• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Anyone use an onboard DC alternator charger?

Rockin Rod

Question

Looking at a Stealth or the Minnkota DC alternator charger for my trolling motor batteries for when I go on long excursions up to LOW with no power. Does anyone have any experience with either?

• Answers 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• CaptainMusky

• CAMAN

• Rockin Rod

• pheasantpete

Ha I did a post about this not long ago and received very little input. I don't think anyone uses these things or even know the option is out there.

The stealth is more money but I believe is a far better unit than the minn kota. I found another option but if their equipment is at all reflective of their response to potential customers I will never buy one.

Very impresses with stealth. The guy talked to me for 30 minutes while I explained exactly what I needed and wanted to do. Same cannot be said for some others.

I thought about one and looked into it but on the smaller lakes I fish, I do not run the main motor much at all so it would be of very little advantage for me on these lakes.

Now, if I were fishing larger lakes and making long runs numerous times a day changing locations, then I would more than likely own one.

Captain Musky,

Are you referring to the troll bridge? Looked at that one also, but it doesn't appeal to me as much, and I've heard not such good things about the company.

Not much good on small water,To charge a battery you have to run long and keep RPMs up for extended periods of time.An ocean/greatlake's senareo their a must even with generaters onboard.Myself I cant see much of a advantage here in Mn.Maybe if you spend days on the water,have a cuddy or larger cabin cruiser,and stay off shore for extended periods of time.a small generater would be more effiecient on small water.

so rather than getting all technical, why not put a dc battery isolator between the starting battery and trolling batteries? It is like a check valve that will allow all the batteries to charge but separate the trolling from the start battery. Used them in the fire service for years. Cole Hersee makes them.

Not much good on small water,To charge a battery you have to run long and keep RPMs up for extended periods of time.An ocean/greatlake's senareo their a must even with generaters onboard.Myself I cant see much of a advantage here in Mn.Maybe if you spend days on the water,have a cuddy or larger cabin cruiser,and stay off shore for extended periods of time.a small generater would be more effiecient on small water.

not true! One of the systems will recharge your trolling batteries in 10 minutes for every hr you used your trolling motor on high. Do some research on your alternator's ratings guys. Larger motors are kicking out nearly 50 amps at IDLE. Divert this power to trolling batteries and bammo charged batteries.

The one thing I do not like about the minn kota is it limits each charging bank to 10 amps.

I'm thinking about adding one. My new (to be installed) motor puts out 60amps, 50 at just above an idle. Should be enough to run one of these.

I was hoping that there would be some with experience chiming in but maybe not needed if most fish smaller lakes or have access to electricity over night every night. I'm looking at it for the multi-day trips without electricity. I like roughing it. Plus it's cheaper.

I wouldn't want to be putting 50 amps into my batteries. That will kill a battery in no time.
Again, do some research on how these units work.

Captain Musky,

Are you referring to the troll bridge? Looked at that one also, but it doesn't appeal to me as much, and I've heard not such good things about the company.

Stay N Charge was the other brand I was looking at. narrowed it down to Stealth1 DC (most expensive), Minn Kota and the Stay N Charge.

Minn Kota limits it to 10 amps per bank like I said, where the others do not. Stay N Charge and Stealth1 actually alternate between batteries at timed intervals so the batteries will not overheat.

Using a Switching system to divert the alternator amperage to the trolling batteries I would think would cook the batteries unless you are diligent about turning it off and on.

I was hoping that there would be some with experience chiming in but maybe not needed if most fish smaller lakes or have access to electricity over night every night. I'm looking at it for the multi-day trips without electricity. I like roughing it. Plus it's cheaper.

This is exactly why I am looking at them. I did get some real feedback on muskiefirst regarding the Stealth1. From a user. The guy was very helpful and even offered his number to call and talk about it. He has used the same unit on multiple different boats. Just takes it out when he trades it. The guy that runs Stealth is top notch. I spoke with him for 30 minutes a month or so ago. I would definitely buy from him because so many other companies dont seem interested in helping people out. I am sure more people would buy these if they knew something about them, but information is just hard to come by for most of them.

I wouldn't want to be putting 50 amps into my batteries. That will kill a battery in no time.

The altanator puts 50-60 amps back at your starting battery everytime you run the big motor, Why does it not kill the starting battery?

This sounds like a good idea, it would be nice to keep the trolling batterys topped off because your motors with I pilot and auto pilot will perform much better.

HTB

The altanator puts 50-60 amps back at your starting battery everytime you run the big motor, Why does it not kill the starting battery?

This sounds like a good idea, it would be nice to keep the trolling batterys topped off because your motors with I pilot and auto pilot will perform much better.

HTB

Starting batteries are designed to hold up in hard discharge/recharge cycles. Deep cycles like gradual discharge/recharge cycles.

The one thing I don't like about the Minnkota is it's limited to 10 amps. Although in my case I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck that would be as my alternator is 25 amps on my 2013 yamaha 115. Split that between 2 banks and I'm at 12.5 amps/bank maximum, so 10 amps isn't that much of a drop from there. And the price is right on it also.

The only advantage as far as I can tell on the stealth is the amperage, but I could very well be wrong on that.

Again, do some research on how these units work.

Oh please, you're the one looking for more information. I don't need or want one, so no I'm not going to do any research. Why don't you explain how these work if you're so knowledgeable....but actually looking for information. ..

I was at a seminar amd they talked about many different things with boat maintaince. They discussed battery recharging for ones trolling motor batteries.

The marine shop person that was helping and helped put this seminar on said it use to be that one wanted to slowly recharge the trolling motor batteries but with the newer agm or gel type batteries, one should charge them at a faster rate than the 4-8 amp recharge that use to be suggested.

With that said, he did say this was for a onboard charger and not another type. he said it is still good for the trolling motor batteries to go down in power and then recharge right away when one gets back home.

Not sure if it would be good for a trolling motor battery to always be charged and never go down and then back up. I would question the life of the battery by charging it all the time while boating.

Using the onboard charger at home, the battery can discharge and then recharge at home. Using the Stealth charger, ones battery never gets a chance to discharge.

Isn't it good for the trolling motor battery to discharge and then recharge for the life of the battery, leat that is what I have been told.

Oh please, you're the one looking for more information. I don't need or want one, so no I'm not going to do any research. Why don't you explain how these work if you're so knowledgeable....but actually looking for information. ..

Im not looking for information on them, just feedback from someone who has used them. Big difference. I know what they CLAIM to do, but want feedback from someone who actually has used them rather than reading internet conjecture from folks who make assumptions.

I have the Minn kota one, I put it on because I camp in places without electricity. On a week long trip I would have to charge my battery multiple times with a small generator. The noise drove me nuts.

When I had it last year I used the generator once.

It works but you do have to have the motor going, it starts sending a charge to the battery once you pass 5 mph or so. At idle or slow trolling it doesn't.

It's fairly easy to install too.

It's been helpful for me. I saw they were on sale at cabela's earlier in the season for about $40. That was a steal.

The one thing I don't like about the Minnkota is it's limited to 10 amps. Although in my case I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck that would be as my alternator is 25 amps on my 2013 yamaha 115. Split that between 2 banks and I'm at 12.5 amps/bank maximum, so 10 amps isn't that much of a drop from there. And the price is right on it also.

The only advantage as far as I can tell on the stealth is the amperage, but I could very well be wrong on that.

From the sounds of it you wouldnt be giving up much at all with the Minn Kota. Price wise the Stay N charge is very similarly priced to the Minn Kota and there are smart features built into that alternate between batteries that the Minn Kota does not. However the Stay N Charge customer service seems more than a bit lacking so I am not sure they would get my money, even though their product seems nice.

It works but you do have to have the motor going, it starts sending a charge to the battery once you pass 5 mph or so. At idle or slow trolling it doesn't.

It's fairly easy to install too.

It's been helpful for me. I saw they were on sale at cabela's earlier in the season for about $40. That was a steal.

Good info! Perhaps this is because your alternator wasnt providing enough juice to get the cranking battery to the necessary 13 volts before switching to trolling batteries???

You are right $40 is an absolute steal! I was in Rogers a couple weeks back and they didnt have any DC chargers.Now I know why. :-)

Quote:
One of the systems will recharge your trolling batteries in 10 minutes for every hr you used your trolling motor on high. 

And again I will repeat....THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES.

SOME deep cycle batteries may be able to handle it as Harvey stated, but that does not help those with standard deep cycle batteries.

It has light indicators that tell you when the battery is being charged vs not or if something went wrong with the wiring. Hooks up to both batteries but charges only one. Per the instructions once the alternator puts out enough power it starts charging. I have it on a 2 stroke 60 horse mercury.

Like I said, it's been very useful to me, I would recommend it.

If you are worried about your battery the Minnkota would be very easy to disconnect so it doesn't charge always and you only use it in certain situations.

I use an AGM battery.

Not sure I agree with this. In fact I have seen arguments to the exact opposite; That deep cycle batteries will last 2-3 times longer if you don't let them discharge deeply but rather keep topped off.

Caman is flat out wrong because he does not know how these systems work. They will not kill the batteries. Most guys get longer life out of their batteries.

Not sure I agree with this. In fact I have seen arguments to the exact opposite; That deep cycle batteries will last 2-3 times longer if you don't let them discharge deeply but rather keep topped off.

I'm not talking about charging a battery before it is discharged. I do it both ways and have never had an issue. I'm talking about throwing high enough amps into a battery to charge it in 10 minutes, THAT is not good for most deep cycles .

Caman is flat out wrong because he does not know how these systems work. They will not kill the batteries. Most guys get longer life out of their batteries.

And AGAIN please explain how these systems work. I asked earlier and you dodged the question.

And AGAIN please explain how these systems work. I asked earlier and you dodged the question.

You didnt care to know or research for yourself (because you didnt "need or want one") so I didnt dodge the question. A simple G oo g le search will tell you all you are asking.

They do NOT slam 50 amps into a battery regardless of what brand/unit you buy. The minn kota will put in 10 amps max per bank while the others will allow as much as the battery requires. If it wants 10 amps, they give 10 amps. If they want 15, they will give 15. If they want 2 they will give 2.

The Stay N Go alternates between the batteries every 2 minutes so they never generate heat.

These are not switching devices that basically send all current from the outboard's alternator to your battery. Each of them have some "brains" to them to only direct what the batteries call for, they just may achieve it differently.

There, is that enough info for your CAMAN?

"Not sure I agree with this. In fact I have seen arguments to the exact opposite; That deep cycle batteries will last 2-3 times longer if you don't let them discharge deeply but rather keep topped off."

Agreed. I could be wrong but I believe that was the old school of thought, that they needed to be deeply discharged each time and then slowly charged back up. The problem with deep discharge is the sulfonation that can occur. I believe with today's technology most everything I'm hearing is that not discharging so deep, and charging more often and quicker in order to keep it nearer the top of its capacity, will actually extend the life of deep cycle batteries. I'm sure someone with a much deeper understanding of this will chime in.