• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pelican Draining...

I'd like to come up and help rid this lake of some of its fish. How you boys usually do this liberalized fishing thing? I

Cut a big hole in the ice n scoop them in a net when they come up for oxygen....if u find the right spot of course!

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RumRiverRat

• 20lbSloughShark

• GIANT1

• eyeguy 54

No actually they are draining it, filling it in and making a sub division out of it. Got my lot all staked out.

I thought it was going to be a big cornfield.

workin'

Ok- on the recent downfall of Pelican. I fish out there a few times. Really could careless if they drain it or not. But lets look at the laws. We as fisherman must, remove all aquatic weeds from our boat before leaving the boat landing. Drain our livewells and bait buckets. Is that true or isn't it? But now, the Minnesota DNR and USFWS can "without permission" drain the waters from a infected species lake water into a water system that will reach the Gulf of Mexico. Well all the states in the downstream should be aware the MN DNR and USFWS will be covering the cost of waters that are infected by this stupidity.

Just keeping it light with a quote from Stripes.

Didn't mean much by it.

Hester are you referring to me?

I will.

You failed to comprehend that the water will be drained into a system that is already infested with AIS.

Now that that toilet is finally dying off they should pump it out and plant some corn.

Now that that toilet is finally dying off they should pump it out and plant some corn.

An ethanol plant is a better idea.

"Lighten up Francis".

Thanks, I new something wasn't right with it. Oh well.

Pelican is infected with milfoil that was detected 2 years ago. Draining it would go to the river, and impact everything down stream. Plus the rise of Pelican has created erosion on homeowners properties. Their drain plan would create further erosion on those properties, and I think the DNR would have some legal issues to contend with.

Pelican is infected with milfoil that was detected 2 years ago. Draining it would go to the river, and impact everything down stream. Plus the rise of Pelican has created erosion on homeowners properties. Their drain plan would create further erosion on those properties, and I think the DNR would have some legal issues to contend with.

The crow and the Mississippi are also infested so it does not matter.

This is going to happen, no stopping it now

Erosion of property is not the DNRs fault, part of have waterfront property.

I think it is funny to liberize a lake after all the oxygen is gone. Go into a room with no air for 3 minutes and see if you want to eat a steak.

I think it is funny to liberize a lake after all the oxygen is gone. Go into a room with no air for 3 minutes and see if you want to eat a steak.

Actually most people cut holes in the ice and people will spear or net the fish when they come up. The fish are not looking to eat, they are hoping to breath easier.

I think a big thing people are missing is that it will affect way more than just pelican lake. The biggest affect I can think of is to washington lake which is connected to pelican. It will lower the lake a few feet. It will also cut off water access to the people that live on that channel. Its already a 25' deep lake, it too might start to suffer from winterkill after the drain. Its too late to stop, but it is one of the worst decisions I have ever seen made with the environment in wright county.

Slough,

How is draining Pelican going to affect Washington lake?

Pelican is connected to Washington?

People are missing that detail because it is not even a fact.

Pelican is not connected to Washington.

Get your facts straight before making ridiculous claims about something you obviously know little about.

Can we please lock/end this thread? The dishes are done.

As little as I agree with Rum river rat he is right Washington isn't connected to pelican.

I will sum it up for everyone.

Living on Pelican has been a real treat over the years with the influx of Fishermen and all of the general public that uses it as a resource. What everyone is missing is that there is a balance. Back in the 80's there were dry years where the lake would drop feet not inches. Some say it is the farmers that have tiled to the lake. Fact is that the same tiles people talk about have been there before that timeframe. To give the DNR and Wildlife Officials a break by taking a step to at least make an attempt whether it is a duck, goose, bird, deer or fish it is important to know that the project moved forward because of local support. If you look at the landowners on and around the lake and if you talked to 99% of them they would be able to tell you of a very different Pelican Lake than what it is known for today. There are many people with a passion for the lake and from that standpoint it has been cool to fish it with great success while it has been available. Remember we live in a me me me world. The project has been slated to move forward for many years and actually could have moved much sooner but there was a handshake deal made that it would not be drained until AFTER a WINTERKILL. The lake will change and the hope is for the better for the general good of a resource not a group or an interest but for what the lake was historically. We are fortunate to live in a State with many passionate people and that while Pelican is a "staple" to many in a significant radius we are fortunate in so that there are many others lakes in the area so with that while it may not be the Pelican going forward we have grown to know it as for 10+ years now the hope is that it will be the Pelican that it had been historically right wrong or in different.....

Well said Jim!

Quote:
As little as I agree with Rum river rat he is right Washington isn't connected to pelican.

Even if it was connected via some waterway, if Slough did any research he would see that Washington Lake is 960 ft elevation. Pelican is 953ft.... So if Pelican is 7 ft lower than Washington, why hasnt it drained out Washington to this point? confused

I have to say, this thread has been very entertaining to follow, so I vote to keep from locking it. LOLLLL

I think you are right, it is probably fine for the ducks as a resting spot as long as everyone agrees that longterm hunting in the immediate area will be limited and eventually unavailable.

I think it will be most beneficial in the spring as they are on their way to Canada or the pothole regions. They can have unpressured access to the lake while resting, but it is really to large to be considered an ideal nesting pond and way too large for pair. I don't think it will be a great resting spot in the fall due the volume of hunters and continous pressure that one might expect when it is one of the first spots hunters from the cities will drive to when looking for a legal spot to hunt.

Also the post somebody made about how the flyway has shifted is true. Opinions may differ on why but it has moved further west and a pond like this is just not likely to see the resting that it would in the pothole regions.

That is information coming from someone who lives on washington lake. He did his research, and went to the meetings. It is connected on the south west part of pelican. It goes under the road. Then a creek runs into the north east part of washington. I doubt he is making this up, he doesn't even fish.

full-28362-43062-image.jpg

Where is there anything connecting these 2 bodies of water?

Quote:
It is connected on the south west part of pelican. It goes under the road. Then a creek runs into the north east part of washington. I doubt he is making this up, he doesn't even fish.

Please explain then how Washington is currently 7 ft higher in elevation than Pelican and it hasnt drained out if there is such a direct connection?

I think your friend needs to pay closer attention or stop making things up.

His friend drinks the same Kool-Aid and doesn't want pelican drained since its a world class pike fishery

Where are you getting the elevation from, the DNR website? Yeah, the lake map from the DNR shows it as a slough with a 12' max. I've already fished over 25' deep in that lake...