• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

HSO Cool Cats 2014***Cancelled***

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Host: Borch

When is the event

Sat March 1st 2014 7:30 am(Date change due to poor travel conditions).

What will we be catching?

Channel Catfish with an occasional Walleye,Crappie and Rock Bass mixed in. Cat fishing through the ice has become very popular and the Horseshoe chain has become the place to be to do it.

Where is the event?

Cool Cats will be on the Horseshoe Chain of Lakes located near Richmond/Cold Spring MN. Roughly 1.5 hrs Northwest of the Twin Cites. From 94 take 23 west to Richmond and then take 22 south to the lake.

We will be fishing the Methane or "Meth" hole. There are two popular points of access. The best one to use for vehicles is the winter access. Please monitor this thread closer to the event to confirm current ice conditions.

coolcats.jpg

What should I bring?

First and foremost, a big smile, because you will be using it a lot smile

Typically we use basic walleye gear for catching the cats. We will set up one pole with an Venom bobber or equivalent and a glow red teardrop with the other pole rigged with a jigging spoon/minnow head. Lindy 1/16 oz Rattlin Flyer in glow red is favorite among the catters.

A spring bobber has proven to be helpful for the light bite days.

Click Chain Cat Report & Techniques for current reports and techniques.

Also as in years past, we will be having a potluck at noon, so bring along a favorite food item to share. Hopefully we can work out frying up some catfish as well.

Bring along the whole family and stay for a couple hours or stay all day.

We will get a bunch of holes punched for those that don't have an auger. If you need some help getting set up just ask.

Click here for a recap of last year's Cool Cats Event

Hope to see you all there!

Copy courtesy of dtro. Thanks Darren.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Borch

• Rick G

• harvey lee

• Horseshoe_Don

I am going to be there. Gonna try and get the wife out as well. Be warned she rarely fishes but when she does she always catches the biggest fish..

Should be a great time. Seems like someone in the group always gets on fish and then it's game on!

It's always fun to spent time face to face with some of the great folks who spend time connecting on HSO.

I'll try to bring some friends, family and I up to have fun. Never caught a cat through the ice, and I'd like to give it a go.

I think I'll finally be able to make it this year!

But...do you think there will be enough ice to drive on by then?!?!? smile

I think I'll finally be able to make it this year!

But...do you think there will be enough ice to drive on by then?!?!? smile

Might need an extension. wink

Can't miss this one. If you need anything Borch let me know. If you would like for me to bring along my larger cutting board for cleaning fish on the tailgate, just let me know.

Bringing and wearing my ice cleats this year, that fall last year took 7.5 months to heal up in the shoulder after alot of PT.

If I bring a wheel house, is the winetr access my only option for coming onto the lake, kinda steep there. Wondering how pulling a house back up the access goes?

I was out there last weekend with my 16' wheelhouse. No problem at all getting on or off the winter access with it.

Thanks Borch, I'll try to be there again but my wife's family is also planning something that weekend so I have to sort out things with them...

might have try and make it I know my mom has a camper right off 22 and they catch cats during the summer and say they are nasty and just throw them back or take them and throw them in the gut bucket at the resort but I have always wanted to try a cat out of there and see for my self how they taste

or take them and throw them in the gut bucket at the resort

This is from the DNR's web page, 2013 Minnesota Statutes

Wanton waste (destruction)

Wild Animals

97A.031 WANTON WASTE.

Unless expressly allowed, a person may not wantonly waste or destroy a usable part of a protected wild animal

You got me Donny smile but incase your serious, yes, that statute still does apply to fish as well.

Rough fish or game fish, it's all the same, either throw it back alive or use it, don't just kill for the sake of blood lust, or because you deem something not worthy of living 2c

Don, shouldn't you be on the lake??? grin

I had to go to my other house in bloomington for a few days. The animals were not biting for me yesterday so I thought I would let it warm up.

Don

I have that weekend off i could bring some goose\duck chilie. Are the cats still bitting around this time or do they get lockd lips?

Are the cats still bitting around this time or do they get lockd lips?

The cats should be biting just fine. See ya' out there.

I have that weekend off i could bring some goose\duck chilie. Are the cats still bitting around this time or do they get lockd lips?

They are not biting as good as they do around the first part of December, but you can get into them pretty good if you do a little work.

At last years event the bite started off slow, but a big school was found in the area, and lots of fish were caught smile I think good old Tom S got big one for the day and ended up with honors smirk fun time, that's for sure!

smile I think good old Tom S got big one for the day and ended up with honors smirk fun time, that's for sure!

shocked Yes, you are correct sir. laugh Had to be a dumb one to bite my line Rick smile