• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN Spring turkey

Living_The_Dream

Quote:

Successful applicants in the drawing will be mailed a 2014 Spring Wild Turkey postcard as their winning notification by February 14, 2014.

Wonder how many applied for early season after the weather we had last spring!?

I did. smile

I saw a groundhog yesterday and there was no shadow, repeat... NO shadow. Birds are going to be fired up ready to roll A season ladies and gents!

I went for A this season should have a couple points if not going season D.

The wait is killing me , the season cannot come fast enough. I fishing is not working to kill time.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I thought the birds were going to be going crazy during A season last year, but only thing crazy was me wading through waist deep snow drifts. This year it's all about the nephews. I have 2 of them that want to try and get a turkey. We will wait to see what season looks good as it gets closer for them.

I thought the birds were going to be going crazy during A season last year, but only thing crazy was me wading through waist deep snow drifts. This year it's all about the nephews. I have 2 of them that want to try and get a turkey. We will wait to see what season looks good as it gets closer for them.

Just a heads up. Youth license is now good FOR ENTIRE SEASON!

I'm in for early season, but I'm secretly hoping I don't draw. As frustrating as last year was I sure enjoyed the amount of time the archery season allowed me to hunt.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Thank you Don. They will be excited about that.

I'm in for early season, but I'm secretly hoping I don't draw. As frustrating as last year was I sure enjoyed the amount of time the archery season allowed me to hunt.

This is the first year I didn't apply for an early season. Archery for me this year.

The wait is killing me , the season cannot come fast enough. I fishing is not working to kill time.

Nebraska's Fall hunt is still running. Only until the end of the month though. You could have been harvesting instead of waiting.

CW

If you google the 2013 landowner results for spring they have the 2014 results posted. My dad hunted season C last year and applied for season A this year and he got a tag. Now I am just waiting for the regular drawing results to come out. Shouldn't be long now.

For some reason I can only pull up the current results up on my iPhone and not my computer.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

I thought they closed that backdoor last year...

My Dad was drawn for the B season here in the metro. He's 90 and I'll do my best to get him on another bird. He's two for two the last two seasons. smile

That's awesome Don - can't hear to read how his hunt unfolds!

I put in and got drawn for the C season in hopes that I won't be wading through snow drifts.

I have a question for you experienced turkey hunters. All fall, when bowhunting, I have turkeys all around me. Come spring they disappear. I have drawn a spring tag twice in the past and have never even seen a bird. What kind of habitat to they tend to move to from their fall habitat?

I have a question for you experienced turkey hunters. All fall, when bowhunting, I have turkeys all around me. Come spring they disappear. I have drawn a spring tag twice in the past and have never even seen a bird. What kind of habitat to they tend to move to from their fall habitat?

That's a tough one. Often birds remain in the same general area, but can disperse far and wide during the spring season. Spring birds, like fall birds are where you find them. I think genearally, in early spring they seem to gravitate towards early green up areas and picked corn fields, then plowed fields right after they are turned or alfalfa fields later on. But old acorns or pine plantations can hold their interest most anytime.

Again, they are where you find them. Luckily they are often pretty easy to locate just by getting out early morning and listening for gobbles. On a calm morning, you should be able to hear them from a long ways off.

I am excited to hear youth tags are good all season. That will make my life much easier taking two kids. I have split their seasons in the past and it has not worked well for my youngest. This is going to be so much better.

Yo Rooster 7 right now the habitat they prefer is directly under our bird feeders lol. JK, they're roosting in a pine grove inside a oak/birch/poplar woods, they get down at 7:10AM currently and fly over 1/4 mile landing in the soft snow in the front yard then it's a track meet and fight for every seed they can peck lol. Good sign, yesterday was the 1st official Tom/ long beard in the yard, and 1 jake is fluffing himself up now daily when he's with the gang, the # varies, but 42 birds are in this batch now. I'm figuring the combined cornfield edges is my set up plan for season C at present time.

Two jakes live on the road and driveways of our neighborhood in the NE metro. They were in our driveway yesterday. Living off bird feeders down the street (we don't have a feeder).

Nearest turkey woods is about 1 mile away. Even those woods are smaller and in the middle of a suburb. The snow over there must be so deep that the birds are spreading out looking for other means to survival.

Cars are their greatest danger now.

That is the deal Brittman, about January 1st they quit trying to feed in the combined corn across the road, just too much work for what little they were finding so seeing maybe 9" of snow today, wet stuff that will freeze down like a crust and a half, think I better keep the bird feeders full for awhile, cold thru beginning of march isn't exactly likely what any of us were hoping for birds or people.

I took a walk yesterday through the woods I hunt. In a normal year, there are tracks everywhere and I usually run into a big group or two of birds. Yesterday there wasn't a track to be found. Hopefully the birds are sitting at a bird feeder, because they sure aren't in the place I want them to be.