• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 MN Vikings

Scott K

Sign Michael Johnson definitely. Love Jared Allen but his best years are behind him time for some younger blood.

Johnson had less than 4 sacks last year....that's pretty alarming to me.

He's gonna want big $$$$ too.

I think Allen would be great under a guy like Zimmer...get his contract "Viking friendly" with lots of incentives, surround him with a better scheme AND players, and watch him go.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

Everson Griffin needs to be resigned and given the starting spot on the edge. Every time he gets a chance out there he is making plays, and putting pressure on the qb. Been saying for 2 years he needs more snaps playing DE. I think he'd be an upgrade over JA.

It will be an interesting signing season for the Vikes with the number of Free Agents they will have .

Key Free Agents: QB Josh Freeman, RB Toby Gerhart, WR Jerome Simpson, WR/QB Joe Webb, OL J’Marcus Webb, OL Charlie Johnson, OL Joe Berger, OL Seth Olsen, DE Jared Allen, DE Everson Griffen, DT Fred Evans, DT Kevin Williams, LB Marvin Mitchell, LB Desmond Bishop, CB Chris Cook.

Johnson had less than 4 sacks last year....that's pretty alarming to me. He's gonna want big $$$$ too.

I still think we gotta nab this guy. I think the sack number was fluke (he still put a lot of pressure on QBs), and he is much more well-rounded than Allen. He's a dominant run stopper and an upgrade at this point when you factor in Allen's age. Plus a cross-over piece from Zimmer's defense would be helpful in getting the other guys up to speed. I'd welcome the move.

I think Allen would be great under a guy like Zimmer...get his contract "Viking friendly" with lots of incentives, surround him with a better scheme AND players, and watch him go.

Jared should play for league minimum since we honored his whole contract. smile

Matt Cassel opted out of his contract with the Vikings and Josh Freeman hits free agency next month after his run on the Minnesota bench, which leaves Christian Ponder as the only quarterback with a contract to play for the Vikings next season.

General Manager Rick Spielman said Friday that he’s anxious to see how Ponder looks working with offensive coordinator Norv Turner and quarterbacks coach Scott Turner this offseason. As a result, he says Ponder won’t be leaving the team before the start of next season.

“Christian will be here; I don’t anticipate anything — him not being here,” Spielman said, via Master Tesfatsion of the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

There’s not much reason for the Vikings to approach things any other way. They’ve already signaled that they’re planning to select a quarterback at some point in the draft and Ponder’s $1.7 million salary makes him a reasonably priced backup for that player or someone else they acquire during the offseason.

You don't get nicknames like Blunder and Junkson for nothin.

Blunder isn't goin anywhere except to 2nd or 3rd string lol

Of the practice squad?????

I did read one article where Norv said he would like to keep Ponder as he felt with a good offensive squad, he could be better. I am sure we will get another QB in the draft or in a trade.

I would cut Allen's pay and keep him.

I would say Ponder hasnt really had a fair chance, having the incompetent coaching, but he hasnt showed me that he can be anything special. I wouldnt mind Ponder as a second string, he knows the players, but if we go in the season as him being the number one option, then they may as well balck out all the games, because I doubt they will sell out to many games.

Selling out games won't be an issue. The bank only holds 52000 with the new plans and they have that much in season ticket holders.

Allen wouldn't be worth having around unless he took half of what he is getting now and I don't see that happening. They have one of the most cap space in the league so I expect some big moves.

It is rather Alarming that Spielman considers Ponder roster worthy, sure his salary is dead money meaning we pay it even if he isn't on the team...........but then if he's on the team you run the risk of actually using him. I think avoiding that risk is worth the $3.2 Mil loss.

I thin k Ponder would be a ok backup. He has been around enough, and has taken enough snaps with the players to be an ok option to back up a half game, or so. I cant say he knows the system, becasue we arent sure what our system will be yet.

Ponder had a sore arm in camp last year and it was kept pretty hush-hush. Now if your arm is sore and the job was his to lose then you throw short high percentage passes and hand it off to

AP as much as possible. It would have worked just fine if the Vikes would have had a top ranked defense to go along with the conservative offense. Once the lead was lost, Ponder was not going to out-gun other offenses. Don't be surprised to see the Vikes draft a QB and let him be backup to Ponder for a few games and then draft mostly defense. At least Ponder has a great attitude and will do whatever it takes to help this team. No future in either Cassel or Freeman.

Ponder had a sore arm in camp last year and it was kept pretty hush-hush. Now if your arm is sore and the job was his to lose then you throw short high percentage passes and hand it off to

AP as much as possible. It would have worked just fine if the Vikes would have had a top ranked defense to go along with the conservative offense. Once the lead was lost, Ponder was not going to out-gun other offenses. Don't be surprised to see the Vikes draft a QB and let him be backup to Ponder for a few games and then draft mostly defense. At least Ponder has a great attitude and will do whatever it takes to help this team. No future in either Cassel or Freeman.

While all that MAY be true... that was by far the tallest, coolest glass of purple Kool-Aid I have ever seen!

Good Luck!

Ken

I agree Ponder has a good attitude and is a good guy, unfortunately it is obvious he doesn't have the ability to compete in the NFL. Like others have said when Cassel, who is a backup, can come in and look great because of what you are used seeing that is not a good sign.

Vikings will draft this guy. Manziel, Bridgewater, and Bortles will be gone when we pick. Spielman is not dumb enough to blow the whole draft to move up for one of those three when we have several holes to fill. I would guess we draft QB in round 2. Looks like we will be drafting defense in the first round. Personally if we go D I would like to see another DT. Robison, Floyd, Hageman, Griffen. Better play up front is going to help the guys in the back. I still think someone like Josh Robinson has potential if he gets some coaching.

Small school quarterback with smallish hands. Pass. Last time we had that combination was a guy who liked to get his "roll on" and then couldn't admit to doing anything wrong on the Love Boat.

Then again, he represents our only QB draft success in recent memory.

I doubt we would waste a 2nd round pick on him. Possibly a 4th. I would take Carr in the second.

This would be my draftboard for the first round, it may include moving up, or down, but this would be my first round picks, in this order

Manziel

Bridgewater

Clowney

Watkins

Mack

Dennard

Bortles

There is 7 guys I would use with my 1st round pick, if none are available, trade back. Anyone of them will be a big play maker, and I would love on our team. Anyone of them makes our team better right now. With the exceptions of the QB's, I think they need to sit and watch a year, or at least until our starter falls on his face, and he gets some game time. But our future will be better next year.

Minus the Qb's I picked, could you imagine our offense with Watkins on it, along with Patterson, and Jennings? What FA QB wouldnt want those 3 WR, and Peterson in the backfield? Hell, I could even succeed with them on my team.

Clowney, would be a nice pickup, with losing Allen this year, and he would improve our entire passing game right away.

Dennard would shore up our starting CB spot, and it would seal our starters for a passing game.

Mack would be a great run stopper, something our team really needs. Pair him with Greenway in the back field, or even move Mack upfront for running downs.

Any of them would step right in as a starter, and improve our team from last year. Again, with the exception of the 3 QB's listed. As I would like them not to be day 1 starters.

Carr was at the same All Star games that Garoppolo was in and he (Carr) blew him out of the water. I remember reading reports that Carr was BY FAR the best QB at either of the All-Star games.

Why waste a 2nd rounder on questionable QB who didn't even play in a 'big boy conference"??

Mettenberger with one of our 3rds if we pass on Carr in the 1st...that's my prediction.

I'd take Carr in a heartbeat IF his last name wasnt Carr. I hope we go D and pick QB in 2nd round. There still will be a better option than what we got now later in the draft.

Quote:

The Vikings will meet with the player rep for free agent QB Matt Cassel Thursday.

Cassel left $3.7 million on the table when he opted out of his deal with the Vikings, so we know he's expecting to earn more than that. The Vikes are a legit candidate to pay him, as GM Rick Spielman stated Thursday that he's interested. Adrian Peterson has also thrown his support behind Cassel, saying he hopes Spielman passes on a rookie and just rides with Cassel. He's our No. 3 free agent quarterback available, behind only Michael Vick and Josh McCown.

Michael Vick???? crazy I would rather roll with Ponder.

I would be fine with Cassel or McCown starting the first 8-12 games and then rolling with our new rookie after we are out of the playoff picture.

Quote:

Vikings GM Rick Spielman says he won't "force" a quarterback at No. 8 overall, and would "love" to trade down.

It's the tune every general manager worth his salt sings this time of year, but Spielman is in prime position to move down, especially if the draft's top three quarterbacks in Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel and Blake Bortles are all gone by No. 8. This year's class is regarded as one of the deepest in years, so in theory, the Vikes are just as likely to land an impact player in the teens as they are at No. 8.

Carr was at the same All Star games that Garoppolo was in and he (Carr) blew him out of the water. I remember reading reports that Carr was BY FAR the best QB at either of the All-Star games.

Why waste a 2nd rounder on questionable QB who didn't even play in a 'big boy conference"??

Mettenberger with one of our 3rds if we pass on Carr in the 1st...that's my prediction.

I could also see us trading down in the first...picking up a draft pick or two and then trading back into the late 1st to take Carr. That's Spielmans M.O.

Carr will never make it to our 8th pick in the second round...if we pass on him at #8 overall...which we should, look for Spielman to get back in the 1st and take him like he's done in the past few years.

I don't think there's any way we take a QB at #8 this year...