• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

2014 Vikings head coach is....

Scott K

Quote:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Vikings have requested permission to interview Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell for their head-coaching vacancy.

Bevell was a candidate for the Arizona head-coaching job last season before inking an extension with the Seahawks. The soon-to-be 44-year-old was the Vikings' offensive coordinator from 2006-2010. Seattle averaged 339 yards of total offense per game in the regular season, good for 17th in the league. Bevell prefers a run-first approach, which would obviously cater to Adrian Peterson. The Vikings have also requested an interview with Seahawks DC Dan Quinn.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FISHINGURU

• CaptainMusky

• Scott K

• zepman

Quote:

The Vikings are in the process of setting up a head-coaching interview with Cardinals DC Todd Bowles.

The Browns are in pursuit of Bowles, too, though there is speculation he's only being used as satisfaction for the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate in head-coaching searches. The Vikings have also targeted Seahawks DC Dan Quinn to replace Leslie Frazier.

Quote:

The Vikings have requested permission to interview Seahawks DC Dan Quinn for their head-coaching vacancy.

Quinn also appears to be on the Browns' short list after a phenomenal year running Seattle's defense under Pete Carroll. Vikings GM Rick Spielman has said he plans to have a new head coach in place by January's Senior Bowl.

David Shaw, who is head coach of Stanford right now, but I highly doubt he leaves to come to the Pros. I like him, especially since he was with Harbaugh. He is only a couple points from being undefeated this season.

I would take Favre as a OC, but I am pretty sure the Packers would want him in the office, when he is ready to get back into the NFL

Quote:
Vikings head coach search starts with Broncos coordinators Jack Del Rio and Adam Gase

The trend of Broncos coordinators being hot NFL head coaching candidates continues in 2013. In fact, it's hotter than ever.

Minutes after the Minnesota Vikings fired Leslie Frazier, two names surfaced as possible replacements. Both are coordinators for the Denver Broncos.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Vikings have already inquired about Adam Gase, Denver's first-year offensive coordinator. They are also thought to be interested in Jack Del Rio, the former Vikings linebacker who filled in as Broncos interim head coach for four games this season.

Broncos coordinators have been a hot NFL coaching commodity in recent years. Raiders head coach Dennis Allen was Denver's defensive coordinator, while Chargers head coach Mike McCoy left the Broncos' offensive coordinator position just a year ago.

Broncos fans thought they might have avoided losing JDR after USC hired Steve Sarkisian, but apparently Del Rio is still an interesting name in NFL coaching circles.

Jack Del Rio's head coach resume

Years with Broncos: 2

Record as defensive coordinator (Broncos): 26-7

Record as head coach (all-time): 71-72

Jack Del Rio went 3-1 as Broncos interim head coach in 2013, and his record as Jaguars head coach was not too shabby considering the talent his GM left him with. It's only a matter of time before Del Rio, a noted player's coach, gets a second chance in the NFL. Will that be in 2014?

Adam Gase's head coach resume

Years with Broncos: 5

Record as offensive coordinator (Broncos): 13-3

Adam Gase only has one season as an NFL offensive coordinator, but in that one season he helped the Broncos break just about every NFL offensive record in the book. Most of the credit has understandably gone to QB Peyton Manning - and John Elway for creating a team loaded with so much talent - but perhaps Gase is on this list because teams recognize his impact on Denver's offense as well. Gase spent two years as Broncos wide receivers coach then two years as quarterbacks coach before his promotion to offensive coordinator in January 2013, directly coaching the likes of Brandon Marshall, Tim Tebow, and Peyton Manning.

I would prefer to see some guy come in with head coaching experience but considering the Vikings have never hired one I am not holding out hope.

Of those listed above Del Rio interests me most.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

What about Lovie Smith. Why not throw his hat in the ring?

Unimpressed with the Seahawk D coordinator and Bronco O-coordinator. Neither one of them has done anything meaningful enough to gain the type of recognition and have the credentials of an NFL head coach.

I wouldn't mind...

--Del Rio

--Whisenhunt

--Bengal D- Coordinator

--Jay Gruden

--others....

I think this team needs a younger, energetic guy like a Tomlin to lead us through the next few years. His mold is what I'd be looking to follow in a coaching search.

I really like the idea of Del Rio, granted he has much better talent in Denver that here. But he made that work very well. And the ties to MN wouldn't be bad either, I think he would be a good likeable guy. But Zep is right, a younger coach could be good as well as we are trying to rebuild with a younger team. But on that note wouldn't you want an older coach the young guys can look up to rather than "relate" to?

I dunno Del Rio seems like a has been to me. He does hold an NFL coaching record though,"longest tenure of any coach without winning a division championship—over eight years." I wouldn't be mad if we got him though but I'd like to see someone fresh and new.

I'm always leary of Coordinators of stacked teams, pretty much anyone on this site could be Peytons Coordinator.

I do think this team needs an energetic guy, I'd like to see a guy with some fire every now and again instead of a 24/7 statue.

Just to toss out some other names: Brady Hoke, Tyrone Willingham, Chris Petersen. Jon Gruden wouldn't think about coming here, too cold and too hard to keep a tan. Mike Shanahan would want too much control and would clash with Spielman. Not sure if a coordinator would be the way to go with no coaching experience. I like Lovie because of the fact he coached in the division and knows what it takes to win. He already has a team of coaches ready to come on board with him. He won with Grossman so maybe he could do the same with um, you know, Ponder. Vikes could then draft for a different position with 8th pick and find a qb in later rounds. Whoever the coach will be I hope he can have a good working relationship with Spielman. If team continues to flounder, then Spielman gets dumped.

I just want a head coach that either can coach a QB or brings in a GOOD QB coach!

The draft in thin for a quality and ready to start QB and if we draft one, it WILL be a work in process and we see what the last 3 years did for that without a someone that knows beans about that position.

Darrel Bevell for HC and call the plays. Musgrave has to go. Maybe the ol' gunslinger for OC-QB coach. Ponder and Freeman battle for #1. draft a QB in 3-4 rounds. If Monte Kiffen wants to coach yet and the Cowboys let him go- bring him back to run the Defense. Dan Quinn looks like a quality younger guy too. If they can't get those guys, Bill Cowher or Chucky could be the BAD Ace-in-the hole motivator this team really needs

Chucky says he doesn't want any of these coaching jobs, he's happy with his Monday Night Football gig. A guy like him and Cowher want a team that's stacked, not these rebuilding mode teams.

Bevell would know how to work with our new QB Johnny Football since he is similar to Wilson. grin

Cross this one off the list.

Quote:
Penn State coach Bill O’Brien reportedly told a recruit over the weekend that he wasn’t leaving.

He may not be leaving, but he sure ain’t staying.

Via multiple reports, O’Brien has struck a deal to become the head coach of the Houston Texans. O’Brien, who spent two years at Penn State after serving as offensive coordinator of the Patriots, replaces Gary Kubiak.

Darrel Bevell for HC and call the plays. Musgrave has to go. Maybe the ol' gunslinger for OC-QB coach. Ponder and Freeman battle for #1. draft a QB in 3-4 rounds. If Monte Kiffen wants to coach yet and the Cowboys let him go- bring him back to run the Defense. Dan Quinn looks like a quality younger guy too. If they can't get those guys, Bill Cowher or Chucky could be the BAD Ace-in-the hole motivator this team really needs

You do realize that he was the OC for the legendary Kick A$$ Offense don't you?

And you want to see him bring it back? confused

Yup.....Lovie is now the Bucs coach. Everyone is so high on Bevell, but I hope they don't give him more than a glance. The OC from Denver isnt real high on my list either. He has Manning, whom I am sure runs about 99% of the offense the way he wants to. You could put me in the OC position in Denver and they would be just as good. Del Rio I like. He did a good job in Jacksonville, considering he had absolutely no talent on that team. Has ties to the Vikings already. Gruden from the Bengals is another guy that I hope they look at hard. He developed Dalton into a great NFL QB so he can work with whomever the Vikings take in the draft.

I'm sure that the current Vikings OC and DC will be shown the door once a new coach is hired and he wants to bring in his own staff.

Old coaches like Gruden and Cowher would never even think about the Vikings job. They would want total control over the players/personnel and with Tricky Ricky still calling those shots it just aint gonna happen.