• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Draining...

I just don't get your thinking. Its a great fishing lake now, mediocre to bad hunting, so you want to ruin it in hopes that there is a slight chance you can get a few ducks.

How are you coming to the conclusion that the hunting is terrible on this lake? I don't understand why this keeps getting said. There are a ton of birds that work that lake on a daily basis, I will agree that if your a weekend warrior you need to work a bit harder to get shootable birds. I hunt this lake mostly late season but that's when the birds come threw. If your basing the terrible hunting you have on that you only hunt fair weather and are one of the clowns out there in a 16' bright red Lund with no camo and don't show up till right at sunrise then I get your judgement of the lake.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• 20lbSloughShark

• GIANT1

• eyeguy 54

Crappie? Where? I feel I've covered every foot of that lake, and I've never found a school of crappie. The only time I've had luck is in the spring, and they are in the bays. I don't know how you could even have luck with northerns on the lake unless you are ok spearing a 20" ever few hours. Not very many big ones, and they don't move around much. The only thing cedar has going for it is some cigar walleye, and the very rare 8 pounder.

If the hunting is so good, why do you want to drain the lake?

Crappie? Where? I feel I've covered every foot of that lake, and I've never found a school of crappie. The only time I've had luck is in the spring, and they are in the bays. I don't know how you could even have luck with northerns on the lake unless you are ok spearing a 20" ever few hours. Not very many big ones, and they don't move around much. The only thing cedar has going for it is some cigar walleye, and the very rare 8 pounder.

laugh ok you win best of luck to ya on pelican !!! crazy

P.S. just cuz you cant find them doesn't mean they aren't there grin more for me have fun on pelican ..

If the hunting is so good, why do you want to drain the lake?

Sounds like Cedar is that lake that needs drainin'.

West Albertville, South Monticello and West St. Micheal residential sub-divisions are already within 2 miles and in some cases much less. If you would like to argue about sematics of whether to consider Albertville/St. Micheal extreme suburbs or outer ring cities I guess that is your call.

Regardless of what you would like to call them or which 10 agencies/municpalities own the shoreline the fact remains that it will quickly be within city limits and hunting will not be allowed. I am glad you have some detail but you are missing the big picture.

If you want to claim that it is a good long term habitat in terms of resting spot or brooding pond with the understanding that longterm hunting is off the table then at least your assumptions are sound. Well sort of...resting pond yes, but probably too big of a pond for brooding and definitly too big for a pairing pond.

I see that you said part of the lake shore is a city park. I don't know of too many city parks that you can hunt in do you?

Nice to see that this topic/thread keeps degenerating into more crying, whining, and nonsense. I posted that part of the shoreline is zoned for city park use by the city of St. Michael. Maybe you need to learn how to find, and read, a city land use/zoning map. Funny how someone that lives in one of the largest suburbs in population, in the north metro, calls the areas around Pelican Lake the 'extreme' suburbs. Nothing to argue about there, you posted it, not me. Albertville has no land on the shoreline in it's city limits, by the way. City of St. Michael, Buffalo Township, and Monticello Township have shoreline in their respective boundaries. Again, most of the shoreline of this lake is under USFWS, and MN DNR jurisdiction. The townships do not currently have no hunting ordinances in effect, and probably never will without major residential development in the future, which isn't going to happen. The shoreline bordering St, Michael is maybe 5-10% of the shoreline of this 4000+ acre lake. I don't need to argue about the 'hunting habitat', as it currently is around this lake. This has been covered ad nauseum here, and in other threads, already. Let the dead horse beating continue. (YAWN!)

funny that you say Cedar doesn't have crappies cause I have been hearing about nice crappies out of that lake for the past 4+ years

I would support draining cedar for ducks except its 100' deep
If you spent as much time looking for fish on Cedar or Clearwater as you do whineing about the draining of Pelican on this forum you could possibly have a nice bucket of fish by now.Learn how to find fish and you wont have to go fish a duck slough anymore.

I live on cedar, I have spent more time on that lake than all others combined. In the past 10 years, cedar has continued to disappoint me. I can go to any other lake and catch fish. Not sure where you heard its good for crappies, but they're lying. I can't believe you guys actually want to destroy the environment.

Id say numbers, pelican, size cedar, but barely. I forgot one thing. Cedar is one of the best perch lakes around. In 10 years, never got a walleye over 20", never got a pike over 26", never got more than a a few crappies, but you can have all the 12"+ perch you want in march.

Im done talking about the draining issue but I will back you up sloughshark, I have also lived and fished in the same area for 30+ years and yea Cedar is a joke. just about every other lake around it is better for fishing. Id like to see some pics of all these great crappies coming out of there, yea right. why would anyone even go for them there with all the better options within a few miles... and yes pelican IS the best pike lake with clearwater a distant second.

Nobody is going to change their minds, so I am stopping now before I drive myself mad.

Off topic, because the topic isn't worth debating. I must say the average size pike I see caught out of this lake is second to none in the area that I have seen. There are some pigs in there.

Its a longer drive to pelican for me, about 20 miles, and completely worth it. I live a mile from clearwater, and a few hundred feet from cedar, so I have spent lots of time on both those lakes. If you ask me, cedar is one of the worst lakes in the area, but clearwater is great. But thats not what this is about. Pelican is a great lake, and its going to be ruined. I just don't get your thinking. Its a great fishing lake now, mediocre to bad hunting, so you want to ruin it in hopes that there is a slight chance you can get a few ducks.

Mediocre hunting?

Sounds like a fisherman that just does not want the lake drained.

I can think of at least 25 other lakes in Wright County I would rather fish for Pike before I went to Pelican.

I can think of at least 25 other lakes in Wright County I would rather fish for Pike before I went to Pelican.

Ding Ding Ding! Attention everyone we have a winner for the most ridiculous statement made on this thread to date! If crowd, location,structure, water clarity etc. are your criteria then thats just your personal preference which isnt even relevant to this discussion. Its just another guys opinion on where and what he prefers to fish. This is about catching QUALITY pike in size and numbers in this area and destroying the very best Lake! But please convince me this is an intelligent statement and not just bullshitt pot stirring to keep yourself entertained and share with the less informed at least HALF of the 25 you can think of that would be better in quality fish, (not hammer handles) with better numbers. I would love for you to back this up with fact and see your list? But yea, just as I thought,,keep stirring.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

RRR please send me the list also where I can find better pike. I also need a nice road on the lake to get to the spots. Thanks. smile

I also need a nice road on the lake to get to the spots. Thanks. smile

Maybe if you would get rid of that girly Subaru you wouldn't need someone with a real vehicle to plow a road for you..... grin

Slough is also right about mediocre hunting. If you get excited about the hunting out there I feel sorry for you. You think the fishing is much better elsewhere you should give the fishing a break and start looking for a new hunting spot.

If Pelican is the very best lake for Pike in Wright County you obviously do not fish many lakes in Wright County.

The Mississippi blows Pelican away any day of the week for big Pike.

Hit the river now in Monticello and use the biggest Sucker Minnows you can find, if you can keep the giant Smallmouth off you will catch better Pike then you will on Pelican.

Also you do not need a road to fish the River, just a pair of waders or a Bucket to sit on.

Pelican is a swamp that has been allowed to get too deep to fulfill its role as a waterfowl wetland.

The fishing is mediocre at best.

Drain Baby Drain.

The worst thing that ever happened to Pelican lake is this site talking about it.

Clearwater is also vastly superior to Pelican for big Pike.

Agree on Clearwater, but I don't know about drastically, pike fishing is pretty good on Pelican, years ago I had 2 over 40 during open water and have seen some absolute beasts on follows and what not, I think its the second best pike lake behind clearwater, but I have a limited amount of lakes I fish over there, it is possible there is better than both of them, Wright county has an abundance of good fishing lakesQ

Anyone else kinda excited to see what hidden treasures show up when they drop the lake levels? I know there are a few lower units laying around but it will be interesting to see what else is under the water

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have drowned quite a few suckers on the mighty sippi down that way over the years and big northerns never found them. a few smaller ones. where are those big ones cuz I'd like to fight one.

Yea eyeguy your right there arent any, its bull and he knows it, hes just trying to save face for the stupid comment before about 25 better lakes than pelican. maybe this is #1 on the list? too bad you cant b.s the guys that fish the area all the time. Lots of good river fisherman on here so all chime in that have caught nice pike fishing the Miss.? Bet there arent many, I live on it and maybe have caught 4 over 10 years none the size of pelicans...nobody wants to be "that guy" that makes things worse the more he talks.... loosing credibility to me with every additional post. Heck I can be proven wrong pretty easy though who doesnt take a pic when they catch a big fish? Lets see the pics grin

I have to add the guys that claim there are better water to fish large pike in. Can not prove that what they claim. I have fished every big lake in wright county as well as many others for large pike NON match or even come close. The only possible lake would be Tonka, but then you would need to be willing to have 26ft plus boats driving over you and lines. I spend well ove 180days a year fishing, show us the magic lakes or shut your pie who;e. Don't give any lame reasons not to , because you can't prove your claim. All talk or should I say the talk flows out his face with every breath.

So drain yourself down your toilet into the river. I would like a close by duck pond but this will not be one in my life time, even if you would lower the water levels, won't happen. I met the guy that dug the first ditch 25year to lower this lake, and the local farm filled the ditch in for more land to form, now they want to dig it out again, Just another away waste of money....

Anyone who counts how many fish they catch and uses it as a sig is a troll. He does it all sections on this forum.