• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

That 4.5 inches is beeter ice than we have had last 4 years,safer than the 6 inches of half slush everyone was driveing on years prior

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt C

• Rubber Ducky

• Mike Dumas

• troutman72

Howdy folks. I recently moved to Mankato from Colorado and just joined the forum yesterday. Having used other forums in Colorado, I find this one a little more difficult to navigate. This probably isn't the proper place for me to post my question so I apologize in advance.

I just started ice fishing a few years ago (in Colorado). Therefore, I have A LOT to learn about ice fishing. What better place to learn than Minnesota? I'm no amateur when it comes to fishing but ice fishing is a different story. I'm looking for seasoned ice fishing vets willing to teach me a thing or two. I'm thinking about venturing out on Friday. I have an FL-18 vex, rods and a shelter. Plan to buy an auger soon. If you're interested in fishing hit me up. My e-mail is my handle (solocamzman) at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

Use caution if you go out. The thickest ice I found going out of the Hoy's access on French was 3-1/2". There are several areas where the ice pulled apart and is extremely thin! With that said, it looks like we are going to have a long & favorable season this year!

One thing to be sure don't rush it and pay attention to the ice. These lakes have springs so just because there is 8 inches of ice in one spot does not mean it is safe five feet away. Just cuz someone is driving out does not mean you should.

And finally every year for the last 25 years I have lived here 'someone' tries to drive through 'the narrows' on Madison or Washington. Don't be that guy. LOL

I was out this afternoon on a small 80 acre lake with a max depth of about 26 feet. The ice was between 4 and 5 inches everywhere we checked. We were still very cautious but felt more secure the longer we were out there. Good Luck everyone.

Howdy folks. I recently moved to Mankato from Colorado and just joined the forum yesterday. Having used other forums in Colorado, I find this one a little more difficult to navigate. This probably isn't the proper place for me to post my question so I apologize in advance.

I just started ice fishing a few years ago (in Colorado). Therefore, I have A LOT to learn about ice fishing. What better place to learn than Minnesota? I'm no amateur when it comes to fishing but ice fishing is a different story. I'm looking for seasoned ice fishing vets willing to teach me a thing or two. I'm thinking about venturing out on Friday. I have an FL-18 vex, rods and a shelter. Plan to buy an auger soon. If you're interested in fishing hit me up. My e-mail is my handle (solocamzman) at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

Welcome to HSO. Lot's of members here more than willing to help out with any questions you have for ice fishing in this area. Just ask and many will answer you questions.

Be safe out there. Was walking off the ice on a local lake with approx. 5 inches of ice. It was dark, walking with a headlamp, the same route back to the landing. I took a step that felt really soft, thankfully the next was solid and I had spikes on. A triangle of ice had broke loose, probable 10 foot wide and where I stepped was about 2 foot wide, and it sunk as I stepped on it. Scared the dump out of me. Thankfully it was pretty shallow there.

Thanks for the info guys. I don't plan to drive out on the ice so I won't be "that guy". I know all about springs. I fell through the ice a few years back. The lake had 12 inches of solid ice so I didn't think to watch where I was going (maybe it was the booze ha ha). Next thing I know I'm chest deep in water. Glad it was only chest deep. I've been super cautious ever since.

I'll probably wait til this arctic air mass settles in for a few days before I venture out. Will give me time to buy an auger. Got my thermal clam all put together today. Super excited to use it. I've never owned a flip over before. Once again, if anyone wants to fish, hit me up. I'm still down to fish Friday if someone doesn't mind sharing an auger (I'll supply the beer).

solocamzman,

Ill be heading out Friday at 1pm. If you would like to hook up send me a pm Ill give you my number! I fished all last week the bite is off the hook right now!

This weather is already reminding me of last year. Very cold for a week and then warms up and rains. Then back to a very cold stretch.

You won't catch me on the ice until after this weekend. The bite has been hot. But the ice is pretty soft and sketchy right now.

Was out on lake Washington in mud bay today before the rain came, saw 5.5-6 everywhere I drilled. Didn't venture around to much.

Was on Washington today did well fished in 9-18 f.o.w had 3-4 inches of ice.

Solo cam zman you have a p.m waiting.

Use caution if you go out. The thickest ice I found going out of the Hoy's access on French was 3-1/2". There are several areas where the ice pulled apart and is extremely thin! With that said, it looks like we are going to have a long & favorable season this year!

Went out from DNR access Sunday. 5 inches in shallows to 4 out to 17 FOW. North end...ending at almost Hoys was open a week ago. The south has been locked up for a few weeks.

Welcome to HSO and Minnesota! We will be having a get-to-gether the first weekend in January. All are welcome!

Always looking for a fishin partner! I'll send you a PM next time I head twards Kato to fish!

People are pretty friendly here for the most part and most would drill you a hole if you ask them i knowI would so don't be afraid to drag your house out without a auger

Sounds like you have plenty of experience so that is good as no one here wants to ever here news of a ice fisherman down.

I know I will wait for a bit more cold weather before I go out. Simply because I do not have early ice or late ice experience and I do not care to take the risks required to get it. Best of luck !

ABSOLUTLY, Hooky hit it on the head there, if i ever see anyone struggling with thier holes ie hand auger, i always volunteer my services. It makes everyones day much easier.

was a wheeler on shoe yesterday way out in the middle. i walked out and only got 4.5 inches of ice wherever i punched a hole with the spud bar.

risky with that much ice in my opinion

they drove off safe.

will be going out there this morrning to try my luck be in a blue trap 2 with a chisel to punch my holes stop and say hey if your out there.

You and I do not live too far from each other. Maybe I should hit you up a PM if I am headed your way, sir, one of those ice fishing season days. Happy ice fishing, sir! smile

Boy, I would be more than careful after the rain most of yesterday at least in my area. I went out muzzleloader hunting by a smaller lake and the ice was covered with water and with the temps above freezing almost all day yeaterday, I am sure some lakes lost some ice and got weaker.

Now with snow coming, for me, it will delay my ice fishing by at least another week if we can get some sustained cooler temps.

The small amount of rain we've had does not have me spooked at this point. I only hope we don't get much snow because that would have the potential to mess things up. Caution is always advised of course. GLTA

I believe it was last year where the rain on early ice turned all those 8 inch holes into death traps. All that rain on the ice funnels into the holes people have drilled and erodes the ice and enlarges the holes. When it refreezes the ice can be pretty thin over old holes.

As the ice gets better be careful walking into areas you know gave been fished before the rain fell.

I would rather be safe than wet. It was warm at the first of the week and then rain and now wet snow. The fish will still be there after the next cold dhot to make sure the ice is safer.

Better safe than sorry at least for me.

You are correct Hookey, the ice when this thin can erode very fast and it has in the past.

solocamzman,

Ill be heading out Friday at 1pm. If you would like to hook up send me a pm Ill give you my number! I fished all last week the bite is off the hook right now!

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you're still interested in going Friday?

Does anyone have any current ice status on the Faribault lakes. This warm up put a damper on things but it looks like after the weekend we should be good to go again.

A buddy was out today he said the ice looks good. He didn't see any major water on the ice. Old holes were frozen over.

Ill be taken the wheeler and the permanent out Sat.

Still 2-4 in most cases. It will be alot different in the next few days. Zero snow out of this storm, so the colds going to be GREAT!

anyone heading out today? if i dont have to work ill be heading out.

anyone know what conditions are like on shields or mazaska thinking of giving one of them a try.

anyone heading out today? if i dont have to work ill be heading out.

anyone know what conditions are like on shields or mazaska thinking of giving one of them a try.

Im going to be heading out to cedar if you want to meet up/tag along. Im gunna tote my roomates house up and will have room for 2 more to sit comfy, a gas auger would be great to have if yall have one smile and a 2nd person would be awesome to set up the house in the wind. I'll be tryin a new lake in the afternoon (Circle lake) around 1-2pm a buddy might be coming with then. Send me a pm if anyone is interested.