• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"C" Season

DonBo

Wow guys, what a horrible week to hunt. Hope ya got 'er done yesterday cause it looks like the rest of the week is gonna be cold and soggy.

I waiting to get after it with the late season archery starting Thursday. Long range forecast does not look very good for that either...

Weather definitely put a wrench in things for me this weekend. Birds were very quiet and not really around. New property attempt, which always proves difficult alone, but this was special. We sat in places they see turkeys on a daily basis. Nothing showed so I went to a roost spot. My dad got a nice Tom a half hour after I left that field. It came in silent and shied away from the decoys. This morning same place, had a Tom come in and stop at 50 yards. Could not get a shot with the bad angle, so I struck out again here in Minnesota. One more try in Wisconsin at the end of next month.

It was tough, for sure. Patience was the key.

Yep it sucks out there ! yesterday I called a single tom off the roost and right in front of my brother in law , who is a first timer . Of corse the bird got a little spooked at 24 yards and was about to scram as he shot and missed !! The problem is this wind ! No way can I call one in like this !

Tough hunting in 508, seen a few birds but they were really shy.

I will be at it again in the morning.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

That's how B season was for me too.. Shy birds, could get them to come but not fully commit. Decoys, no decoys, calling, little to no calling even when they weren't henned up..

We got it done this evening ! My brother in law got a good tom in 508 zone ,we battled the winds an rain and got him in one of our food plots, he came in to check our decoys out

Yeah, good luck to those still trying for the next few days.

It just so happened our schedule wouldn't put us in the bluff land woods until this weekend. A quick look at the forecast showed the rain ending on Thursday. Hoping....

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Although it's miserable for us the turkeys will still be doing their thing. Open areas and if you get some shelter from the wind all the better. Good Luck everyone. We hit it starting Thursday. It's going be fun getting blinds set up in this mess.

Got a C license and sounds like the weather,wind and rain is only going to get worse. Last year A season took the hit with bad weather,this year C season is going to get tough. Tough to call when wind is gusting 25+ MPH.

Last year they were in the oaks,this year no acorns left from last year.

This year was a bust for me as well in 507. Had my chance on Saturday morning right away but could not pull him out of the brush for a clean shot at 35 yards. Sunday with the wind, ran and thunder when the alarm went off I rolled over. Hunted some a little later in the morning but tough competition trying to call in 30+mph winds. Normally hunt the A season but with snow the last 2 years I switched to later. Guess I just have bad luck with weather. Always next year.

The birds still fly down and feed, they just do it in different places. The only way to tag a bird is to get out there. Seeing as my last two birds came in frigid temps, snow and high winds, I know it can be done.

Borch gave some great advice. The birds will prefer to be in the open since they can't trust their ears for safety.

Just spied two separate toms following hens to open areas off 169 north of Mankato in a downpour. They are out and about!

Weather has been downright dreadful with every worst possible situation working against us. HEAVY WIND, rain, cold, now snow forecasted, unreal. However I was able to get a bird on Saturday and worked one in close yesterday morning just did not work out. No doubt about it the weather has put a hamper on their moods.

Have been seeing some birds in 508. The birds don't want anything to do with my decoys or calling. I am going back tomorrow morning for one last try. Before this season I had never used a blind. My basic blind worked great, kept me warm and dry.

I know it is a debatable topic.... but do most of you guys use decoys?

I always start with them and let the birds tell me if I should keep using them or not. I think with archery tackle it's the only way to guarantee a slam dunk shot.

I ended up grinding the season out for a jake. Figured I was out all week and needed to get something for my efforts in the snow/wind/rain.

Good job on the Jake!

No bird for me in the C season.

I am hoping to get a bird in Wisconsin later in the month.

I'm not going to complain about tag soup . I think it tastes better then the wild turkey !

Tag soup here also,but love wild turkey. Maybe zone change for me next year?

Heard more gobbling pre hunt scouting,once my season started in the rain I heard nothing.

No question, the weather was horrible... I was in area 507, season C. My first ever turkey hunt. On the last morning I managed to call this guy in on my land and take him. 8 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs (forgot my scale, unfortunately.)full-442-45362-turkey_02.jpg