• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Small Mud motor

Was wondering if anyone owns a PPF mud motor, stump jumper, or any low horse power mud motor. Have been looking into getting one this year, I run a 1244 boat with a 60 inch beam, hunt 90% of the time with myself and my smaller black lab and a few dozen decoys. I am not looking for speed just a motor where I don't go through three impellers a year from sucking up muck. Any input would be great.

Kettle

Sounds like a scavenger backer motor would fit the bill. And there easy on the wallet. There not the greatest but mine has served me well. I have a 18hp on a 1436 and its plenty of power prolly to much by most peoples standards.

I have seen the pic of your setup Dan Z, looks nice. What do you think the weight is? What kind of engine is it? Briggs and Stratten? Light weight for me is the key, early season I hunt the family pond in Madison Lake down by you, about 14 acres, muck and lilly pads, then hunt up in northern MN in the rice rivers and also do a trip to Manitoba in Oct where I launch the boat off the road a lot so I have to be able to pick it up and put it back on the boat if there is not an access. What are your thoughts? Doable with the scavenger? I'm not too worried about the abuse they can take I baby alot of my stuff.

Kettle

Check out his website... they make a really small 5.5hp that's 55lbs I think. Mine is a Briggs/vanguard and 185lbs but its a big twin...

Maxxxedout, what engine are you running? If you have the Honda you running the mod kit? What do you have it on? Any issues?

Kettle

Maxxxedout, what engine are you running? If you have the Honda you running the mod kit? What do you have it on? Any issues?

Kettle

My brother runs one with a honda and no mod kit. He used it twice and the motor was f'd. The frame wasn't welded square so a bunch of stuff went wrong with it. He had to pay to ship it back and the guy fixed it but by the time he got it back the season was pretty much over so let's say he wasn't real pleased to have basically missed out on using it the whole season. He said the guy wasn't real pleasant on the phone after the fact either. I'm buying a small mud motor and will be looking elsewhere.