• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

question on boots

Ryan_V

Need some opinions. I got a very nice pair of boots for christmas. I wore my last pair out. I am a very avid pheasant hunter from the beginning of the season until the end. I received a pair of Irish Setter Gunflint 1000 gram boots. I'm concerned that this is way to warm of a boot for upland hunting. I have never bought any insulated boots before because I didn't think it was needed for bird hunting, because I'm constantly on the move and have never had cold feet. What do you guys think??? Are these too much boot for what I need??? I'm very grateful, I know these are very high quality and expensive boots, but I'm afraid come next october my feet might melt off!!! I'm not a deer hunter any longer, so all I need are boots for pheasant hunting. Thanks for your opinions and advice!!! Hope you all had a good holiday and santa was good to you all!!!

I think your intuition is right, those 1000 gram boots will be too hot for the early season. I have a couple pair, one uninsulated and the other ones 1000 gram boots, I don't wear the heavy ones bird hunting until it gets colder than 15 degrees.

I've never worn insulated boots for bird hunting. I've simply used varying levels/types of thermal socks for the insulation I needed when it got cold. You could use those boots for specialty situations. If the boots are heavy though, I would go in a different direction. Heavy boots are a buzzkill.

I know everyones feet are different, but I wore a pair of uninsulated boots with Smartwool socks on a late season rooster hunt in ND this year with temps between -10 and -21. Never got cold feet.

My vote is if you are a 1 pair of boots guy, trade them in. Not sure how much my vote counts though.....??? grin

I vote for 2 pairs uninsulated for warm days and either roomier uninsulated boots or up to 400 gram insulation. I picked up a nice pair of setters 400 grams last spring. I used to never use insulated boots. However, I discovered this year when it's below about 30 degrees very little snow melts on the outside of my boots keeping the leather dryer and the boots lighter than my non insulated boots in the same conditions. I don't hardly use 1000 grams ice fishing. Those boots would too wet with sweat on my feet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a leather pair of rocky boots that have 800 grams of insulation....I used these in iowa on pheasant hunting trips and I think they are great...I think the leather boots are tougher than the fabric style boots. I have another pair like those that I hunt grouse in just because they are lighter...I always wear the leather when walking through corn stubble etc. they are good and warm also......hope this helps