• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Kluwe: Vikings assistant is a “bigot,” Frazier and Spielman “cowards”

PurpleFloyd

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Canon Guy

• CaptainMusky

• fishersofmen

• FISHINGURU

^^ Nice try ^^
I think he summed it up pretty well. Sam was at best graded a middle round pick. Up to the draft his stock had dropped and it wasnt because of his sexual orientation. He performed poorly at the combine and wasnt able to complete many drills due to an injury.

The folks that broke down barriers like Jackie Robinson, the only chance they took on those players was their race. They were and are legendary talented players. Once folks saw through the color of the skin they were awarded with some miraculous play.

Michael Sam is not that guy for the LGBT. He may be the first openly gay player entering the NFL, but I think time will tell that he isnt at all comparable talent wise to those who broke down the race barrier.

correct. jackie was raking in the negro leagues and they wanted to get him to the majors....he started in AAA and just flat out was head over shoulders better.

Sam was at best graded a middle round pick. Up to the draft his stock had dropped and it wasnt because of his sexual orientation.

We don't know for sure that it played no role, and we never will. If Dungy would not have drafted him because of the "distraction" factor, possibly other teams might have passed on him also for that same reason. He likely was not going to be a first round draft choice, but there is no way to know where he would have been drafted if he had not come out. Where he was graded does not tell the story either, because many times players are picked well above or well below where they were graded.

the first black people brought in to coach/play in white leagues ended up being hall of fames for sure talents. not 7th round tweeners who have a 50/50 chance of being cut.

Without looking it up can you tell me the first black players in the NFL, NBA and NHL? Were they Hall of Fame talents and are they in the Hall of Fame for the chosen league?

None of this really matters when it comes to the subject of the thread. The coach lied to the public,then lied to investigators. He should have been fired, just like most would have been in their professions. Read carefully what I said. I am not saying he should have been fired for his homophobic words, but for his blatant lies that came later.

That is true, so it should be no shock at all that he was drafted where he was right? Considering history as you state, even those who were not openly gay may have dropped on draft day? Why make a big deal about him dropping in the draft or Dungy's comments now? ITS BECAUSE HE IS GAY and the media wants to make a big stink about it that's why!

I am quite sure that Dungy made that comment about MANY other players if he were asked about whether or not to draft them that would have other "distractions".

He didnt say anything about disagreeing with it or anything.

Would you knowingly put someone into a bad situation intentially if given the chance?

Here Johnny, walk out there with this T-bone wrapped around your neck into the yard with all those hungry dogs.

That is true, so it should be no shock at all that he was drafted where he was right? Considering history as you state, even those who were not openly gay may have dropped on draft day?

I am not shocked where he was drafted, nor would I have have been shocked had he been drafted in the second round

Without looking it up can you tell me the first black players in the NFL, NBA and NHL? Were they Hall of Fame talents and are they in the Hall of Fame for the chosen league?

all the first black nfl football players are in the hall of fame for the most part. The nba there was a huge influx surprisingly a while after the mlb and nfl has already started allowing african americans into the leagues. why because they were head and shoulders more talented than what else was available. they weren't drafted so the teams could be pioneers socially. no idea in the nhl. i only know the one guy who was a blue.

hey you started whining about dungy.

It kinda sounded like you were saying it's okay to let minority players into white leagues and gay players into straight leagues only if they were HOF talent. That's what it sounded like anyway. Don't care if that's what you meant or not.

As for the Dungy deal... I dunno, I still respect him, we all say things that come out wrong sometimes. Here's a snippet i found that sums up my feelings on the issue though.

"espn comments that kinda sum up what I feel about the dungy comment]The harm in what Dungy has said about Michael Sam lies not in his motivation for saying it, but in the impact it could have on the league, the player and the players who would follow in Sam's footsteps. Dungy's words -- and the fact that it was someone as respected as he is who said them -- serve to legitimize one of the excuses teams might have had, and might still have, for not employing an openly gay player. And that's not going to help the progress that Sam is bravely working to help achieve."

thats not what it really sounded like at all. teams are willing to take on distractions if their return is winning games. thats been the MO of team owners for as long as i can remember. the dodgers took on jackie because he was far and away the best baseball player on the planet. the distraction was way outweighed by what he gave you on the field. compare that to a marginal player? 31 other teams felt the same way.

as for your 2nd quote. it doesnt' make sense especially coming from espn. for you and me, sure. a guy should be given a fair shake regardless of what legal lifestyle one leads. ESPN covering the story 24/7 has done more damage for gay players coming out and having a normal nfl career than anything tony dungy says.

Grant Fuhr was the first Black NHL player elected to the HOF. he wasnt the first black player, the first just happened to be a below average player 52 years ago only playing a few games for the Bruins. He is not in the hockey HOF, but is recognized widely for his contributions off the ice.

I would say hockey is a poor example though since there are so few "minorities" playing hockey especially at the NHL level.

ESPN covering the story 24/7 has done more damage for gay players coming out and having a normal nfl career than anything tony dungy says.

Please tell me why ESPN is doing damage for future gay players.

Again,this is all off the subject.The coach should have been fired.

Your opinion he should have been fired. I don't feel that way. Ray rice got two games for beating his wife and dragging her around. He should be in jail.

Your opinion he should have been fired. I don't feel that way. Ray rice got two games for beating his wife and dragging her around. He should be in jail.

You or someone else brought up Ray Rice before. He got off way too easy but one case has nothing to do with the other.

You're right they have nothing to do with each other but which act is worse? No comparison in my opinion. Regardless I don't think he needs to be fired. Considering everything that goes on in these locker rooms there would be no one left employed period!

Exactly if the coach needs to be fired they need to shut down the entire league. Far worse things have been done and said in the NFL than what happened here. Good thing the ultra sensitive don't work at my place of employment. You wouldn't believe what gets said there, and yea I'm referring to what my gay co-worker talks about.

I wonder what Kluwe thinks of this thread?
I'm sure he's tweeting about it right now.

Please tell me why ESPN is doing damage for future gay players.

Again,this is all off the subject.The coach should have been fired.

seriously? you can't see the hypocrisy? i guess i'm not surprised at this point.

seriously? you can't see the hypocrisy? i guess i'm not surprised at this point.

While I don't think Priefer should have been fired (based on what we know about anyway who knows what was in the full report the vikes are holding out on which is the basis for Kluwe's recent undie bunching....), the espn article I nabbed that quote from actually went on to say a lot of positive things about the future of openly gay individuals in sports and while I don't pay attention to all the ESPN talk shows/radio out there at least the article took a positive spin on something I'm sure dungy regrets saying the way he said it. Sam broke the barrier, hopefully we can move on and worry about actual problems in our society.

HASHtag run-on-sentences-are-fun.

I guess I'm not surprised you chose not to answer the question.

Your ESPN comment is utterly ridiculous.

hey you started whining about dungy.

Another ridiculous statement by you. I did not bring up Dungy here, someone else did. I also said I like and respect him, but thought he dropped the ball here.

I can say that I respect Dungy for this. He was completely honest, he probably knew folks weren't going to like what he said but he just stated kinda what 31 teams were thinking.......

I know when I think about it I was happy the Vikings didn't grab him, and it wasn't about his orientation, it was we really don't need a distraction like that we just need to stay on the down low.

Ok, 1 more thing. I thought Sam was the SEC Defensive player of the year????? Am I right on that? How in the bleep is he only a 7th rounder?

This is from the Star Tribune beat writer. I agree with him as do many others.

Quote:

Mike Priefer is a lucky guy today. Yes, lucky.

If he worked for another employer, the Vikings special teams coordinator might be out of a job. Instead, he will only serve a three-game suspension — two, if he completes certain conditions — for making hurtful remarks about gays and then lying about his comments to anyone who would listen.

Priefer is lucky his insensitive comments didn’t get him fired because the Vikings would have been justified in doing so. Based on both his comments and his steadfast denial in the aftermath, the team certainly had grounds to dismiss Priefer, and I would have supported it

The bolded parts are my reason for believing the guy should have been fired, as I have said here many times.

Justified in doing so is one thing and deserves firing is another. Could have have fired him? Probably. Should they have fired him? I don't believe so. As do many others agree.