• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• monstermoose78

• M1dwestF1sh

• Gordie

• ThndrDkl

Went out on Green on Monday. fished several spots, everyone I spotted hundred of fish on the vexilar and couldn't get a bite. finally put my camera down and thousands of tiny perch. same story in every spot I fished. left at about 130 in the afternoon frustrated and went to the bar for some drinks and lunch. Is this lake an evening lake? sure didn't seem to be a daytime lake...

Your way to deep,think shallow

I looked for your set up, but didn't spot it. I was only on the lake for about an hour and a half. It was miserably cold and I didn't see any panfish.

actually the lake had very little snow and it was relatively easy to drive around. fishing for me was pretty tough. good luck

I'll be headed up to fish the lake soon. Last time I was up there I walked out, but I know the ice is thick enough for driving now.

Are there any areas that are more prone to thin ice than others or is it pretty uniform?

Thanks.

most everywhere I plugged a hole the ice was really uniform. I probably tried about 12 different spots. let me know how fishing went I think I might go out there on saturday.

most everywhere I plugged a hole the ice was really uniform. I probably tried about 12 different spots. let me know how fishing went I think I might go out there on saturday.

Thanks, yeah that's what I found as well.

Went out on NYE morning and fished until 2. Did alright, caught a couple dozen crappies in 27 FOW. I couldn't get them to bite for awhile but I was trying to finesse them into biting. Started jigging really aggressively which turned them on and got them to chase the jig which got them to bite. Size ranged from 8-11", all fish released.

Just got my latest list of updated lake surveys from DNR. Green was in 2012, and numbers look better for crappies and eyes. Might re-visit the Green drink, haven't fished it for a few years.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

No trouble getting around Bill unless we get a bunch of snow.

not bad at all for travel. I went out on Wednesday last week, and got to my spot on south end, and realized I didn't have the pin for my auger. I keep my head unit in the cab so it starts easier. It's the propane jiffy, and temps have been.....like 100 below lately. No fishing for me, yeah was a bitter ride home. till next time...

Well I fished Green last night until around 7pm. I was out with my father in-law and he out fished me. First time for everything I guess. We fish in 25-26 feet of water and caught one crappie that was around 11 inches long. Seen a few on the Vexs but would not bite. We fished plastics, waxies. minnows, spoons, and chubby darters. The fish came off a red glow custom colored jig with a minnow. It was a nice night to be fishing warm and very little wind. The fish were coming in on the bottom and would come up to the baits. Never seen so many houses on Green Lake. Good Luck

We were out there Saturday morning and it was the same story. 25' with lots of lookers and no takers. One 8" perch to show for it. Gave up after about 4 hours.

Thinkin of hitting my eye spot on Blue on Wednesday evening, but gonna swing over to green after for some late crappies. figure late wednesday (9pm ish) should be quiet on the lake. I seem to get the best action on Green around 10-midnight over the last few winters that I fished it. That is....when they're not extremely tight lipped. lol.

Hit Green on sat. fished from about 1145-330. had crappies come in and out all day and pick up right before i had to head out. was in a bout 22' of water using small sized crappie minnows. was out away from the crowed and sized ranged from 8"-10.5" had a larger one to the top of the hole and got twisted up with my vex and got off..went to same area sunday, marked some fish from bottom to about 6' off the bottom and they wouldn't bite on minnows. had a few small perch come and hit, but no crappies. not one perch was caught on sat. was a great weekend to get out. sunday was a busy day for the lake.

Marshall I think you were fishing near me. I saw a sunfish and a lot of bass. Ended up spearing one 25 inch pike.

Thinking about heading out to Green this saturday, can anyone give me an update with the conditions. I have an envoy that doesn't exactly have the best clearance, so I am wondering if I will have travel issues. Thanks and good luck on this ice!

If you stay on the trails created buy others you should do alright, but it gets pretty thick and deep once you get off of those trails.

• 2 weeks later...

Man it's been a very colddd winter! I was out(Sat)Feb 1st and the ice was already around 30 inches. I have about 3-4 inches more and the auger won't make it through. I fiqure a good deal of fishing pressure will decline in about a week or so when the ice is beyond the reach of most augers. Yes, we can use a chisel or buy an extention, but for many they won't go anymore. I did have some success on Saturday, but If I had better luck I would have landed more fish. I did manage 5 nice crappies up the hole.

I am going back to using a sunflower heater like I did for years. I'm tired of those portable heaters always shutting off, they are so finicky or the tank quick (small 1 Lb)frosty and shuts off. Sunflower style heaters were always reliable and put out a lot more heat. I've never been impressed with the Little buddy or similar heaters. Sunflower heaters are what is needed on colder days below about(15 degrees) in these flip-over style portables. The fact that your on the ice ( no floor) in these flip-overs and that they are drafty in general, doesn't bode well in 5-10 degree weather. Any thoughts?

I just shovel out the spot for my sled on my flip over. That way it seems to help keep the trap tighter to the ice or snow. Also if you have a thermal shelter will make a huge difference for warmth. My fish house is old and does not hold the heat as well as it once did. My plans are to get a new thermal fish house before next winter.

I am not a fan of banking my fish trap but that helps keep the wind from blowing under. I have also seen guys with sand filled small tubes that they lay on the skirt to hold it down tight to the ice. I use the heat/cooker mr. heater and normally keep it on low, less it is really cold. It is cheaper to run a 20 pound tank. I know it is a bugger to haul sometimes, but I got sick of buying them little pounders for 3 to 6 bucks a pop.

Hope this helps alumacraftguy

I use the heat/cooker mr. heater and normally keep it on low, less it is really cold.

monstermoose78, would that be this one?[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I was thinking about getting this to replace my broken Buddy Portable. I like that it can be set to three different output settings with 15,000 BTUs at MAX but am a little concerned about durability (and those two little wires getting snagged up) so I'm giving myself a week to think about it.

If that's the one you use, let us know how you like it.. And sorry about the highjacking of this thread.

That is what I use. I like to be able to cook a little something for the nephews or myself from time to time. I bring a small pot and some brats or hot dogs. I have had to replace the thermal coupler twice over 6 years once was, because I dropped it. I know some do not like them but it works great from me.

Any tips where to start and what to try for walleyed on this lake? Heard its good but before I go drill across the lake and jig a spoon everywhere I was wondering if anybody has some advise.

Well I would start with steep breaks, humps, bumps, points, and weed lines. You could try the main basin where I know some walleyes are being picked up by crappie fisher people. The west and south shores seem to be the normal walleye fishing areas. If you put in your time you can get a few Green Lake walleyes.

Well some of the guys who spear are seeing some crappies in the shallows, but for the most part people are fishing the crappies in the main basin area. The crappies run 9-11 inches for keepers and once and awhile you will get bigger one. Please remember to practice selective harvest. I know everyone wants a fish fry, but if we can keep some of the smaller fish to eat it helps balance out the system. I have heard glow blue is been better than glow red or glow green. I have not been out to Green for about 2 weeks. Good Luck.

I agree. I'm more than happy if I bring home 4 10" crappies. Ill give green a try this Saturday and post how I do. Can a 4x4 truck make it out to the basin do you think?