• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Im going to be sick

ZachD

Sorry this is badly written i copy pasted it from the message I sent my friend and didn't want to retype it.

A nice tall 10 came in with a doe, doe ran off i grunted and estrus bleat at him and he circled around behind my stand 45 yards didnt have a shot and he was just standing there hit the bleat can again and heard something in front of my stand turn around and 6 pointer was 20 yards from me... the both stared at each other for like 30 mins then the 10 started to come to him and when he reached a 25 yard clearing i let him have it.. heard the thwack and the 6 ran away and he just turned and slowly walked 20 yards and just froze and sat there for 15-20 mins hit the grunt and can to try to get him to go closer again to shoot again but he just stood there he was staring at me and even saw me moving but then he walked slowly in front of the swamp and stood there till it got dark then i heard like a sickly weezing in the swamp....... like he had one bad lung or something....

cant find the arrow and no blood it was dark dark when I started looking.... I was almost positive that I had a good shot.. Now I keep second guessing myself did I hit shoulder did I hit a twig and hit a tree.... There was a pretty good thwack when I shot but I am almost positive that it was all deer

sick I hope I can find him in the morning

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZachD

• nofishfisherman

• sticknstring

• Musky Buck

He will go high 140s all day frown i'm going to throw up never had a situation like this. Morning needs to come asap

If all is as you say, I'd bet he's laying in that swamp in the morning. I'd guess he stood there like that trying to figure out how he got his butt whooped by that 6 pointer. Whenever I shoot a buck with my bow I hit the grunt call. More often than not it'll at least stop them so you can get a better look at where you hit. Have a few cold ones and try to get some sleep. And make sure to post the pics when you find him. Good luck!

Lots of things could have happened. Possible that he is lunged or gut shot. Possible the arrow never made it through the other shoulder. Give him the night, it will be plenty cool, go out tomorrow morning when it's light and you might have a new outlook. Take someone with you that will stay positive and keep you positive. I once shot a deer and it dies less than 100 yards from where I shot it, no arrow, no blood, and he doubled back. If not for my father in law staying positive, I would have quit. You will find some sign tomorrow. The buck probably didn't know he was even hit and may not be very far from where you last saw him. Good luck, keep us posted.

Stay positive, sometimes those big old bucks can take an arrow and still hang on for a while. The wheezing sound could be a positive thing, he might be toast. Good luck tomorrow and if you don't find him right away don't give up, stick with it.

Perception is often not reality. But my guess from your brief description: arrow is in him or was for awhile. No exit. He's sick and hurt. Not quickly fatal, but the wheezing is a good sign. You'll find him.

Stay positive, sometimes those big old bucks can take an arrow and still hang on for a while. The wheezing sound could be a positive thing, he might be toast. Good luck tomorrow and if you don't find him right away don't give up, stick with it.

+1

I bet he is long dead now waiting for you in that swamp. You can't do a thing right now so have a beer and relax he will be there tomorrow.

Thank you for the positive words.... maybe it was a high hit thats why there wasnt much blood esp with no exit.... im going to scour over the slough he went into i have tomorrow off so i wont give up till dark

I don't think you will be looking all day. I'm betting tomorrow you will find a trail you can follow and it will take you right too him. I would look over the spot he stood for so long really well.

Sounds like an exciting hunt! And I agree with these guys that he will likely be dead in the swamp in the morning. Those bucks are tough and when their mind is on the ladies they don't want to lay down and die. Because he stuck around after the shot and you didn't push him I like your odds. Try to have a good night and don't forget your camera in the morning.

As long as you didn't bump him.......I'll bet you 100 beers he is dead within a 100 yards wink

Take your time looking for sign in the morning. Don't be afraid to look in places you didn't think he would go (different direction than you saw him going). Also highly likely he is laying in or very near water.

Good luck and can't wait to see the pics in the a.m.!

If you have a gps bring it along. If you can't track him down, make that gps screen look like you are filling an etch a sketch in smile

Good call on backing out when you are unsure of the shot. A pushed deer can go a long ways. Good luck tomorrow...looking forward to seeing some pics.

That's a big swamp! Do you have high-ground entry? Great looking spot. Bring your hip boots tomorrow.

That's a big swamp! Do you have high-ground entry? Great looking spot. Bring your hip boots tomorrow.
full-43444-38749-biggg.png

Oh its big allright

Yea There is a dirt trail that leads to that creek and I follow the creek all the way the banks are high and solid... then i just have to cross a little batch of cattails and I am in... takes about an hour walking... no atvs allowed

This is the one I shot last year there.... This one will put that one to shame

full-43444-38751-2012_11_0309.39.10.jpg

full-43444-38752-398269_519548274723814_

I arrowed an 8 pt. some years ago. Hit him in the shoulder. Arrow was still in him when he ran off. A short time later I heard the wheezing you described. I have him a couple hours and found him where I heard the wheezing. There was very little blood to follow. Just drops.

Your deer will be laying where you heard the wheeze.

I arrowed an 8 pt. some years ago. Hit him in the shoulder. Arrow was still in him when he ran off. A short time later I heard the wheezing you described. I have him a couple hours and found him where I heard the wheezing. There was very little blood to follow. Just drops.

Your deer will be laying where you heard the wheeze.

The thing that trips me up is that when i shot he barley even moved... the 6 point high tailed it out of there and he just walked 20 yards and stood there for the longest time 20 more yards and stood there

But I will find him smile

I hunt spots that look like that all the time. My advice would be to check around that small pond. Look for any trails around it. Also, check some of the main trails that you can see in the swamp. Ask yourself, where have deer emerge from the swamp in the past. Usually there is a main artery they will use. And, look for blood on the tall grass and cattails about the height of the deer's body.

Sometimes they don't realize their hit. Both bucks I've shot in Missouri went 10 and 30 yards respectfully. The one that went 10 was hit through the heart. Went 10 yards and stood for a couple seconds, went to take a step and dropped. The one that went 30 was a high pass through and a P&Y deer. He just stood at 30 yards looking back at where the arrow hit the ground and fell over.

The wheezing sounds good to me. Expect to see pics when I get back from my morning hunt.

Quote:
is that when i shot he barley even moved... and he just walked 20 yards and stood there for the longest time 20 more yards and stood there

Sounds like gut shot to me. If you bumped him last night it's gonna be tough today. Good luck, hopeing for a good report soon.

I am sharing your feelings Zach. Hit a good buck about 15 minutes ago and am agonizing over the shot placement. It was dead on left to right but high. The arrow was lodged in him as he ran off. There was a lot of crashing noises but the area he ran through is full of deadfall so running through there is bound to make a lot of noise. I am going to wait another 15 minutes, back out quietly, and come back around 3 to give him plenty of time.

Hopefully you will have found yours and will pass the good luck onto me!

Based on the way he acted, I would agree that it sounds like a typical gut shot/hit a bit far back deer. I would also note, he sounds like he is hurting bad (which is typical gut shot behavior - think about when you eat something bad and your gut feels like its in knots, you don't want to move and you desperately wait for it to pass).

The positive is, if you didn't push him, he will be dead this morning and he will not have gone far.

Good luck- I hope you find him. I won't speculate on the shot placement or what you should expect to find this morning. I'll happily wish for you to have a good outcome though!!!

Hip waders and time is the recipe for completing your journey on this big buck. Good luck and i'm sure you'll be reporting back with a big smile/buck for all to see!!!

mr

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Do you have someone to help track and pull it out? Give a yell if you need some help this evening tracking. wink