• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MN Wolf

HunterLee

Called and shot my wolf last Friday evening, been waiting forever to put one of these guys down.

Called him in after about 40 min, was overlooking a big swamp/ woods but sneaky guy came from behind me out of another block of woods a half mile across a bean stubble.

Didn't see him until he was about 200yds and started to sniff my walk-in trail. He caught me moving an bugged out and connected on my second shot at about 300yds with my 243.

DSCN0145_zps1c031d0d.jpg

DSCN0150_zps2e00316b.jpg

DSCN0144_zpsba9914f9.jpg

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Thanks! Theres a few more Moose calves saved next spring! wink

Well doubt it will have any affect on moose as we rarely see any, and I shot this in Norman County, which is far from wolf country, and there are a fair amount more, as we have seen 3 others and seen tracks from at least another 6-8.

WTG HunterLee! I'm curious- was that shot in our neck of the woods?

Yep roughly straight north of where you hunt by that big swamp. We did see one about 2 miles north also, but he gave us the slip while we got permission to go after him.

Seen 4 with the one I shot all in the general area and 10 different tracks from different wolves all in our county.

Yep roughly straight north of where you hunt by that big swamp. We did see one about 2 miles north also, but he gave us the slip while we got permission to go after him.

Seen 4 with the one I shot all in the general area and 10 different tracks from different wolves all in our county.

They're definitely spreading to the west. I've heard unconfirmed reports of some spotted even further west along the Red. I see an archery wolf hunt story in Scoot's future.

I shot mine about 25 miles east of the Red. I also have people that I trust tell me about a pair here and there that are on the red.

It is farm country for the most part, but we have seen them out in the middle of no where as farm as woods, trees or anything for that matter, I assume they are traveling or searching for a new home.

There needs to be an area that is considered no quota where the season follows the other wolf season, but has no quota. Heck there was one shot west of the red a good ways in ND a couple years ago.

I believe it. I know of two confirmed sightings within a mile of my place and both were from people who know what they're talking about.

Congrats again- very cool!

I see an archery wolf hunt story in Scoot's future.

I haven't looked into the details of this at all, but there have been some discussions on the topic. Does anyone know if it's legal to shoot one with a bow (obviously, provided I drew the tag)? Even if I pulled the tag, it'd certainly be a very low likelihood of success. However, it'd be fun tryin'!

Yes Scoot,DO IT. You would probably be the first person to shoot a wolf in Minnesota with archery equipment in over 70 years

Yes Scoot,DO IT. You would probably be the first person to shoot a wolf in Minnesota with archery equipment in over 70 years

...or, I'd be the next person to fail to shoot a wolf in MN! LOL It'd be fun trying, that's for sure.

Very cool, Black Bear. Was he specifically targetting a wolf or was he out deer hunting, had a wolf tag in his pocket, and opportunity knocked? Not that it matters one bit- very cool accomplishment! I'm just curious...

Very nice, been hearing of several wolf sightings in Douglas County lately north of Alexandria, prime wolf country.

Very cool, Black Bear. Was he specifically targetting a wolf or was he out deer hunting, had a wolf tag in his pocket, and opportunity knocked? Not that it matters one bit- very cool accomplishment! I'm just curious...

Does anyone know if it's legal to bait them?

This is out of the regs:

Bait - Bait is allowed for the purposes of attracting a wolf to take by legal firearms, bow and arrow, or trapping. Note: The use of bait for wolf hunting or trapping is legal this year within applicable laws. However, the deposit of carcasses not associated with legal baiting or on public lands, or on private lands without the consent of the owner, constitutes litter. Also the Minnesota Board of Animal Health requires that carcasses from domestic animals must be disposed of as soon as possible after death, usually within 48 to 72 hours, by burial, composting, or incineration. The disposal or placement of livestock carcasses on public land constitutes litter. Use of live bait may constitute cruelty to animals.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

What?

If you can get a tag, and can even see a Wolf, and can even get it in to range. Just shoot the Dam thing and don't screw around with a Bow! laugh