• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Saying "Goodbye" is never easy

Dave S

full-8710-43021-img_6655_1.jpg

I had to put my GSP down on Tuesday. She would've been 13 on Memorial Day weekend.

On Saturday, I noticed a new lump under her front right leg. After a closer examination, I realized it was the size of a wallet and a cell phone end to end. This mass wasn't there 3 weeks ago. By the time Tuesday came, it had more than doubled in size with many other smaller lumps developing throughout her body.

She had been having trouble going down stairs and had taken a few bad spills. We just attributed it to her age, loss of eye sight and her hearing.

The hardest part was pulling out of the driveway with her looking out the back window of the car along with her last breath as she laid her head in my hands.

RIP Sammi.

I feel your pain. Hang in there, time will make you feel better about it. Morn her now as much as you can. She was no doubt a special dog.

Well Dave, I had to go through the very same thing for the same reason and let me tell you it was more painful then I would believe. The bond that a man can develop with a dog is surprising and strong. The hurt and loss you feel today will leave but the memory of your friend will stay with you. I can tell you anything you'd like to know about my old pal Bart....my hunting Lab from fifty years ago. I've had a bundle of dogs and remember them all with fondness and they still bring a happy smile to my face.

They never really go away.

Hang tough. Remember her fondly with a smile on your face. Know that you did right by her, we owe it our dogs to make the right decision at the right time of their lives, for all they do for us. She will be waiting for you, tail wagging as happy as ever to see you. She is no longer in pain and is happy!

We're there with you Dave... Hold on to the memories and she will always be at your side.

Godspeed Sammi!

Ken

along with her last breath as she laid her head in my hands.

RIP Sammi.

Been there.

My condolences. Non dog owners would never understand.

It has been just over a year since I went through the pain you are now feeling. Time does heal, but not a day goes by that I don't think of "Wilson". A new partner has taken his place in our family but will never replace him. I am so happy to hear you had almost 13 mostly wonderful years with Sammi, I say mostly because you do remember the first year or two? smile

I will give my dog a few extra pats on the head tonight and a special treat in Sammi's memory and say a prayer for you and your family as you work your way through the loss of a member of your family. Rest well Sammi.

We have traveled the road a few times and it never gets any easier. Our last one a few months ago was the toughest.

Remember the good times! Hang in there!

WS

Being a dog owner, as I read this my nose has started running and eyes are tearing up. My dog is my best friend. She is my fishing buddy and the only one I want to go hunting with. She is now 5 and I'm already heart broken knowing I will most likely out live her. I'm so sorry for your loss

Sorry for your lose....As dog owners, we all now that this time will come, but is never easy when it does. I have had to put 3 down in my life time and know your pain. We just added a new family member last October. She will not replace the companions we had before her, but we are very happy to have the memory's off past and the knew ones that we will receive.

I hate reading these things but I always do. Having lost dogs it seems to help when someone shares the grief and then it reminds you of the good times you had with your own best friend. Always makes me look at pictures on the walls of my old buddies and brings a smile to my face remembering them, Good picture of Sammi, made me smile, bet there is a story that goes along with it.

Just went thru this today with one of our dogs.

Never had to make this decision before.

It was much harder than anticipated but knew what was right.

You are very correct- "never easy".

Friendship is the best medicine during hard times like this. To everyone who's replied, THANKS. It really means a lot. My wife was just brought to tears reading your replies.

Good picture of Sammi, made me smile, bet there is a story that goes along with it.

Thanks Bobby. The picture was taken by chance while experimenting with a new lens and consider it an excellent depiction of her character.

She would sit at the patio door watching deer, fox, turkeys, robins and sparrows. The deer she learned to stay on the patio and watch. When the turkeys and fox were in the yard she would be kept inside. Whenever she would chase the robins and sparrows from the yard, this was her look and she followed them.

The picture can also hold a sense of spirituality, as she looks up to her sister and mother. Sadly her mother succumbed to a seizure at about the same age and her sister had found some rat poison somewhere and died at about the age of 4. Sammi would always go across the street where her mother and sister still lived and visit and would come home when she was ready. It really put her in a state of depression when she realized her two closest friends were now gone.

With all of this said, I like to think of this picture with the caption "Wherever you go, I will follow".

Our new dog is nothing short of an incredible friend. Our whole family is completely in love with him, and the thought of ever letting him go is almost too much to even consider.

But I know the day will come. They are so loyal, and so forgiving. We should all really learn some lessons from our dogs. It's hard to find fault with an animal that is typically so pure, and full of life.

Hang in there my friend. Grieving for your lost friend is completely normal. They are indeed a part of our family. We're all behind you.

Dave, sorry to hear of your loss. You have lots of fond memories with your furry family member. I lost my "brown bomber" late last summer and it has been hard for the whole family.

My boys say "Hi" to him every day because he is his permanent hunting place in our back yard.

They may be gone, but never forgotten.