• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Draining...

With what's going on out there right now it doesnt even matter if its drained. Its sickening what these so called sportsmen are doing. Catching 100's of fish and just leaving them on the ice. Where is the DNR for this!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• 20lbSloughShark

• GIANT1

• eyeguy 54

I was out there on Tuesday, the fish are literally swimming into the hole and dying right in front of you. What reason would the dnr have to really care? All those fish are dying right now, any survivors will not have long as the draining starts this summer. I'm sure no one would claim its real sporting out there, but its the end, go get some

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

when did liberalized fishing become a sport??? LOL I have not been out there but I dont see what is wrong with chucking fish on the ice in this situation... Maybe some animal will benefit from it? If they are mostly all gonna be toast why not over harvest the crud out of it?

The DNR doesn't have the first clue about Washington. I'm not even sure why I'm still posting. Arguing with draining supporters is like mud wrestling a pig. After a while I realized you're enjoying it because you won.

No, honestly I dont care about winning. I am trying to educate you. You do not understand the simple concept of lake elevations. Thats what has me completely baffled.

Im curious if anyone is actually fishing the old fashion way out there anymore or if mostly people netting/spearing at this point.

I'm pretty sure trying to get the remaining fish to eat something at this point is not going to happen. Even the bullheads were coming up the holes barely alive yesterday. As far as any remaining fish getting huge in the next few years I don't think there will be any fish left. With everything dying now and the amount of time left this winter I would imagine the oxygen levels will be next to nothing.

No, honestly I dont care about winning. I am trying to educate you. You do not understand the simple concept of lake elevations. Thats what has me completely baffled.

Your not even understanding half of what I say. Yes I know how elevations work. I'll put it in words anyone can understand. There is a good chance the DNR is wrong about the elevations.

Creepworm, what are you even doing on this board? I'll listen to everything RumRiverRat has to say, but you shouldn't even have an opinion if your really in south dakota.

Your not even understanding half of what I say. .

Because what you are saying isn't making any sense...

The level of stupidity by some who post here has my laughing my butt off. A couple things. The lake is freezing out. All of the fish are going to die because the ice isn't going away anytime soon. Sure a few will survive. Hats off to the guy who drew a picture for Sloughshark. I about spit my coffee all over my desk. LOL Also, I don't mind them leaving the fish on the top of the ice. The eagles and other birds will be thankful. They can have fresh fish versus eating rotten ones two months from now when the ice is gone and million are floating. There isn't a scavenger around that will complain. The mink, coons, skunks, yotes, crow, eagles etc say thank you. Much like they do when someone dumps minnows on the ice.

Quote:
I'll put it in words anyone can understand. There is a good chance the DNR is wrong about the elevations.

For todays next lesson... the DNR does not have a guy that goes out and determines the elevations. They go off ArcGIS data.

So you are going to sit there and say the ArcGIS has the elevations of the lake surfaces incorrect?

Just when I think this cant get any funnier,,,,, I am thrown another curveball..... LMFAOOOO

Not the first time he's been spouting off about knowing more than others including real experts. You look hard enough you'll see other topics he's offered his ignorant "knowledge" to. Tried to teach Amsoil distributors the meaning of black goo being good and that 80:1 or 100:1 would never be right. Gotta take him with a grain of salt..but it should be offered as an "opinion" and not a fact as done previously. Plus...just cuz somebody may list SD/ND or CA as their home now doesn't mean they aren't from the area and know as much or more about the area than you. Should be careful about sharing your know all facts. But yea...good comedy. dumb.

Most elevations are taken by satellite and survey teams now days. ArcGIS is a computer program in which you can work with to make your own maps using tons of layers collected by survey crews, satellites, and aerial photos.

OK couldn't resist... Gotta post reality here. Attached is a map showing upper part of Washington Lake and the lower (SW corner) part of Pelican Lake. The Actual water surface elevations measured from LIDAR (Laser Imaging, Detection and Ranging) which is incredibly accurate (in this particular map you will notice 2 ft contours!) Washington 964.09 Feet above Sea level and Pelican 953.15 ft above sea level. You will note the elevation profile on the map with 2 ft accuracy really does not show an easy pathway for water to get from Washington to Pelican unless it has been piped. We all know water has this inherently unique property in that it is subject to gravity (IE it flows down hill and it achieves its own level) so this means Washington is higher than Pelican. Washington lake has an outlet elevation of 970 ft above seas level.. .So unless you dig through a hill more than 8 ft, water CAN NOT go out. Plain and simple. As was also mentioned, even if there was a connection, unless the channel is deeper than the outlet of Washington Lake, plain physics will not allow Washington lake to be drawn down at all. Just a few cents here...

full-2631-43124-pelican_wash_elevation2.

That's "a fact"!!! Although I like the little ducky cartoon better. Too bad some couldn't even follow that logic. yikes.

Now let's not let facts get in the way of what some guy that went to a meeting said.....

Maybe when the draw down happens on pelican it will change the overall jet stream of wright county and lake Washington will be affected by a drought now causing it to drop! It will be total chaos!

Here are some of the reasons you have given for not draining Pelican.

1. They can create a new 4,000 acre slough somewhere else.

2. It is the third best pike lake in MN.

3. It is the best lake in Wright County, that is a fact.

4. You cannot afford to drive to other lakes, even though you live within 2 miles of several.

5. You will move away from Wright county if Pelican is drained.

6. Drawing down Pelican will also lower Washington, even though it is impossible for that to happen.

7. Unexpected results will happen.

You should have stopped posting before reason #1.

You live in SoDak so Slough says you cannot post or have an opinion. LMAO

My pics were much better. Damm SH always has to try and one-up a guy.

smile

My pics were much better. Damm SH always has to try and one-up a guy.

smile

Hey man, loved the cartoons... But, I figured actual data might be a good idea... LOL

If we could find the 20" Box fan from the "FREE THINGS" forum and position it in said "2 foot deep creek" using a grounded GFCI outlets pointing the fan in direction of said "washington lake" it would therefore blow the water back in that direction creating something similar to Moses parting the red sea (wall of water) preventing lake washington's h2o from passing through 2' deep creek into pelican. However we may have to dam up 4" of the creek bed being that the creek is 24" deep and the fan is only 20" tall, otherwise 4" of water could pass over the top of the 20" box fan, leaving us in the original predicament.

discussion?

Omfg.... 20" box fan brought into this...... classic!!!!!!!!

Stop ! Enough ! I am getting facial cramps from laughing !

I forsee a big padlock in this threads future wink

Other thsn being entertaining, this thread has degraded way past some of the posts that have been moved to Sillytown frown

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Yes, stop having fun. This is a serious situation so back to arguing about something that no ones going to win! mad