• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 MN Vikings

Scott K

I hope he stays.

Quote:

Matt Cassel has until Friday to void his contract and become an unrestricted free agent.

We'd be surprised if Cassel pulled the trigger here. His total compensation for 2014 is $3.7 million ($3.15 million base, $500K roster bonus, $50K workout bonus) and he has a chance to be the Vikings' starter in Week 1. Cassel would be unlikely to find a better spot or more money on the open market. Meanwhile, the Vikings have until the seventh day of the new league year (March 18) to decide whether to pay Cassel that $500K roster bonus or dump him.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

• zepman

• FISHINGURU

I also hope he stays. He was the only QB on the roster that look like he at least knew what he was doing. Results were still mixed at best but at least he didn't look totally lost and he's seen enough that he could possibly help teach a rookie a few things. I'd hate to see Ponder as the guy doing the teaching.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out....

I'd like to be in the meeting room with Zimmer and Norv as they discuss their 3 QB's and W T F they're going to do going forward.

Minnesota Vikings Announce Full Coaching Staff

Quote:
The Minnesota Vikings have finalized their assistants under new coach Mike Zimmer, including special teams coordinator Mike Priefer, the target of a discrimination complaint by one of his former players.

The Vikings announced Thursday that Priefer will be one of seven holdovers from the previous staff, along with offensive line coach Jeff Davidson, wide receivers coach George Stewart and others.

Norv Turner will mark his 30th year of coaching in the NFL as the offensive coordinator, as widely reported for weeks, and George Edwards will be the defensive coordinator.

Former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe has alleged that Priefer made anti-gay comments around the team and claimed he was released last year because of his outspoken support of gay marriage. The Vikings launched an independent investigation.

HEAD COACH

Mike Zimmer Head Coach

COORDINATORS

George Edwards Defensive Coordinator

Mike Priefer Special Teams Coordinator

Norv Turner Offensive Coordinator

ASSISTANTS

Robb Akey Assistant Defensive Line

Jeff Davidson Offensive Line

Ryan Ficken Assistant Special Teams

Johnathan Gannon Assistant Defensive Backs / Quality Control

Jerry Gray Defensive Backs

Jeff Howard Defensive Assistant

Klint Kubiak Assistant Wide Receivers / Quality Control

Andre Patterson Defensive Line

Drew Petzing Coaching Assistant

Kevin Stefanski Tight Ends

George Stewart Wide Receivers

Scott Turner Quarterbacks

Kirby Wilson Running Backs

Adam Zimmer Linebackers

Quote:

New Vikings OC Norv Turner admitted Thursday that the team is looking to add a young quarterback.

The Vikings already have a young quarterback on the roster in Christian Ponder, so Norval is tacitly admitting the 2011 first-rounder is not the answer. "I think everyone is in agreement that we’re trying to add a young quarterback to the organization," Turner said matter of factly. Ponder is currently the only signal caller the Vikings have under contract for 2014, but the Vikes are going to search high and low for an alternative. If they use the No. 8 overall pick on a quarterback, the rookie would get every chance to be the Week 1 starter.

Quote:

Speaking about his plans for the Vikings' 2014 offense, new OC Norv Turner said "balance is the most critical thing."

"It's all about balance," Turner said. "We need to be good at all things." Turner was once among the league's best in running a balanced offense, but got pass happy near the end of his run in San Diego. His 2013 Browns offense was inexplicably the most pass heavy in the league, but that was largely a result of the Browns' total lack of talent at running back. That won't be an issue in Minnesota, but quarterback will. Regardless of who's under center, expect Norval to pound away with Adrian Peterson.

I would be ok with that.

I would trade up for Manziel, or Bridgewater, without giving away the farm, or take Bortles at 8. If they are all gone, then it would be a wash between Watkins, Clowney, Mack, or Dennard with the 8th pick. There will be a lot of O and D linemen that can be had through FA, and we will have plenty of money to spend.

I think we need to pick one of those guys, just for the fact, any of them will give us some big play ability, in which the Vikings really need. Rather then trading down for more picks, and getting mediocre or future starters. The Vikes have some really good players, and some really bad players, if we can plug a starter in with the first 3 rounds, then hit FA for the remainder of the holes, we could be back to contending for a play off spot, or a division title.

Quote:

Vikings LG Charlie Johnson's contract has voided, making him a free agent.

Johnson, 30 in May, restructured his deal last offseason, which gave the Vikings cap relief and allowed Johnson to hit the open market this spring. He's started 47-of-48 games the past three seasons but is a bit undersized at 6-foot-4, 305. Johnson's ability to play both tackle and guard should help out his market. He's best suited for a "swing" role or part of a "jumbo" package.

There is better out there for the money he was getting.

Quote:

The Vikings aren't expected to re-sign free agent QB/WR Joe Webb.

Minnesota has put a lot of time and effort into Webb only to see it turn into six career catches for 42 yards and a 1-1 record, including a playoff loss, as a starting quarterback. The 2010 sixth-rounder is an athletic freak but needs plenty more seasoning. Webb's market likely won't be very hot this spring.

This basically just opens a roster spot for someone that is productive.

I'm all for taking Bortles at #8.. like mentioned earlier, we can beef up our lines in the draft with later picks. That being said, i wouldn't be surprised to see our GM trade up from #40 to get back in the 1st rd and grab a good cornerback either smile

Huh, didnt see that coming wink

Quote:

Vikings released LB Erin Henderson.

Henderson didn't have a bad 2013 season on the field, seeing action at both middle and strong-side linebacker, but has been arrested for DUI twice since November, and cutting him saves Minnesota $2.1 million in salary cap space. Look for Henderson to draw interest in free agency, perhaps from Tampa Bay. He's a scheme fit for Lovie Smith's defense and has plenty of history with new Bucs DC Leslie Frazier. Henderson turns 28 years old this July.

ALL good moves for the Vikes...Henderson being the best move by far.

Now, they should go sign Incognito and plant him right next to Kalil to bring some attitude to the left side of the line.

ALL good moves for the Vikes...Henderson being the best move by far.

Now, they should go sign Incognito and plant him right next to Kalil to bring some attitude to the left side of the line.

Just think of all the biggoting him(Incognito) and Priefer could do together.

Quote:
Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman was pulled out of a press conference during the first round of last year’s draft to consummate the trade that brought wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson to Minnesota and it sounds like he’s ready to drop everything at a moment’s notice again this year.

Spielman said Saturday that “everything is a possibility” for the Vikings in the draft and you’d expect such vagueness from a team before the draft. The closest that Spielman came to setting anything in stone were his comments about whether or not the Vikings will be standing pat with the eight picks they currently have in their possession.

“We have eight right now, and a lot of that doesn’t happen until you’re on the clock,” Spielman said, via the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “Heck, last year they pulled me out of a press conference to go get Patterson because you never know. But I really, really think we’re going to do a lot of movement in the draft.”

Spielman said having 10 picks would be ideal, but that the movement could involve going up to get a player that the team prizes above others. Like a quarterback, perhaps?

Spielman was mum on the team’s draft plans at the position, but did say he’s been in contact with Matt Cassel’s agent since Cassel decided to opt out of the final year of the two-year contract he signed with the Vikings. There remains a possibility of a Cassel return and Spielman said he expects to have further communication as the team sorts out their offseason plans.

I would like to See Gerhart, and Simpson return

Viking's UFA's

Josh Freeman, QB

Toby Gerhart, RB

Jerome Simpson, WR

Joe Webb, WR

J'Marcus Webb, OL

Charlie Johnson, OL

Seth Olsen, OL

Joe Berger, OL

Jared Allen, DE

Everson Griffen, DE

Fred Evans, DT

Kevin Williams, DT

Marvin Mitchell, LB

Desmond Bishop, LB

Chris Cook, CB

Viking's UFA's

Josh Freeman, QB--------GONE

Toby Gerhart, RB--------GONE

Jerome Simpson, WR------GONE

Joe Webb, WR------------GONE

J'Marcus Webb, OL-------STAY

Charlie Johnson, OL-----GONE

Seth Olsen, OL----------WHO CARES

Joe Berger, OL----------STAY

Jared Allen, DE---------WHO CARES

Everson Griffen, DE-----BIG MONEY

Fred Evans, DT----------STAY

Kevin Williams, DT------GONE

Marvin Mitchell, LB-----GONE

Desmond Bishop, LB------GONE

Chris Cook, CB ---------WHO CARES

Trade AP while he has value.

Been saying it for two years. They wont. They need someone to fill the seats of the peoples stadium.

My bet is the Vikes will keep Ponder and see what they can get in the draft. I do believe Turner will give Ponder another chance to prove himself. At least that is what I read in one article.

My bet is the Vikes will keep Ponder and see what they can get in the draft. I do believe Turner will give Ponder another chance to prove himself. At least that is what I read in one article.

I think they keep Ponder too, they are going to draft a QB, and they are going to bring in another FA QB. Could be Cassel, Schaub, McCown, not sure yet. I just hope its not Vick and Tajh Boyd.

Dont think Ponder gets another shot unless all the other guys are injured.

I wonder if they've called Favre yet? I heard he's in the best shape of his life. ;-)

full-17556-42469-favre.png

Honestly, I was hoping he would have came up for a QB coach. Just to get his feet wet into coaching.

Viking's UFA's

Josh Freeman, QB

Toby Gerhart, RB

Jerome Simpson, WR

Joe Webb, WR

J'Marcus Webb, OL

Charlie Johnson, OL

Seth Olsen, OL

Joe Berger, OL

Jared Allen, DE

Everson Griffen, DE

Fred Evans, DT

Kevin Williams, DT

Marvin Mitchell, LB

Desmond Bishop, LB

Chris Cook, CB

The only one that I really see a need to resign would be Everson Griffen. He can take the place of Allen at RDE. He has as much speed and power as Allen. I know Gerhardt is the "3rd down back", but let Adrian catch the 3rd down passes. He can do it. Simpson played pretty good this year, so if they do resign him, I don't think it would ruffle a lot of featers.

The only one that I really see a need to resign would be Everson Griffen. He can take the place of Allen at RDE. He has as much speed and power as Allen. I know Gerhardt is the "3rd down back", but let Adrian catch the 3rd down passes. He can do it. Simpson played pretty good this year, so if they do resign him, I don't think it would ruffle a lot of featers.

Griffen is a much better all around DE than Allen, and is giong to be expensive. Gerhardt and Peterson are essentially the same thing. Simpson will probably be gone because I think he has a heavy suspension coming.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Sign Michael Johnson definitely. Love Jared Allen but his best years are behind him time for some younger blood.

hogwash. Mathis is a year older than Allen and he just dominated the AFC. I would try to keep Allen. He still has some game left.