• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Team 2: Tom Takers

Scoot

Hi Team 2! It looks like we are comprised of the following members:

HSO Team 2

Scoot Jr - Y

bloc004

Wallydog - M

featherslayer

DrJ

dukhnt

I won't be hunting this year- my son Ryan is the hunter this Spring. I'm not sure what our plan is this Spring yet-- we're scouting localling and also considering hunting near Ottertail Lake (can hunt any zone with my son being the hunter). Let's hear from our teammates!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scoot

• Wallydog

• DrJ

• featherslayer

I'll start by taking a couple of youngens here in SW Idaho 4/8-9

Then off to the Clearwater River country for our 24th season up there on 4/13.......birds beware!

Will get in Oregon and Washington at some point this spring as well.

Best of luck to everyone.

WD

I'm ready for the season but I have to wait for D season. Been out scouting and seen quit a few already in my hunting grounds. I know they will be there come my season, they are there all winter and they stick around and its all on private propery. Now we have to come up with a team name so lets get it rolling, how about Tom Takers.

Tom Takers is okay with me. I'm hunting down east of Caledonia season B. Same spot I've hunted 8 times and have taken 6 toms since I started in 2001. I'm packed and can't wait for the B season.. DrJ GOOD LUCK TO ALL....

Looks like bloc004 and dukhnt is scouting, waiting for thier report.So far looks like we have the season spread out for us but I'm sure we can get it done this year. SCOOT YOU GOT THEM LOCATED YET? I'll be out this weekend again and I'll bring the camera with this time and post a few pictures. Good luck to all of you scouting.

SCOOT YOU GOT THEM LOCATED YET?

Ryan and I went to my "ace in the hole" spot last weekend to ask for permission. I drive by a farm yard every morning for work that has a dozen turkeys in it, including two big toms. We knocked on he door and an old codger slowly walked up. We explained our deal and said Ryan would be the hunter and that he'd be using a bow (who could say no to a 9 year old with a stick and string, right?) The guy turned out to be quite a gentleman who was both kind and informative, but it also turned out that he had hand raised the wild turkeys. He had the eggs flown in from Pennsylvania and incubated them at his place. He said one of the toms had a "beard so long it drags on the ground everywhere he goes". He also said "It wouldn't be much of a hunt. If you got out of your truck and held your hand out, they'd come over to you for food." We lost interest really quickly at that point.

However, he invited us in and showed us a dozen or so mounts he had done of various ducks, deer, pheasant, and other animals. He showed us a bunch of pictures from his trapping days too. He was really a nice and very cool guy! But... not a turkey connection for our hunt.

Eventually we moved on and never spotted a turkey. I put my father-in-law on the job and it turns out he had a small group of birds on his land last weekend. He also found a flock of two dozen. My wife is out of town until Monday, so I doubt I'll be able to scout this weekend. Hopefully we'll locate them next weekend and I'll be able to track down the land owner. If that fails, I've got my cousin working on a spot for us the next weekend. So, that's a long answer to a short question. But, we're working on it!

Scoot, if the old gentleman really did release those turkeys himself, he's in violation of the law. When Minnesota started their trap and trasplant program, they changed the law to make releasing pen raised turkeys illegal.

Pen raised turkeys are prone to all kinds of diseases that wild turkeys are not, puting the wild birds in the area at risk. Along with the disease issue, these turkeys are poluting the true wild turkey gene pool as well, making ALL the turkeys in thea rea less than they could be.

Not saying you should turn the guy in, but you probably should. In my opinion the guy is probably just talk'n you cause he doesn't want you shooting "his" turkeys.

Not saying you should turn the guy in, but you probably should. In my opinion the guy is probably just talk'n you cause he doesn't want you shooting "his" turkeys.

Huh, that's all interesting info that I had no idea about. It's funny, when we pulled into the yard the turkeys all ran like crazy- just like wild turkeys might do. When we got out of the truck they didn't come running to us looking for food, like he said they would because they were pen raised. Hmmm... I'm starting to think you might be right on the "just talk'n" me part. ...and, it's his land and he's certainly perfectly fine saying that we aren't welcome to hunt there.

Given that I think you're right and he was likely coming up with a nice excuse to keep us out of there, and the fact that he was a very nice gentleman, I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. He really did seem like a nice guy. Even if he was in the wrong, I'd have a tough time sending trouble his way. I'd definitely go and talk with him first.

Another thing to think about - I wouldn't give up on the area entirely. As we continue to thaw out, those birds may break up and spread out across the landscape finding residence on adjacent property that you can possibly get permission on. I'm with Don, sounds like the guy's a world class story teller to me.

I will be hunting season B in Minnesota south of New Ulm. I do have to work two of the days of my hunt, so I will be hunting the 22nd - 24th. My goal this year is to get the harvest on video. So if a jake wanders in and the camera is rolling he is bound to get popped.

Birds are roaring out here! Headed up Sunday for the Tuesday opener.

Best of luck to everyone.

WD

Hi Guys, Anyone know who "bloc004" is. Lets get a name for our team so we can post that 1st bird under something other than Team 2. Good Luck DrJ....

beardslayers or featherslayers is a couple more, I agree with DrJ we need a name.

BTW, my son and I hunted with a buddy in ND yesterday- what a fun day! My buddy had the only tag, but four of us went: my buddy, his soon-to-be four year old son, my son, and me. The weather was perfect and we saw a boat load of turkeys! At some point I'll write up a story with pictures, but I'll offer this spoiler alert on the ND hunt- the day had highs and lows, but ended with four big smiles.

Heard a rumor you guys did have a fun day. Did you hunt the blind I use for the Twist of Fate archery hunt? Seem's I always have and or see turkeys there while archery hunting.

Can't wait for the story.

Hi Tom,

I was just about to e-mail you! Yes, we started out there and had a very interesting encounter there (I won't spoil the details, but it was funny), then bounced around at a couple other spots with a pop up blind. We ended up in the field, just off the small road to the North of the TOF blind about 200 yards in the pop up blind.

Tom Takers if fine with me. So lets go Take some Toms and get this team on track for the big win. Good Luck to All DrJ.........

A little late to the party...but here! I'm hunting the first season in Willow River State Park in Hudson, WI and 4th season on some land around Hudson. I took the day off today to hunt and it was miserable! Lot of action in the morning and a few sightings throughout the day. Couldn't close the deal because of some brush in the way, but cleared that out and hope to have one down tomorrow morning. I had 3-4 going before they flew down. Then I had a group of about 8-10 birds with 6 of them in full strut! It was a hell of a show and some really nice birds. None of these birds would decoy and hung out at around 30-40 yds, thus the purpose of clearing some brush (deadfalls) to open those shots.

Go get 'em, bloc! I'm headed out in the AM with my nine year old son, Ryan, to give it a go. There aren't many birds in our general area, but there are a few near my father-in-law's place, so we're going to give it a try tomorrow morning. I hoped to scout yesterday or today, but didn't get a chance to given work, home, life-related conflicts. Hopefully we'll find a dumb one that we can get close. Should be fun trying regardless. If there's anything worth reporting, I'll definitely check in.

I shot one this morning. It's no record setting bird by any means but an adult. I am hunting a later season as well, but I think we have to submit our first bird, if I read the rules correctly.

Anyway, got out to my spot at about 6 am. Hunkered down and threw out a few calls. I switched to a diaphram call this year, and I will never go back! Hands free is the way to be. I will be using my bow in the later season so I figured I better get used to the mouth calls. I had gobbling all around, it was just a matter of where they were going to come out. I was posted on a straight-away of a walking path.

Here is the Killer B sitting out in front of me.

full-27062-44635-turkey1.jpg

I had a clear shot 40 yds to my right and 40 yds to my left. I had two gobbling closer and closer straight out in the woods. I could hear them working their way to my left, so I turned and faced that way. Out comes this guy and flapped his wings, stood tall, looked around, took one more step and I rolled him. I saw a lot of really nice birds yesterday, but I knew he was an adult, so I was happy to take him. Plus my wife will be happy that I will not be waking the entire house up at 5 am all weekend. He weighed 18 lbs(17.15) with a 9 3/4" beard and 3/4" spurs. I will get the form filled out and submitted.

full-27062-44636-turkey2.jpg

Way to get us on the board Bloc004. Any bird is a trophy in my mind.The excitement can't be beat when you hear that 1st gobble in the morning. I'm done with work for the week now and can't wait till Monday morning. Good Luck to All DrJ...