• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 Vikings head coach is....

Scott K

It's all a crapshoot anyways, some coordinators can make the transition to head coach while others can't. Completely different animal being head coach versus coordinator. Hopefully who ever the Vikes get will have something special because he will be inheriting a mess.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• CaptainMusky

• Scott K

• BuckSutherland

Wisenhunt wasn't even interested in the Vikings coaching opening...or any of the others for that matter. Him and Detroit were linked early. He learned from his time in AZ that if you don't have a solid QB...well, you won't hold on to your job for very long.

I'll assume the Vikings and other teams contacted him and he simply told them "no thanks".

The one comment that I read today that I liked the most about Zimmer was that he is a tell it like it is, no B.S. guy that has a lot of connections in the football world and would have no trouble bringing in a top flight offensive mind. He is also a guy that shows some emotion. One guy actually referred to him as the "anti-Frazier". That alone makes this an attractive hire. Leslie seemed like a very likeable guy, but most games, I was wondering how long it was going to be until the medical staff checked him for a pulse. I have never seen a more disinterested looking coach in all the football I have ever watched.

Why are people so concerned with what a coach looks like on the sideline? A guy that shows emotion can be just as inept as a guy who is low key.

If I'm looking for a coaching candidate what he looks like on the sideline wouldn't make the top 1000 things I am judging him on.

As long as he can lead and motivate his players in his own way I don't care if he's running up and down the sidelines screaming or if he's doing it with a calm quiet voice.

I fully agreed with the firing of Frazier but the one thing I'll give him credit for is that even during a miserable season with seemingly nonsensical approach to the QB position he still never lost his locker room. The team played hard for him until the bitter end. The tells me that he could motivate his players in his own way, he didn't need to yell and stomp up and down the sideline like an one-who-thinks-I-am-silly to get his point across. His major issue was not in his demeanor but rather in the X's and O's of the game plan and in game adjustments.

Wisenhunt wasn't even interested in the Vikings coaching opening...or any of the others for that matter. Him and Detroit were linked early. He learned from his time in AZ that if you don't have a solid QB...well, you won't hold on to your job for very long.

I'll assume the Vikings and other teams contacted him and he simply told them "no thanks".

Actually he just signed a deal to become the Titans head coach.

I saw that...kinda suprising being that most reports had the Lions waiting to hire him once the Chargers season was over.

I would have liked a Wisenhunt hire for the Vikes but I'm on board with the other top candidates Spielman is looking at too.

I'd take a calm demeanor like Leslie's over a complete lunatic like harbaugh... I used to like him... He's nothing more than an annoying side show now. Between him and boldin, it was enough to want to tip the tv over!

Good Luck!

Ken

The thing about Leslie on the sideline that bugged me was he never really said anything to his players after some really STUPID mistakes or penalties. Fred Evans would come off the field after 3 offsides penalties, and not one coach would be there to rip into him. It was just like a don't let it happen again type of thing. Those types of things killed us in a lot of games, and those guys should be scolded imo.

Zimmer is a strong leader and holds people accountable, that's something we need around here. Would be nice to see a little fire in a coaches eye for once.

My issue with Frazier and his demeanor is that football is very much an emotional game. If it wasn't, you would play the game on paper, not on the field. Whether it was AP ripping off an 80 yard run, or the affor mentioned Fred Evans jumping offsides for the 3rd time in as many plays, you never saw any emotion out of him. If the coach is that flat, the emotion in the locker room can't be far behind. Frazier looked like he was ready for a nap and could care less what was going on more often than not.

Well said! I have told a few friends over the season that Frazer showed no emotion and didn't seem like he has a head coach deminor.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:
And I really wish that the NFL would keep any of this carp from happening until the playoffs are over. Its not fair to the guys who are still with teams who are in the playoffs yet to not be hired cause they are doing good.
Pretty sure this will never happen because poor teams would be at even more of a disadvantage when it comes to draft prep. They want their coaches in as soon as possible to start looking for solutions to the problems.

I'd take a calm demeanor like Leslie's over a complete lunatic like harbaugh... I used to like him... He's nothing more than an annoying side show now. Between him and boldin, it was enough to want to tip the tv over!
And I would take any coach who was capable of upsetting GB fans on a regular basis. laugh

The Harbaughs, Tomlin, & Pete Carrol to name a few.

I Have no problem with a coach beating the Packers. In fact if a coach puts together a great game plan and peats the Packers, I'm the 1st to admit it. I'm not on the team, so it has little impact on me or my life. I like the Packers more than any other team, but I dont live vicariously through them. I like football, I'm not a raving lunatic fan. I could care less if the Vikings get Parcells and become successful... My life would go on the same as any other day... I lived through the Packers of the 70s. Been there!

But I do get sick of the whining by players and coaches and Harbaugh leads the way... by light years! I wouldn't say I don't 'like him' as a 'coach' he seems to do a fine job putting together a game plan... just his incessant need to look like a major league tool bag on the side lines. I'm glad the refs flagged him 15 yards the other day. Need more of that. Too bad it happened at a time of the game where the penalty had no impact. But then again, I like men with character... not whiney little brats... which he and his players are becoming.

Fot the record, his brother, Carroll and Tomlin are stand up guys. They act like a head coach, not a 13 year old watching a game like brother Jim

Good Luck

Ken

Fot the record, his brother, Carroll and Tomlin are stand up guys. They act like a head coach, not a 13 year old watching a game like brother Jim

Good Luck

Ken

Stand up guys who just happen to attempt to intentionally affect the outcome of a specific play by stepping onto the field?

Or stand up guys who break virtually every recruiting rule in the book while at USC and then run away to the NFL just as penalties are being handed out.

Not much into college football other than a few Big-10 games... so no idea what Carroll did in USC... but I think it's safe to say that every major college breaks as many recruiting rules as possible without getting caught. Just the way college athletics is...

But that means, the head of the athletics and Dean of admissions and any other admin person knew about the infractions also...

I like the idea of del Rio. .. let's try someone with head coach experience. Maybe they'll find a qb finally.

I liked whizinator and didn't hate del Rio idea. Don't know much about zimmer other than he has had great defenses every where he has been.

It would be more important who the offensive coordinator is should he get the job.

The thing about Leslie on the sideline that bugged me was he never really said anything to his players after some really STUPID mistakes or penalties. Fred Evans would come off the field after 3 offsides penalties, and not one coach would be there to rip into him. It was just like a don't let it happen again type of thing. Those types of things killed us in a lot of games, and those guys should be scolded imo.

Yeah, I'm sure scolding will solve everything. crazy

About time, I'm pretty excited to see a new era around here, not just these same guys that run the same system using the same players expecting different results.

I was wondering how long it was going to be until the medical staff checked him for a pulse. I have never seen a more disinterested looking coach in all the football I have ever watched.

Are you talking about Detroit's new coach? He makes Leslie look like Rob Ryan.