• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

See ya Later Jared Allen

RumRiverRat

wow how things change...I see he went for the money as they signed him for 15 mil guarenteed. Good for him but what were the Bears thinking going from Peppers to Allen?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

• BuckSutherland

• ozzie

If your argument is that trading in one aging DE for another is not the smartest move ever, I can agree. But if it's really a comment about Allen being inferior to Peppers, I adamantly disagree. Allen is three years younger and has had 10 more career sacks in two fewer seasons and plays hard every down he's on the field. They are paying him less than what they would have had to pay Peppers, too. In all measurable phases of the game, Allen's numbers and productivity have always been better than Peppers.

I wish he would have landed anywhere but in the NFC North.

Allen is inferior to Peppers. Yes he had more sacks but Peppers was/is better against the run. In the end though as you pointed out, they are both aging defensive ends. What I think is hilarious is the contract that he got.

Allen: 4yrs $32 million with $15.5 fully guaranteed. Contract can be voided to 3yrs for $24 million

Peppers: 3yrs $30 million with $7.5 guaranteed

The Packers back-ended the Peppers contract but in reality can cut Peppers sooner and for less of a cap hit because there is much less guaranteed money. The Bears just locked up Allen and mistake-prone Cutler for longer term deals that will hurt their team if they don't pan out.

I personally like Jared Allen but I don't think he is better than Julius Peppers!!! They are both good and not getting younger but Peppers has a more all around game than Allen. I would rather get Peppers for the deal he signed then Allen at the deal he signed...that is my point.

I'm just playing devil's advocate perhaps, but what argument (facts, numbers) support the idea the Peppers > Allen? Someone said he's better against the run, yet in two full seasons more than Allen he only has 6 more tackles (448 to 442) and Allen has more tackle assists (113/108). Allen has 4 safeties to Pepper's 0, similar passes defensed/deflected #s, and neither of them miss games, so that is a wash. I'm not saying either are at an elite level anymore, but in their primes Allen's numbers are considerably better than JPs and when it's all said and done, Allen will surpass him in every meaningful DE stat that he doesn't already eclipse him in. If we don't use stats as our metric, what are we measuring? I'm not picking a fight...I can be swayed with reason. What numbers support the Pepper's argument? In recent years, all I see is a swifter decline than Allen has had, yet Peppers is getting paid more with his new contract! GB is going regret that move...for that matter, the Bears likely will, too. Neither is worth the contracts they just got.

Peppers is not guarenteed to make more then Allen...I am basing my opinion on watching Peppers over he years and watching Allen. Stats are very similar but to have watched both play over the years I would take Peppers over Allen. Maybe it is a fasination thing that we had Allen and know who he is...

Who is buck going to complain about now since he is finally gone?

Shouldnt be too hard since we dont really have a QB. Greenway too maybe, or Sullivan and Loadholt in pass defense.

wow how things change...I see he went for the money as they signed him for 15 mil guarenteed. Good for him but what were the Bears thinking going from Peppers to Allen?

Of course he went for the money. That's all its about for him. I bet he is wishing the Cowboys would have held onto Demarcus Ware for another day or two. He could have tried for a one or two year deal with the Hawks and got his numbers up and tried for a title, but instead he goes to the useless Bears for the money and no shot at a title.

His contract just goes to show what the rest of the league thinks of him, and that we should have cut him when all was lost at the beginning of the season, or at least once it all completely cratered last year and saved the money.

His contract shows that people still think he has good value with some ability to produce for the next 2 years since they guarenteed him $15 million...

Maybe it is a fasination thing that we had Allen and know who he is...

That could very well be. I definitely tip my hat to the players in purple just out of loyalty, I suppose. I might be making a similar argument for Peppers if he was a Vike instead. Now, however, both Peppers and Allen are NFC foes and I have to hate both of them... How about that Everson Griffen...beast! smile

Can't wait for AP to run through the huge gaping holes he leaves when he takes his wide rushes at the qb every play. Glad he's gone.

The wide gaping holes were there because our linebackers were worthless pieces of &*(%^.

Allen still has two good years of double digit sacks left in him and he was paid very good for a 32 year old NFL player.

The linebackers definitely didn't help, but JA was looking for sacks every play no matter the situation and we got burned on his side more than once. You can lose outside containment pretty easily when you take this wide angles he did, and when he wasn't making the sack he was completely outta the play.

Can't wait for AP to run through the huge gaping holes he leaves when he takes his wide rushes at the qb every play. Glad he's gone.

D ends are supposed to rush wide and push RB's and QB's inside.

D ends are supposed to rush wide and push RB's and QB's inside.

Right, but when you go too wide you lose that containment and it leaves the outside open for the rb/qb to step up into.

Look's like a nice contract for Jared, 4 years-32 million. Guess someone thought he was worth a few bucks yet and had some years left in him. Now he can chase Cassel around.

It's more like a 2 year/15.5M guaranteed...but you're right HL...it's a darn nice contract for someone of his age.

It's more like a 2 year/15.5M guaranteed...but you're right HL...it's a darn nice contract for someone of his age.

More likely at least a 3 year deal... If he has even one decent year during his first two, he WILL be back for a third... No way the bears release him year 3 if he has around 10 sacks year 2...

Good Luck!

Ken

Jared still has some good football to play. I like the guy but I think we made the right move by signing one of our young up and comers instead of Jared who will be done in a couple seasons.

If it were me I would of taken a little less and went to Seattle but I guess he was chasing the green and maybe wanted a little revenge on the Vikes!!

It's going to be great when Kalil gives Jared a little push to the side and lets him go around as he moves up to the 2nd level to block with AP right behind him for a long gainer.

The Vikes probably did the right thing not signing Allen, but I loved not watching him play. I'll probably get a little smile seeing his calf roping sack dance next year when we play the bears. I predict he'll still get at least 10 sacks next year with 4 of them coming against the Vikes. Who ever we have at QB will think we made a misstate not resigning #69. The defensive line always needs one player that's half nuts and a stand out player. Who is our next John Randle or Jared Allen to give that feeling of excitement when the QB goes down?

Not sure what Jared's contract is.

Associated Press says what you posted, NFL says this.

According to NFL.com, the deal is worth $32 million, although the contract voids to three years for $24 million. The pact includes $15.5 million in fully guaranteed money.

Then I read another article that said the 32 million for 4 years.

Who knows.

The only thing in the NFL that means anything is the guaranteed money. The 15.5M is the REAL $$$ he'll get paid by the Bears...the other part of the 32M contract is likely just "fluff" talk to make it look bigger.

I highly doubt he'll see more than the 15.5M for 2...he'll be @ 35 years old entering in to his 3rd year of this contract.

It is a 4-year $32 million deal with $15.5 guaranteed over the first two seasons. The contract is voidable after three seasons with the total contract coming down from $32M to $24M. However, because of the guaranteed component and his age, it has been reported by agents/scouts/media/etc that he will likely play the first two years, get the guaranteed $15.5M and then either be released or asked to re-work his contract. If he plays well enough to make it through the third season (justifying the Year 3 pay) he could then void the fourth year. It's doubtful that would happen but it's leverage in case the team tries to re-work his deal for the final season.

I just saw this posted on a popular website:

Quote:
Newly-minted Chicago Bears defensive end Jared Allen's four-year, $32 million contract includes $15.5 million guaranteed,

His base salaries of $3 million and $1 million are fully guaranteed.

HIs $11.5 million roster bonus in 2015 will be fully guaranteed by April 9. It's guaranteed for skill and injury at the time of signing and becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the roster on April.9..

He's due a nonguaranteed $8.5 million base salary in 2016 and a nonguaranteed $8 million in 2017.

The 2017 year voids if Allen has 12 or more sacks any year and if he's on the roster on June 1, 2017.