• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Cool Cats 2014***Cancelled***

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• Rick G

• harvey lee

• Horseshoe_Don

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Gathering as much information as I can and it still doesn't look good for Saturday. Travel will be difficult at best and some may end up spending more time digging, pushing and pulling than fishing. We are not canceling the event but will be rescheduling it instead. Please mark your calendars for 3/1/14 same location and time.

Hopefully everyone can work the date change into their schedule.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Good call better conditions and days ahead doesn't pay to press safety issues etc. It will be alot more fun hopefully weather wise and travel.later on!

Could be worse in march the way this winter is going. The bite will be worse for sure. I have seen trucks going to and from the meth area all day.

Don,

Not all of our folks have the gear to go 4 wheeling through this stuff. Can it be done... sure. But best bring a shovel and tow strap. Would love to wait and see if conditions improve but we have to give folks some lead time. For a gathering like this felt it was best to wait for better conditions. Obviously there are no guarantees it will be better travel conditions by then by that's not in my control.

We'll catch fish. The first Saturday in March was the traditional Cool Cats weekend until recently. In all but one we had pretty good fishing.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

might be a few that will cooperate if Rick G hasn't given them all sore lips ! grin

That sucks that you guys had to postpone til March......except for me. I have always wanted to make one of these and it's never worked out. But 3-1 I can probably do. If I can make it I would go there on Friday and stay overnight and hope to meet you guys the next day. If I can I'll bring a V-plow to plow a spot for myself and I could pop a few spots for others if they need it. Hoping that the plan comes together. Good luck

Glad you'll be able to make it Don.

Hopefully this winter lets up a little bit.

Good call, Borch! By March first the days will be a little longer and it might even be a little warmer smile

Most of us likely could have made it out there, but if even one person got stuck and buried in the deep snow I would have felt bad. Not everyone has 4wd or a snowmobile.

Don, the cats might mot be over around the meth hole at that time, but that spot we got all those crappies at last ice also has cats during late ice... we will figure it out wink

See you all 3/1/14 grin

The bite may slow down by then but I know you can still find cats in that deep hole and others in May.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I thought this was about eating and socializing... we gonna fish too ?? laugh

I thought this was about eating and socializing... we gonna fish too ?? laugh

I never told the kiddo about eating i just askd wanta go pull cats threw the ice and he lit up said yea.

so it looks like it was rescheduled, Im assuming in hopes that more people will be able to make it out with non 4x4 vehicles? Ive been trying to read all over the site here and some people are making it out, Think we might still try and go this weekend as i cannot do it on the reschedule date

Ugh, you've chosen the one weekend, Borch, that I won't be around all winter. Y'all have fun without me. smile

Found some crazy cheap flights to Ireland and Scotland. Not exactly tourist season over there, so airfare + hotel is actually cheaper than an equivalent stay at Upper Red.

Sorry Stick. Wish it would have worked out for you.

Hope you have a great trip though.

• 3 weeks later...

Its looking like Feb 1st might have been a better date. There is like no traffic out there anymore. I will be able to make it in any weather by snowmobile though.

I went with the information I had at the time. The conditions would have severely limited those who could have attended back then so took a chance on pushing it back knowing that things could improve or get worse.

Last I heard there's another batch of snow tonight/tomorrow so it doesn't look like it's going to improve anytime soon.

It's been a tough winter for sure...

You made the correct decision Borch, noone has a crystal ball. The snow on the lake for the original day would have caused many issue's for many and I am sure many would not have come due to the snow issue's. Sometimes it is not meant to be.

All one can do is hope for better wether but that seem's to be a tough one this winter.

Just got off the lake after the last 2 days and I got stuck bad. Glad I had a spade along as the crushed snow was so hard, I could not get it with a snow shovel. It's getting rough out on the lakes, made my last trip with the wheelhouse this winter, back to a chair or the portable for the late ice bite.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

I was one of the guys who advised Borch to postpone that weekend and reschedule and Im glad he did. Conditions weren't real good at the time snow was deep travel was 4x4 only and temps were brutal. A good call was made to try and reschedule and Like Borch safety was a big concern of mine. Why risk it and have something happen to someone over some fish. Yah a few of us diehards could of made it but what about little ones familys or people without idea equipment etc. This site is about having fun and I for one would rather not have a cool cats rather than put anyone in risk of danger. Who knew mother nature would throw this at us hopefully things settle down here and it will happen if not we will get a chance next year! Hats off to Borch for making the right call at the time!

Well said IceHawk. I was the other one who advised Borch on the situation we had at that time,trust me,it wasn't an easy call for him to make.... I know 100% he made the right choice wink

I am assuming that Cool Cats will not happen this year. With the extra 3-6 inches today and then the blowing and drifting with no melt in the forecast before March 1st. Tough year.

Sadly I think you are probably right Don. I've already have nearly 6" at my place.