• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New to River Fishing

calli4120

For the last few years I have been reading these forums and wanted to give it a try but I have always been intimidated by the river.

What tips you would give a first time St. Croix ice fisherman?

I will probably be trying to access the River close to St. Paul when i go but would also be interested in knowing about the options to the Northern side of town if possible.

One thing I noticed is that the Bayport access post says that it might be closed but it hasnt been updated since early December. Any info on if this is indeed closed?

Thanks in Advance

you should be fine with the access. there is daily traffic. if by chance it is closed, you can park in the park and walk out to the point. advice to you: prepared to be skunked. many days on the river, some days are good, most are not.

As far as fishing the St. Croix, Bayport Pool is just about your only option. There are no other access points, and anything below Bayport all the way to Prescott is highly unstable ice conditions. Everything you read about winter fishing on this forum is about the Bayport Pool.

Check the threads above here in the St. Croix River Forum about access:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...oix#Post1765774

and icefishing lure staples:

http://www.hotspotoutdoors.com/forum/ubb...apl#Post2139058

A wealth of knowledge in these posts.

Those post have tons of good info and reading them is what got me interested in trying it out.

Thanks for the clarification on the Ice and where exactly the area is.

Are there any spots that people Ice fish or that are fishable ice around Taylors Falls?

What is the bayport access like? Is it steep or gentle slope?

Again, thanks for the info

Bayport access is very easy saw cars and vans use it

Perfect.

I have a little black chevy HHR so if you see one with a guy that looks like he has no idea what he is doing, that is probabaly me grin

What about current? I think I read somewhere that you need fish with your flasher down stream? How far away do I need to put my flasher hole?

What about current? I think I read somewhere that you need fish with your flasher down stream? How far away do I need to put my flasher hole?

Yep, 2' or less downstream and you should be good to go. Drill a hole first that you plan to fish from, clean it out and drop a line to see the direction of current. It's not always straight downriver.

And magic-minnow is right. Be prepared to be skunked, but the chance of getting into some NICE size crappies is what keeps us coming back.

And magic-minnow is right. Be prepared to be skunked, but the chance of getting into some NICE size crappies is what keeps us coming back.

St. Croix: 2, Magic Minnow: 0. I'll still be there this weekend smile

Taylors Falls and Bayport are almost a world of difference: flowage, depth, driving distance.

If you are new as you say, just follow the Bayport crowd. It's a zoo once you find it so the ice roads should be driveable if not plowed. MN entrance point is flat but a bumpy ride.

I'm a newbie too to the river. I want to go out this weekend. I have a full sized SUV. How much ice is out there now?

I'm a newbie too to the river. I want to go out this weekend. I have a full sized SUV. How much ice is out there now?

Full size trucks all over out there. Stick to the well used areas till you learn your way around and you should be just fine.

Thanks.

Is Ferry Landing Park in North Hudson the Wisconsin entry point for that same stretch of ice?