• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How late into the year will toms be responsive to calling?

1eyeReD

Thinking of picking up an OTC archery turkey tag for season D and on. Question is, would it be worth it? I know of some spots where some gobblers hang out, but just don't know how I'm going to pursue them if I don't have the advantage of calling..

Any help would be great! Thanks!!

1ER

Heck, things are just getting good May 1st! Depending on pressure, birds will probably have heard some calling or seen some decoys by then, but by & large, the beginning of May is a great time to kill a turkey. Definitely worth it!

Even much later in May can be very good. Well after most hens are setting on their nests, toms are still looking.

The latest I ever shot one was May 27th, FOUR toms actually left a couple uninterested hens to come investigate my calling.

You'll never shoot one laying in bed wondering if it's "worthwile" getting up or not.

I've done better as of late during the later seasons. Usually buy leftover tags for them. A few years back, I was outside the cabin in NW WI. in early June and heard one gobble in the distance.

You guys are too awesome. Thanks! I am pumped. Was at an outdoor range in Coon Rapids the other day with some buddies shootin' and one of the guys decides to start messin around on a diaphram call. Low and behold a big ol tom comes struttin down the tree line toward us. Haha too bad we weren't hunting instead (BTW - this is not one of the spots I was talking about. Though I wish could hunt here. I know they open a city hunt every now and then here). But that moment was so awesome, it triggered a fever in my mind. Oh the wife's gonna hate me.

Oh the wife's gonna hate me.

Only one cure for that - take her with once you're hooked!

Ny last 4 birds haver all been in the D season. I don't even apply for the 1st 3 anymore. Just by over the counter grin

These replies just keep getting better and better. I can't believe I was going to pass because I thought I'd be missing out on prime time.

My first 3 birds we taken in the second to last season and those hunts each lasted about 30 minutes a piece, and that's including the time spent sitting there, waiting for it to get light enough to hunt. Those 3 birds came in on a string from their roosting spots.

I have since moved to hunting D and honestly, it's been harder hunting for me than late season. I've stuck with D because of how my schedule falls out that time of year but I would have no problem moving back if things worked out that way.

I think the only time you'd really be hindered by hunting later is if you're hunting a piece of property that's getting hammered every season and the birds are getting wary and worn out. Other than that, the toms are still plenty ready to come find a cooperative hen.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

One of my best seasons was a season "H" a number of years ago. Toms were going strong especial late morning and early afternoon.

Yeah I think I'm going to do it. My bow has been thirsting for some blood while I've been wanting a new experience myself. Plus if I'm lucky, I can get one in for my dad to swat with the 12 gauge which would actually be the more valuable experience for me. Probably going to go pick up some decoys and a few calls.

Doesn't this depend on where you are geographically? I feel that further south and birds are ahead of schedule compared to north.

We hunt far SE Minnesota in Houston county. We used to go for A and B seasons and would always hear lots of gobbling. Now, the land we have access to we can only hunt D season. Last 4-5 years we have heard much less gobbling and it is discouraging especially for a newer hunter. Maybe it's just my isolated experience.........

I would be hunting mostly public in SE MN around Red Wing area to Lake City. I hope the turkeys around there aren't ahead of schedule.

Not sure how much pressure these areas get, but did some hoofin around this past weekend on state forest land and didn't see much for human tracks even on the forestry trails and roads. I'll assume not much activity as far as scouting goes. Any insight on this from you guys?

Lindy, I'm only a half hour north of you and have had very good late season experiences. D season has been quieter for me than the G seasons were. I've actually been thinking about moving out of the D season to a bit later as I think it might be a bit better later on when more hens are sitting on their nests, causing the toms to be out looking more and less live competition.

D season has been quiet for me for the past couple years. Seems all the toms are henned up and won't come in to calling. I have had my best luck in the last 2 weeks of the season.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I have been targeting the c and d seasons for several years now. "A" is just too weather dependent for me. I've had one spectacular "A" and two very tough "A" seasons. Later in the season if I were to pick a prime time it would be the afternoon. They don't always gobble a ton but they commit better than earlier in the day.

Later in the season if I were to pick a prime time it would be the afternoon. They don't always gobble a ton but they commit better than earlier in the day.

Yep, late morning into mid afternoon, if you hear a gobble it's usually relatively easy to get him to committ. Don't go home after the morning gobbling is over.

I'd agree with you. In 4 D seasons I've shot 2 in evening and had many more close encounters at that time than the mornings. The two birds I've shot in the morning have been situations where I've literally been able to sneak up close enough on them and shoot them as soon as they hit the ground. Other than that, the birds have been very frustrating for me in the morning during D season.

1eyeRe. I hunt the same area just a bit south of you. How much snow is left on the north side of the hills? Did you see much for sign? Weather forcast changes all the time but we might hit it about right if we dont get another blizzard! 57

Quote:
Other than that, the birds have been very frustrating for me in the morning during D season.

I guess that sums up my D season experience the last 4-5 years. Guess I should sleep in and start hunting afternoons. Or better yet, try for an earlier or later season.

1eyeRe. I hunt the same area just a bit south of you. How much snow is left on the north side of the hills? Did you see much for sign? Weather forcast changes all the time but we might hit it about right if we dont get another blizzard! 57

As of Sat, there was still quite a bit of snow on the north slopes of hills. But manageable for walking on the forestry road we walked on. My friend along with my son and I made it all the way into the woods to take down one of my treestands and back out without much trouble and he's only about 3 1/2 ft tall. I'd say about ankle to shin high in some spots. I did find some areas that were still knee high though by the corners of fields. Saw a few fresh tracks. But none indicating a group or flock. Of the few tracks we saw, they were loaners. Looked like they came through that morning before we arrived.

full-30035-44390-1eyeredspringscouting.j