• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

OK.... so I have Coyotes......

bigcloud

OK....... so I have Coyotes, over the years we would get an occasional Coyote on a trail camera, this year they are on the cameras constantly, sometimes 2 or 3. I want to take a few out. The area is Elk River, not much for fields, mostly Oak ridges and low areas are Poplars.

What is my best most successful tactic to get these varmints. Give me the a recipe..... night, weapon, caller, day......

suggestions would be great

Thanks

They have great eyes, ears and nose, so you have to be very stealthy! I started with a simple mouth call which didn't cost much and worked great with some practice. The tried and true dying rabbit call is tough to beat. There is a balance of calling too much and too little. Try not to educate them on a dying rabbit equals a human with a gun. Find a coyote hunting video, preferably from the midwest area, and study what they do. If you don't see one it doesn't always mean they are not there. Around here the coyotes eat quite well and may not come running right in like the hungry coyotes out west. They may stop 100+ yards away and survey the situation for awhile. For guns it depends on where you are hunting. Close in tight woods, a shotgun is probably best. If you can see out a ways, your deer rifle will work fine. Fur hunters will use a smaller center fires like .223 or 22-250. Larger bullets will do more fur damage. Also, if you have a deer stand in the area, use it. It will only help to hide you. But like with other types of hunting, get out there and try different things to see what works for you. You will have all winter to practice.

The OP better contact the Elk River Police Dept. to find out if it's legal to hunt/discharge firearms in his location, especially if the spot is in the city limits. Trapping might be a better option, if within city limits.

• 4 weeks later...

I have called in a lot more coyotes playing coyote calls rather then dying animal calls, because they eat pretty well around us. They are pretty territorial so it works well. if you call a coyote into a call and miss it you will probably never get it into another call again. they are very smart. getting a wind that blows left to right or vice versa are the best because the coyotes will circle around and come into the call downwind. a lot of times they are in pairs so if you call one in and kill it. keep calling and sit still chances are that another will come in short afterwards. trapping is also a good way especially if you haven't hunted before. Just find some trails, should be easy with all the snow.

I thought of using the blood from liver to give them the blood smell. That could help cover any odd smells. I figured it may excite the coyotes even more. both rabbit and coyote howl or barking. could bring them in. I have even thought of a tree stand in a pine tree to cover me up.

If you want help shooting them let me know I live around the area and will gladly help you shoot yotes