• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Transporting a handgun through states

fishuhalik

I'll be going on a road trip tomorrow with my family to North Carolina & was wondering what I have to know the proper regs for transporting, mainly while going through Chicago. Does it have to be unloaded, mag out of the gun & in a case or can I just put it in a suitcase with a mag in, chamber empty. Also, I'll be taking about 350 rds with me. Anything special I need to know about transporting ammo?

I dunno the regs but jsut to be safe i was have it fully unloaded clip n all.

better safe then sorry ya know.

safe travels

Hard to know about all the laws in all the states and cities that you'll potentially drive through on your way. If I were you I'd just transport it fully unloaded and locked away in a case. I'd also transport the ammo separately just to be safe.

You must be planning on taking the route through the south side of Chicago if you're bringing 350 rounds. That should be sufficient as long as you drive through during day light, double it if you'll be there after dark. grin

My wife and I just got back from a road trip to Florida with handguns and we were able to carry the whole way except for Illinois. While in Illinois we cased the guns, put them in the very back of the vehicle and put the clips in a seperate case. We also put the ammo in a seperate backpack.

There are many websites that have the laws state by state because they do vary.

I'll be going on a road trip tomorrow with my family to North Carolina & was wondering what I have to know the proper regs for transporting, mainly while going through Chicago. Does it have to be unloaded, mag out of the gun & in a case or can I just put it in a suitcase with a mag in, chamber empty. Also, I'll be taking about 350 rds with me. Anything special I need to know about transporting ammo?

The few times I made the trip I skipped Chicago. Thought I was going to die on the tri-state toll road. Boxed in by trucks going 75 mph... right on my back bumper, and on either side. If anything had gone wrong they would have been picking me up with a scoop shovel and a putty knife.

Not much out of the way to go an alternate route. If you take I39 and I74 to indianapolis from Big Lake it is only 20 miles longer and you totally avoid Chicago.

If I were you, I'd plan my route of travel first, and then thoroughly research each states laws, and regulations. Put handgunlaws in your search engine, and you'll find a website that can help. Carry laws vary as far as concealed vs. not concealed, regs on different holsters and ways to carry, how you can carry in a vehicle, or out of the vehicle, from state to state. Know this stuff before you go, so you can avoid any issues on the way there, or going back home. Having copies of these regs/laws with you, is something you may want to consider.

NO Guns in your vehicle in chicago period, loaded or unloaded. That came from a firearms trainer I talked with. We talked about that same situation, he said go around.

NO Guns in your vehicle in chicago period, loaded or unloaded. That came from a firearms trainer I talked with. We talked about that same situation, he said go around.

I have looked online and talked to multiple instructors and I can not get a solid answer.

Personally I still go through Chicago because I beleive in the 2nd amendment. I am not saying its legal but I am willing to stand up for my rights.

As of July of this year, the guns laws have changed in the state of Illinois. Within the last 3 months, the city of Chicago has elected to step in line with the new state laws, and rewrite their gun ordinances. Travelers can travel through Chicago with their firearm(s) now, provided they have a permit to carry from their state of residence. Don't just take my word for it from this thread, doing a web search will give anyone the updated info. they need.

IMO you simply cannot know the answer to the question posed. A city or county could pass an ordinance that sets out specific requirements and that likely wouldn't turn up with a broad internet search. You would have to run every city and county you went through on your route. You probably can get a decent idea of state statutes but I think even that could be iffy.

Unloaded and in a case, probably in the trunk, and you are likely to be good to go.

What good is having your gun to protect you if it is unloaded, and cased in the trunk? Especially in Chicago? If you are planning on going through Chicago during daylight hours, just dont carry your gun into any stores, keep it in your car. If you are going though Chicago at night, bring back up. If you dont have a gun on you, you will be the only one. I know people in Chicago, after 7pm, either you are packin, or you are at home. Personally, I would drive around. There are only a few cities I avoid, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Miami, LA, and Portland.

What about this?

http://socialreader.com/me/content/z46DX?chid=4576&utm_content=win20131227-1969&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toppicks&utm_campaign=cl20131227&email=weyandt1234%40yahoo.com

Each of us must decide what is the best way to protect ourselves and our family in an increasingly lawless and violent world. If you believe that you are protecting yourself and your family by placing a handgun in a case and a trunk locked behind your car that is your responsibility and your judgement.

If you believe it is better to keep a handgun available and ready for use, even though it might not conform to local or national statutes, and risk the imposition of a small fine for doing so then that is also a judgment call you must make.

As with so many things in the history of this country......a man has got to do what he thinks is right.

In the hundreds of gun crime cases that I prosecuted I can only think of one where it was an average Joe who wasn't a crook. Traffic stop with a loaded pistol. One prosecutor wanted to give the guy a walk, they shared home towns. I argued that the time to deal with the issue was at sentencing, not about whether the guy should be charged.

For the average 'good guy' the chances of getting prosecuted are mostly tied to the risks of getting stopped for a traffic violation. Drive properly and you probably are OK.

But again, as for the original poster, I don't think you can predict what and where you are legal with a loaded gun inside the vehicle. The websites and maps that have been used in this thread give you a decent indication of what the state laws are but simply do not cover what local laws may be on the subject. The confusion outlined in the link I posted about Chicago points that out.

• 2 months later...

Illinois does not recognize any other state's permits. Travel there at your own risk.

full-127-43450-illinois.jpg

In general, I would avoid Illinois, as while they recently passed a carry law, there are many LEO's that do not buy into civilians carrying.

Illinois Carry Laws

Here are the guidelines for a firearm in a car:

What are the laws for carrying a firearm in an automobile in Illinois?

There is more than one way to legally transport a firearm. However, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, it is recommended all firearms be transported:

1.Unloaded,

2.Enclosed in a case and,

3.By persons who have a valid FOID card.

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:

•Unloaded, and

•Enclosed in a case, and

•Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Illinois allows residents of other states carry a concealed firearm in their vehicle if they are can legally carry a firearm in public under the laws of their state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law.

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

You must be planning on taking the route through the south side of Chicago if you're bringing 350 rounds. That should be sufficient as long as you drive through during day light, double it if you'll be there after dark. grin

That was great!!!