• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Final Game at the Dome

toughguy

I will be going to the final game Sunday. Lets face it the place is as basic and bland as can be but I grew up going to games (mostly Twins games) there and a part of me will miss it. I know I will take one last long look at the roof as I get to the top of the stairs and head for the door. I was there for Game 1 in 1991, 2 Twins division clinching wins, and Favre's first game against the Packers in purple.. Game 1 has to be my favorite. What are your best Metrodome memories***?

***I know some of you can't help yourselves but please keep the sarcastic comments and new stadium funding debate out of this thread.

For me....my best memory was playing baseball in the dome as a college kid. Worst memory... Having my wife go to get a hot dog with my wallet and she was pick pocketed. It is still fun to give her a bad time about that. Did not see much of that game as security let us use the offices to call all the credit card companies etc....

First Twins game as a kid... The field/roof/environment is overwhelming and awesome for a youngster walking in for the first time. I am in the vast, vast minority, but I liked watching ball games at the dome.

Game 162 of the 2006 season was definitely one of my favorite dome-memories. We had just beat Chicago, but needed help in the form of KC beating Detroit to ensure we took the central division title.

After the twins game was done, they put the KC/DET game on the big screen, and a few thousand of us stayed and watched as KC ended up winning the game. Twins players came back out for a curtain call of sorts. That was a Fun experience.

Hard to beat "we'll see ya tomorrow night" though... I was living in VA then so wasn't able to attend THAT game. Everyone in my little hometown was a braves fan except me and one other kid who was from Marshall, so we had a bit of fun rubbin it in.

I'll be at the game sunday... not a huge fan of the dome as a sports arena, but it sure has been the center of a lot of my childhood memories, visiting the fam over summers while living in VA, we'd spend a lot of time at twins games, it was something I looked forward to every year. Caught my first baseball game there (twins vs Cleveland), first football game (vikes vs saints), first NBA game (wolves vs golden state), saw my HS buddy kick the winning FG there the last time the Gophers beat WI...

Lot of memories there. It'll be nice to have a new state of the art place to play though, hopefully it can attract a super bowl or somethin like that.

Hard to beat "we'll see ya tomorrow night" though... I was living in VA then so wasn't able to attend THAT game.

I was in the Navy then. Ship was ported out of Norfolk but I was in Spain. I got a letter from my dad aboot a week after the game, and i freaked out.

I'm a product of the Met, but I remember the first day I brought my 2 young boys to the dome to watch a Twins game. I'm fine going to my grave remembering the look on their faces when they saw the field. They're fans of Dome Dogs but I'm a regular peanuts and beer kind of guy.

My 2 sons and myself went to autograph day in 2001. My oldest was a big Torii Hunter fan and would never shut up about him, until he stood next to him to get his autograph. For some reason he was speechless. That same day my youngest boy got Tom Prince's autograph.......then started spewing off, to Tom, all of his career stats. Tom looks at him and says," Hey bud, do you play ball?" Youngest boy says, "Heck yeah." To which Tom askes him iffin he wants to play a game of catch. The kid looks at me with this "Is it ok dad?" kind of look. Tom and I winked at each other and off they went on the plaza and did a catch for aboot 5 minutes. Priceless.

My favorite memory of the Dome, was that time the Vikings won the Championship game, and went to the Super Bowl.

or maybe it was a dream, never mind.

I got to play 2 football games at the dome in high school. Was a cool experience. It was the 1st time I had ever ran on turf before…it was like my legs were moving faster than I could control them!

Screen-Shot-2013-12-29-at-2.44.51-PM.png

Is that Bob Barker standing on the right side of that sign?? And thank you Gary Anderson and fatdumb Denny Green for keeping us out of the Superbowl.

I'll miss having a facility that was built with the approval of the voters; that was funded largely by those who would directly benefit from its existence; and that provided year around (multi-functional) revenue for it's maintenance and overhead. I think a concert by the band "Cheap Trick" should be the commemorative event for the new playpen.