• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Interior finishing

kevineng

Bought a unfinished house, so the summer project is getting it ready. I would like to go with the thinnest cedar tongue and groove I can get. The only thing I have been able to find is from menards, 5/16 unfinished T&G. It'll do, but if I could find prefinished stuff ( I hate staining and/or painting), that would make my day.

Just wondering what other guys have done or if anyone knows of a place where a guy can get a good deal and product.

That's probably the stuff you will hear most about. Yes, it is kind of a pain to seal but with a sprayer it goes fast. Be careful with stain in that it does have a tendency to darken a house. I used good quality clear sealer from Sherwin Williams(about $45/gal)and really like the look you get. The grain does come out with the clear sealer. I've seen many clear varnishes yellow a lot in a year or two and I just don't like the look. Watch Menard's, it's buy one get one or on sale quite a bit.

I have been stocking up on this stuff for the last 6 months, I just buy it as I can afford it and wait for it to be on sale. Black Friday weekend it was $5 a pack, and every 6 weeks or so it is %50 off (with a rebate, or buy one get one free, same thing). I have yet to see pre-finished. In my research I have found it is a good idea to finish both sides, as it helps reduce expanding due to moisture absorption

I installed this in my house and have had no problems. I purchased a sprayer and sprayed the back side with one coat and the front with one. After i installed it and filled all the nail holes i brushed on a second coat. Have had no troubles in 6 years. I used marine grade Cabot from fleet farm.

Looks like the way to go, guess I'll have to man up and finish it my self. Now, just wait and see if the stuff goes on sale

It will go on sale, just be patient. It hasn't been on sale in a while I believe, so my guess is within a week or 2 it will be on sale.

JRB did you use pine or cedar? I want to find a product to use on mine that won't yellow over time.

Over the last 5 years it has gone on sale every 6-8 weeks. I haven't watched the ads for it recently, though. It was not on sale today when I was there. Paid $15/bundle for it.

Just going to put this out there, I have the cedar paneling in my ice cabin, it's real cedar veneer. You can get the 4x8 sheets at menards for around 32.00. I'm not sure how that compares price wise with the T&G. It's only about 1/8 thick so it might save some weight on the house too. Sorry about the horizontal pic, you would run this style vertically of corse. full-26462-45512-image.jpg

We used the menards TG. Ran the boards horizontal, above the counter top line/wheel well line with the flat side out, so the grooves are wide. And then ran the side with the 4 inch groove OUT and the boards verticle below the countertop line. Painted the lower area and stained the upper.

It made it look like it was "wanes coating".

full-6146-45681-paint2.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.