• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

See ya Later Jared Allen

RumRiverRat

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

• BuckSutherland

• ozzie

Yeah I think its moderately humorous that "he let the team know".

I like the guy, he is on the end of his career and his giant contract and refusal to restructure it really hampered the options the last couple years.

I think it is extremely hilarious that the story I read said he let the team know.

He is past his prime and was mediocre at best last season.

Yeah I think its moderately humorous that "he let the team know".

I like the guy, he is on the end of his career and his giant contract and refusal to restructure it really hampered the options the last couple years.

He was never asked to restructure his contract so why would he??

If you think he was overpaid, what about Griffen who has just signed a contract worth more than 1 million guaranteed for every sack he's ever had in the league (17 sacks, 20 mil guaranteed, 45 mil contract).

If you think he was overpaid, what about Griffen who has just signed a contract worth more than 1 million guaranteed for every sack he's ever had in the league (17 sacks, 20 mil guaranteed, 45 mil contract).

Keep in mind the 17 sacks you're using is based on limited playing time as well as being asked to drop back in coverage instead of being asked to rush the passer. Now that Jared Allen is gone, Griffen will be the starter. The $20 million ($4 per year average) is paying him to be the starter at DE. $4 million per year isn't a lot compared to other right-side, 4-3, defensive ends. Griffen's stats should go up just based on more playing time / more opportunities to make plays. The $20 plus million in incentives the Vikings gave him makes it sound like this is a 'prove it' deal. IMO, the Vikings made a smart deal.

The $20 million ($4 per year average) is paying him to be the starter at DE. $4 million per year isn't a lot compared to other right-side, 4-3, defensive ends. Griffen's stats should go up just based on more playing time / more opportunities to make plays. The $20 plus million in incentives the Vikings gave him makes it sound like this is a 'prove it' deal. IMO, the Vikings made a smart deal.

It's not 20 mil plus incentives, if it's like most NFL contracts. I'd guess that it's 20 mil whether he plays 1 year or 5 years (signing bonus plus guaranteed money, spread out over 5 years but payable whether he's on the team or not -- hence the 'guaranteed' description). Then I'd guess the other 22 mil is payed out over the full 5 years if he plays. If he plays all 5 years, regardless of how he plays, he gets the full 42 mil. That's not really the same as "plus incentives".

He was never asked to restructure his contract so why would he??

he wasn't asked because everyone knew what the answer would be so in essence he refused. I'm sure the topic came up with him just not officially.

It's not 20 mil plus incentives, if it's like most NFL contracts.

Then I'd guess the other 22 mil is payed out over the full 5 years if he plays. If he plays all 5 years, regardless of how he plays, he gets the full 42 mil. That's not really the same as "plus incentives".

I don't think that's true. Here's an article stating Winfield received "7.5 million with performance clauses."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-...e-greg-jennings

Here's another article with Peterson's 100 million deal and Daunte Culpepper's 102 million dollar deal which he only received 72 million due to "escalator clauses, performance standards..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-9107927

Performance clauses are very common in the NFL. They're used to get the most out of players. Another example off the top of my head was the weight clause put into Pat Williams contract. Griffen may not get the full $42 million, even if he's here for the full five years...he has to perform at a certain level to get it. We just don't know what they are yet; if they even get disclosed.

Great move for the Vikes, griffen is a beast and will prove it next year with some real playing time on the end.

I don't think that's true. Here's an article stating Winfield received "7.5 million with performance clauses."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-...e-greg-jennings

Here's another article with Peterson's 100 million deal and Daunte Culpepper's 102 million dollar deal which he only received 72 million due to "escalator clauses, performance standards..."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-9107927

Performance clauses are very common in the NFL. They're used to get the most out of players. Another example off the top of my head was the weight clause put into Pat Williams contract. Griffen may not get the full $42 million, even if he's here for the full five years...he has to perform at a certain level to get it. We just don't know what they are yet; if they even get disclosed.

OK, I'll give you that I'm not an expert on all of these contracts and I'm not privy to all the details. On the biggies (like the culpepper deal for instance), they obviously have to play out all the years, and that won't even happen if they don't perform. However, I still think that usually when they state a value such as 42 mil, it's a fairly-easily-attainable 42 mil if they play out all the years without restructuring. It's not one of those things where they have to win MVP 3 seasons in a row or anything.

In most cases, from what I have seen, on these longterm contracts players either get injured before the end of their contract and retire, or they're cut at some point due to lack of performance. Often times to avoid being cut, they restructure to a lower salary that the team is willing to gamble with. This is why I started my rant against him as saying he's being paid over 1 mil per sack (versus 2 mil, which this contract has potential for). I just think 20 guaranteed mil for a guy with 17 sacks is a lot. Of course that's just the way of the D-lineman-salary nowadays. I guess you gotta pay to get prospects, even unproven ones.

Peace out Jared, glad we had him during his prime, he's getting long in the tooth now and wants too much money. He played injured most of last season, if he can get totally healthy I'm sure he can still help out a contender.

Griffen has good stats for the amount of time he was actually on the field, he'll almost get his career sack total in one season next yr.

Peace out Jared, glad we had him during his prime, he's getting long in the tooth now and wants too much money. He played injured most of last season, if he can get totally healthy I'm sure he can still help out a contender.

Griffen has good stats for the amount of time he was actually on the field, he'll almost get his career sack total in one season next yr.

Allen was not hurt. Just more excuses for the lack of performance. Look at Tiger this weekend. Same thing. They start doing poor and they blame someone or something else. Its called staritis. Maybe he will go to Green Bay.

As for E Griffen this year. I think the Zimmer style of D is different than we are used to. He makes his guys play TEAM D, something JA was never capable of. For E Griffen he is going to be asked to stop the run. All Allen EVER did was rush the passer. Thats how you end up with 22 sacks, but your team only goes 3-13.

Why is everybody on Griffen's jock? Is he really that good? I dont think anybody can say he is. We havent seen that much of him. I sure hope a lot of that contract is not guaranteed or that would be paying out the arse. I have a feeling he will disappoint.

However, I still think that usually when they state a value such as 42 mil, it's a fairly-easily-attainable 42 mil if they play out all the years without restructuring. It's not one of those things where they have to win MVP 3 seasons in a row or anything.

People like to whine no matter what. If we didn't sign him and he went to another team and ripped it up everyone would of laughed and said how dumb the Vikes are.

Everyone always says we need to build from the draft, when the rookie contract ends and it's time to be a starter your gonna get paid, that's the NFL. There wasn't alot out there and he's shown flashes, might as well stick with the guy you have been grooming then pay some other schlub from a different team for the same amount of money.

I'm gonna have to put my faith into Zimmer, with how junk our D was and it being his speciality I'm sure he has broke down tons of film seeing who he wants to keep and who he wants to let walk.

Daily Norseman says Allen going to Denver.

I would guarantee Denver wont win the SB next year if that happens.

Allen was the steal of the decade. We or some of us including the Vikings knew it was going to be a great deal the 1st 4 years and it was.

I see him playing for the Packers in the near future if he hasn't signed already.

I liked him as a player.

GAve us more good years than we expected when KC gave up on him. Was a standup guy here after issues in KC. He will be missed.

As for never being asked to restructure his contract because he might have/would have said no... being equal to not being willing to... I gotta say that may be too big a leap Captmusky...

NFL contracts are a joke anyway, there is no longterm, you can be cut 1 day after a big contract. I think players should never restructure, you don't like it they always can be cut and then go somewhere else.

Agreed. Griffen was the unfortunate product of a log jam at DE, and being the youngest of the three with Frazier at the helm meant the veterans got the nod. They knew he was valuable enough to try him out at LB, etc., to try to get him on the field, but in the end he is best suited as a DE and his playing time suffered. I think this was a great signing. Sure it's a lot of money, but that's a product of the ever expanding market. Give him full reps, regular playing time, and a D scheme by someone who knows what that actually means and I can easily see him notching 8-10 or more sacks this year while being superior to Allen against the run.

Is there a way to find a players snap counts for a given year? I would be very interested to know, taking total snaps into consideration, how many sacks and hurries Griffen had on average versus Allen and Robison the past year or two.

He won't get to rush the passer every play like the other guys have in the past on this squad though, so that MIGHT hurt his sack total but then again maybe not. I remember a nice streak he had in his limited time the year before last and he looked like a machine. Hopefully he can get into a groove being out there full time.

Same with Cassel, going in and out in and out it's tough to get in a groove. Will be interesting to see what he can do getting all the 1st team reps in practice and being the guy instead of not knowing whats going on week to week.

Allen was the steal of the decade. We or some of us including the Vikings knew it was going to be a great deal the 1st 4 years and it was.

I see him playing for the Packers in the near future if he hasn't signed already.

+1.

Easily a "Ring of Honor" member and just might be the next Viking elected to the HOF.

Enjoyed watching him play as hard as anybody in the league game in and game out and I wish him nothing but the best going forward.

As for never being asked to restructure his contract because he might have/would have said no... being equal to not being willing to... I gotta say that may be too big a leap Captmusky....

he was flat out asked by one out media jackals and said he would say no if asked. It isn't much of a stretch at all.

He was a great player for us for many years. He may have a few left in him. But definitely not his best years.

Nobody could flop on a pile and then stand up and act like he did something quite like Jared Allen.

+3 in terms of getting value out of a trade, the Vikings came out the winners. Overall his Vikings career was one of the best, IMO, for productivity compared to years played. Injuries and age caught up to him quick though after the 20+ sack season his production suffered. Not worth the $ that he made on the expired contract, but could be a pass rusher, 3rd down only type guy for some team.

Also he was mentioned today by Adam Schefter of ESPN that he spent the day building houses for the wounded warriors project. A class act IMO

Looks like the Seachickens just cleared up 7-8 M in cap space...looks like another (ex)Viking headed West.

I see Ware just signed with Denver for 3 years/30M. Allen must be asking more than that if he couldn't get the deal done yesterday. Does he really think he's going to get @ 15M/YR on the back side of 30?

At least he can finally play for a competitive team. He deserves a chance to win. The queens can not provide that. I bet Adrian is extremely jelous. These guys are great players. They deserve to play with great teams. That list certainly does not contain MN