• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

the lakes have about 2-4 inches of snow on them. I dont know about ice on blue .

I found 15-16" on South end of Blue on Friday night. few inches of snow. Only about 2" of white ice over about 14-15" of good ice.

Merry Christmas everyone. My grandaughters are home from an area in the country that has no ice fishing and I want to take them out for a while somewhere over the next few days but my issue is that it is not going to be early in the morning or evenings. So that leads to the question of do the fish bite during the day on Blue or if anyyone would care to share a lake that we can get some fish on between 9 and 1 in the afternoon?

Thanks much

Eastsider

Agreed the gills should bite and perch. However you can also catch crappies during the day out there. If ya put down a sucker minnow on tip up or under a float you can catch pike.

If you looking for just catching fish Little Elk has a great number of gills and crappies. You will do a lot of sorting.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I hit up Blue for some panfish and dropped a shiner minnow down for pike or maybe a walleye. I first fished a spot that I have done well in the past in 13-11 feet of water. One gill got to try out the bump board I made. Lots of tiny perch on the camera. I fished this spot from about 930 to noon. Hoping the gill and crappies would show up like normal, but they did not just school after school of tiny perch most to small to get my wax worm in their mouth. I moved farther south to the west edge of the big group of houses. In about 20 feet of water and caught a very small gill but had 2 other fish on the vex. So I dropped the camera down and they were more gills down there. However they scattered then my camera got hit by a very nice looking pike. He stayed around for a while. I dropped a shiner down and hoped it would hit that but nope it wanted my camera. I fished until about 330 pm. I caught some other gills and seen some crappies come through. I switched the shiner for a crappie minnow and little glow red jig from the local bait shop and caught 4 crappies about 9-11 inches. I seen one very nice walleye cruise by just as I was getting ready to leave. All fish were put back in the lake for someone else to catch. Good Luck and be safe with the extreme cold that is coming.

The first fish to hit my bump board but then I dropped my camera and broke the screen. When I got home I found out it still takes photos, but I can not see the photo when I take it.full-12169-41051-bumpboard1.jpg

Nice monstermoose, I to have that problem with my old camera. dropped in the boat and the screen quit working.

Great report monstermoose! There are not a ton of walleyes in Blue, but the ones that are there are good size. Same with the pike.

I made it. 4 inch PVC pipe. I did not see any larger pipe at the store I was at. One cap that made an even line across the to butt the ruler up to. My father in-law had all the glue and pipe holder. The total cost was 15 bucks for cap, pipe, and ruler. Made 2 of them one for me and one for father in-law.

Well I could see my jig on my camera good and it was 2 to 2 and half feet away. I could see other fish a little ways away as well.

On Friday I fished Blue Lake and did not do very well again. I caught a green sunfish which was about 5 inches long. Also caught a couple little perch. I fished hard popping holes and trying different places. I just could not find the gills or crappies. I did not use the camera out there on Friday. One of these days I will be on the right lake at the right time. Good Luck.

I'll be there tonight (Wednesday). Then to Green after Blue. How fars red? lol. Going for the assortment of colors. Really though, green then blue.

Red is about 4 hours but if the roads are good you can make in 3. I wish I had an area to focus on for you but your guess has to better than mine. Good Luck

I've been to red a lot, I was just getting funny with the lake names. There has to be a YELLOW lake and maybe even a PURPLE. This IS MN. Could be a Pink lake as well. lol

white lake as well.