also:

When will medical marijuana be legal in Minnesota? [FEATURE]

"The mothers of sick children a couple days ago say that you suggested to them to buy marijuana on the street. Did you do that?" a reporter asked.

"No," the governor replied.

"You did not?" the reporter followed up.

"No," Dayton said.

"What are they talking about?" the reporter said.

"I don't know. I've said all I'm gonna say about medical marijuana... I'm just not going to discuss it further," the governor replied.

Assuming the governor was telling the truth today, then either Kessler's report is false or the mothers are lying about what Dayton said. But during a conference call with reporters earlier this month, Dayton offered up comments about pot that sounded similar to what the mothers claim he said during their meeting. For instance:

We got in touch with Matt Swenson, Dayton's press secretary, in hopes he'd clarify things. But he repeatedly directed us to listen to the audio of today's press conference and wouldn't respond to questions about whether Kessler's report accurately characterized the governor's comments.

If nothing else, today's developments demonstrate that the governor's handling of the medical marijuana issue isn't getting any less bizarre or inconsistent.

-- Follow Aaron Rupar on Twitter at @atrupar. Got a tip? Drop him a line at [email protected].

I'm ok with each individual being responsible for funding their own ID.

How is that not the same thing as a poll tax though?

Right. Supreme Court has already said making people pay to be allowed to vote is not allowed. In fact anything that creates a significant impediment to a citizen voting is prohibited.

Right. Supreme Court has already said making people pay to be allowed to vote is not allowed. In fact anything that creates a significant impediment to a citizen voting is prohibited.

.......apparently like voter ID

Another one!

http://blogs.mprnews.org/capitol-view/20...rijuana-pledge/

Medical marijuana advocates are letting voters know how Minnesota’s gubernatorial candidates view their issue, just five days before the election.

The group Minnesotans for Compassionate Care asked five candidates for a commitment to expand the state’s new medical marijuana law next year to include more patients. Republican candidate Jeff Johnson, Hannah Nicollet of the Independence Party, Libertarian Party candidate Chris Holbrook and Chris Wright of the Grassroots Party all signed the pledge. DFL Gov. Mark Dayton did not.

“We’re really very disappointed that he did not sign it,” said the group’s executive director Heather Azzi today at a news conference.

Several medical marijuana patients took turns criticizing the governor for not signing the pledge and for supporting only a limited bill last session. Patrick McClellan of Bloomington said he voted for Dayton four years ago, but he’s not sure he’ll do it again.

“I believe that Gov. Dayton looked to law enforcement and not science when deciding which conditions would be covered by the new program, and because of that, thousands of people will continue to suffer needlessly,” McClellan said.

The group highlighted positions that have been known since the general election ballot was set.

Dayton has said he wants to see the new law fully implemented before considering any expansion. He told reporters today that it’s premature to talk about proposed legislation on any topic.

“I’ve told every group that wants to talk to me about legislation you’re going to have to wait until after the election,” Dayton said.

Dayton also said no one personally contacted him about signing the pledge. A spokesman for his campaign later said they received the group’s request late Wednesday.

Earlier in the day, Republican candidate Jeff Johnson said that expanding the medical marijuana law is not a priority, but he would support it.

“They came up with something that helps some people, which I think is great,” Johnson said. “But it didn’t help enough people. It didn’t help as many people as we could have.”

Johnson stressed that he would want tight controls on an expanded law to prevent it from becoming a back door to recreational use.

Well lots of people have been claiming "voter ID" IS a significant hurdle, thus the difference of opinion regarding candidates.

Back to gov. dayton...

He was scheduled to be at a "Get out the vote" rally in Mankato on Wednesday.

But it seems he mysteriously fell ill.

Hmmm.... confused

Anyone heard from gov. dayton ?? Any word in news ??

I hate to think he may not be up to the job..

Funny, he was invited to an interview on MPR and another on WCCO (WDFL) and he ran away from those this week too. Those aren't exactly DFL unfriendly, so why the tuck tail and run routine???

33 states currently have voter ID laws.

The U.S. supreme court ruled in 2008 they do not violate the Constitution.

Poll tax ?? laugh *snort*

What about the stamp it takes to mail in your ballot ?

Isn't that poll tax ? confused

And gov. dayton was for marijuana laws, before he was against them, before he was for them, (again) and now doesn't have an opinion.

If you want to know what he thinks, ask tina flint-smith.

dayton is just her messenger boy. wink

And gov. dayton was for marijuana laws, before he was against them, before he was for them, (again) and now doesn't have an opinion.

Exactly like McCain/Palin

You spelled Messinger wrong. wink

The last debate is this evening (on Halloween, how convenient for Dayton). Surprised he didn't schedule one of the previous debates at 2AM too (no doubt his handlers tried).