• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

spring snow goose hunts

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bryce

• minky

• fishuhalik

• tracker x-2

I'll try & pop a few as they fly through nd. We don't get as many as the central part of the state, but there's usually enough to get a couple decent pass shoots in.

Missouri and south Dakota for sure, may make it to north Dakota and maybe even get in on a shoot here in Minnesota depending on how things play out this yr. Snow geese have become a bad addiction for me and can never seem to get enough no matter how bad we get our butts kicked on certain trips.

I am heading to south central ND this weekend for an ice fishing trip and hope to make some local connections for spring snow goose hunting. Nothing else I will get in some great ice fishing and meet some nice people.

I'm planning on heading to SD this spring for the first time with a group of guys. got the gun all cleaned and mag ext. on!!!

How do u go aboat finding a place to hunt, do u guys book a guide or what, my youngest son wants to go spring goose hunting, and i dont have a clue on where to even begin finding a place to go

North Dakota it is, did decent last spring but timing and with the snow events it wasn't easy, got people in Ellendale and Oakes lined up so it's a waiting game, best part is the farmers call me when it's starting to kick in.

Icecold, keep an eye on migration reports and plan on spending 2 days in the truck scouting, before you find a good field. Offcourse sometimes you get lucky and find a good field your first day. If you have decoys and a good knowledge of goose hunting there is no need for a guide. Freelancing you get to meet great people and have the gratification of making your own success.

Should be a banner spring had my best fall ever with them this year, over 800 shot, and my best shoot ever at 182. The decoying was unreal. Anyways ill be in Sodak this spring chasing the white devils, and praying for Nodak blizzards.

• 2 weeks later...

Guided hunt or teaming up with an experienced friend is a pretty good idea for a first time snow goose trip. Not only to help learn that these birds work differently than other waterfowl but also to avoid dumping a big chunk of change into something you may not like. I would say you should have a minimum of 10 dozen decoys per hunter to make an attempt. Even with economies, you and the boy are into it for about $700. Choose what other goodies you want from there. Ground blinds, e-callers, atv and cargo trailer can be done without for awhile. It's a blast when that big tornado comes down on top you. We fail to show you the video of days where several hundred thousand birds never get closer than 100 yards before bailing. You'll have alot of those before the tornado.

What do you do with all the snow geese?

I heard smoking them is a good option.

Can they be cooked in a slow cooker?

Thanks,

Minky

Just noticed my video didn't come through. Must have entered it wrong. Nice looking field just across the border in Sodak last year. Not worth the minor hassle of getting a license. Had many fields like this on Nodak side.

Heard of both methods being enjoyed. I personally can't stand the taste of waterfowl. What I can't gift away gets processed into snack sticks at Von Hansons. About half of my pheasants get mixed in and then they have come up with a personalized blend for us. Cheddar cheese and just enough cayenne to get your attention without being painful. Quite a few other recipes out there also. Some guys at least claim to love em.

Heard of both methods being enjoyed. I personally can't stand the taste of waterfowl. What I can't gift away gets processed into snack sticks at Von Hansons. About half of my pheasants get mixed in and then they have come up with a personalized blend for us. Cheddar cheese and just enough cayenne to get your attention without being painful. Quite a few other recipes out there also. Some guys at least claim to love em.

Oh yah we did the Von Hanson sticks one year, they were good but almost tipped over when I saw the bill ( we were supposed to get a deal) buddy of mine sold them a house, we got a deal but not that good of one $1000.00 for goose sticks eek Now we do our own..

I acually like waterfowl if it's cooked right and wrapping bacon around it isn't part of it.. Everybody wants to wrap bacon around it and try to kill the taste, or slow cook it to death, yuk..

The only thing I can add that Bryce hasn't mentioned is to try and avoid the leading edge and main migration of birds, yah it's quiet a sight to see but thats mostly what you will be doing, bird watching, unless all the stars

align and you have perfect conditions it's pretty tough, try to go at the tail end of the migration, more young birds birds and less pressure. You will put on more miles but it will be worth it. We don't even make reservations for a place to stay because you may end up 200 miles from where you were planning on hunting. And if you go late enough you may not need as many decoys, your hunting birds that are feeding rather than migrating.. And never hunt on the weekend..

I tried it last year and got there right before that big storm hit in april shot 5 shells seen 20 birds. pickd up decoys before the storm hit and about 30 min before sunset the skys filled with birds I was sick to my stomach. But then I ended up shooting my first 2 snows here in MN in the first part of the split. I have another buddy trying to talk me into going but all him and his group do is pass shoot. Im not much for just pass shooting I want some birds to work a spread and not be taking 60+ yard shots like I hear some in his group do.

I'm actually becoming more of a fan of the very lead edge birds. Some days they decoy just as good as the back edge of the migration.

Looks like things are off to a good start. Guide photo from FB so not sure on location. Would guess Arkansas. Have seen one report of birds as far north as Southern Nebraska. Little skeptical of that report. Caption says 226.

full-283-42119-rps20140131_144419.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What do you do with all the snow geese?

I heard smoking them is a good option.

Can they be cooked in a slow cooker?

Thanks,

Minky

Every one that i have been given was ground up into hamburger and mixd with beef and then i just use it were you use reg hamburger

I am going with a few of my buddies to South Dakota the first weekend in April. We ended up booking a guide because none of us have hunted snows before. If we enjoy the hunt I will buy the decoys for the 2015 hunt.

I am going with a few of my buddies to South Dakota the first weekend in April. We ended up booking a guide because none of us have hunted snows before. If we enjoy the hunt I will buy the decoys for the 2015 hunt.

I normally despise the whole guiding/outfitter business but in this case I believe your doing it the right way, it takes alot of cash to get rigged for the spring season and one weekend in the spring slop with either make you want more or steer you the other direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow is the forecast ugly. I'm going to guess little chance of sharing a green beer with this guy. full-283-42980-2012_03_1723.32.10.jpg

This was 2012. The trip that made me give up 3 1/2" fodder. Taking 7 of them to get to the plug when wearing a t-shirt about enough to make you cry. Wouldn't be surprised this year to hear of guys still picking on juvies Easter weekend by Sand Lake. Leading edge likely to be a mess with mixed flocks of cacklers/specks/sobs.