• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Breech plug stuck

musky5555

The breech plug is seized tight, and won't budge on my CVA Kodiak. I either rounded the edges of the plug, wrench, or both trying to pry on it. Any suggestions how to get that SOB out?

Step 1 - buy another breech plug.

Step 2 - get a drill and easy out.

Seriously though it might come to that. Don't wrench on it any more with that same wrench.

You could try some penetrating lube down the muzzle so it gets into the threads and apply some heat, then try a tighter fitting removal tool. Just don't force what isn't working any more!

Find some really good penetrating oil and figure out a way to soak it for a day or two then try it. use heat as a last resort because of the temper in the metal. but it may come to that and like wander said you may have to get a drill and drill it out then use a ez out to remove this may be the simplest way to do it.

You will need a big ez out.

You may want to check with a gunsmith like Keelers gunsmithing. I know he has some big ez-outs and could get it removed.

I believe I would take it to a gun smith, no, not cheap but he would have the tools and have more than likely seen this issue before.

I always use bore butter on mine and it sure helps getting it out but I clean it after every use so probably would not have too.

The breech plug is seized tight, and won't budge on my CVA Kodiak. I either rounded the edges of the plug, wrench, or both trying to pry on it. Any suggestions how to get that SOB out?

If your breach plug is not destroyed, try putting a "plug" in the nipple - a round tooth pick works good. Tip your barrel up and pour some very hot water down the barrel. Let sit for several minutes. The hot water will loosen the powder residue in the threads. Dump the water out and pour a little penetrating oil down the barrel. Then try to remove the plug with a six point socket or box end wrench. Not a sure fix but it does work.

i usually use a dab of antiseize on my breech plug. The hot water idea is good, but got to make sure you get some oil in it quick so the rust does not set in. worse case i would take it to a gun smith. Let them ensure that it is safe to use.

Thanks for all the good info. I had already tried the hot water thing prior to posting this. I think I'll try letting some WD-40 soak in for a while and give it another try. If not, I think I'll take it in to the gunsmith.

I always clean my muzzleloader after a day of shooting, and thought I used enough breech plug grease. Maybe I'll try the bore butter or anti-seize on it from now on.

It's easy to overdo the grease and that can cause the issue.

I use TC grease and at first, applied it liberally but after a session at the shooting range my plug stuck too. I was able to wrench it out but it was tough. I then read the tube and it said to just coat the threads and then wipe them - the light film was all that was needed. What I saw when I got it out was caked on burned grease.

Plus I believe I over tightened the plug when I put it in. Mine is the speed plug that only requires finger tight seating. At first I snugged it up with the flat wrench provided.

Lessons learned. I haven't had a problem since making the corrections.

That's interesting. When it was hard to get out in the past, I figured I didn't have enough grease on the plug, and have since applied it quite liberally. Well, it's soaking in WD-40 right now...

I cake my breach plugs with the black breach plug grease that comes out of the chapstick type container. I also don't go beyond hand tight.

Speaking of bore butter. It would be nice if you could actually squeeze some out of the tube when it's cold. If you use tight loading bullets like i do, put some bore butter in a reload container and keep that with you in your hunting vest. Peel off your reload container cap and put some BB on your finger and apply to bullet for any 2nd shot.

Truth I get the bore butter in the little canister and take a spoonful out and melt it in the microwave then soak a bunch of patches with it. I put them in a small zip lock and carry them with me not only for a final wipe down the barrel after the range but you can also wipe down the sabots with it. Might have to save one of the kids Styrdex containers for future use.

I use bore butter only on my breech plug and it has never stuck.

Musky5555 I would try and use something other than wd-40 as that is not a guns friend at all. it can leave to much kerosene type residue and that will also cause problems down the trail. Since you already are using it make sure that you clean it really good with a degreaser and boiling water to avoid problems down the trail. 2c

Truth I get the bore butter in the little canister and take a spoonful out and melt it in the microwave then soak a bunch of patches with it. I put them in a small zip lock and carry them with me not only for a final wipe down the barrel after the range but you can also wipe down the sabots with it. Might have to save one of the kids Styrdex containers for future use.

That's a great idea. Everyone else, forget about my tip haha I'm switching to gordie's method.

When I put bore butter on my breech plug, all I do is wipe a fine film on the plug and I do not overtighten it at all. No issues at all removing the plug when I clean the gun.

I use the bore butter that comes in a squeeze type tube and that works fine, does not take but a dab and I run it around the threads and then wipe the threads down a small amount so I do not leave too much on the threads. So far, it has been great.

I was doing some research on stuck breech plugs and found alot of goood info on this online. Do a google search and you will find many suggestions on how to unstick it.

Seem's many use Kroll to soak to free the plug.

I also saw on one website something about a recall for CVA ML and I believe the years were 96 and 97 if you ml falls into that date range for having these issues. Might be worth checking out if your gun is in that date range.

Also read that it seem's many use teflon tape on the threads of thier breech plug.

Lot's of good info in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I let WD40 penetrate into it for several days, and used an 11mm socket wrench and a vice to get it out. It wasn't easy, but it came out.