• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Gander Mountain extra wait policy

I bought a gun at Gander Mountain. Actually, I ordered it from their website to be delivered to their local store. I got put on hold because someone else with my first and last name is a knothead. I understand the hold policy. I always get put on hold and am always later approved. The federal wait policy expires after 5 days if there is no action or denial from the feds and the store can turn over the gun.

The local Gander Mountain would not allow me to apply to begin the wait period until they had the gun in their local store. Since they had the serial number from their other facility I was surprised but I did not object.

What I don't understand is the extra wait that is the blanket policy of Gander Mountain. Their policy adds 3 days. The rude customer service guy claimed that it was necessary because of holiday concerns. There was no holiday. He wanted to argue rather than solve any problem.

I also bought a gun from WalMart for use by my minor son. I have that already in my possession, which the feds blessed. Gander claims to not have received word, and then will add 3 days extra after the 5 days even though it is not required by the feds.

I will not ever buy anything from them again. There is no excuse to add a policy which does nothing but hurt their customers.

Personally I have never understood why anybody does business with G. Mountain. Whole lotta slow learners out there I guess.

Tell Gander Mt. to keep their gun and buy from a reputable gun dealer. I heard so many complaints about Gander recently it is a wonder that they are still in business. I don't like to wish bad things on people but I hope the writing is on the wall for them.

I would love to cancel but I am hoping still to get the gun in time for my trip. Another purchase will start the wait time from day zero. If I don't get it in time I will certainly cancel.

Gander was convenient for me but I made a big mistake not just using a local shop. The prices on new guns are all pretty much the same anyway.

The 8 day policy is bad. The customer service is terrible - He actually tried to make it my fault!

Actually, no. I know the laws very well after having assisted more than one entity with obtaining a license.

I dunno Gordie, I've heard nothing but terrible things from there. Especially that new gunsmith they hired. What was his name again? wink

Bahaha.

I plan to do a little business with the good folks of keelers after deer season is complete. Even if their new hire wears KOTC glasses smile

I first ordered the gun from Gander, then a day later bought a second gun from WalMart. I have had the gun from WalMart for several days, yet Gander still has me on delay. The 5 day wait mandated by the feds has expired.

This has been a terrible customer experience. Never again.

Next time make the trip to Capra's in Blaine and talk to Jerry or Hollywood. I can assure you and anyone else that your service will be nothing less than 100% of your expectations. These guys know guns and sell 1000's (yes 1000's) of guns every year. Jerry's attention to customer service and satisfaction is second to none and you wont find two guys with more collective knowelege on product. They will get you and fit you to the exact firearm your looking for and make it a postive exciting experience!

He wanted to argue rather than solve any problem.

Rude customer service is inexcusable.

Company policy that inconveniences you is certainly a reason to shop elsewhere, and that is your choice (as it is the company's choice to have that policy).

Demanding an employee or even a store manager break with company policy designed to protect against fraud and liability can be pretty rude too, depending on how it's worded.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

who in the world would also want to be named 3ball?? wink good luck getting it in time!

I have bought 2 guns at Capra's and the experience was very good. They actually wanted to talk to me and answer questions. Imagine that.

Mwal

Demanding an employee or even a store manager break with company policy designed to protect against fraud and liability can be pretty rude too, depending on how it's worded.

No such demand or request was made. I inquired as to way the policy was in place when it exceeded federal law and person wanted to argue at that point.

I don't believe that the policy is designed to protect against liability or fraud. I believe it is in place because they have no faith in their employees. WalMart, which is criticized for getting bargain basement employees, got it done -- Gander could not.

I called tonight. They said that I was still on hold. I them asked how it is that they compute the 8 days, and after counting they stated that 8 days had expired.

Edit: Ooops. Now they called back and said that it had to be tomorrow. Unbelievable.

3ball, Sems every third time or so I also get put on hold to a fellow with the same name as mine. Always approved approx 2-4 days later if I am put on hold, other times no issue at all.

One gun dealer explained to me that there is a card and a number one can get from the Gov so when you buy a gun and are put on hold, the dealer can give them this number and u will be approved.

I did not apply for this number as I am never in that big of a hurry when I purchase a gun.

If you buy enough guns and don't like the wait or hold, one could apply for this card.

I do not remember the name of the card but I am sure a dealer could tell you.

I first ordered the gun from Gander, then a day later bought a second gun from WalMart. I have had the gun from WalMart for several days, yet Gander still has me on delay. The 5 day wait mandated by the feds has expired

I does not help you made another purchase, from another FFL in a short time. Might of threw up a red flag with the wonderful Government run operation. I know if you buy 2 handguns from the the same dealer it throws red flags up big time! Just my $.02

Not only is it ridiculous to add three days, but the actual wait time isn't 5 days, but 3 business days (so only 5 if a weekend is in there).

Everyone: Stop buying from Gander.

• 2 weeks later...

Besides they are just about the most expensive place to buy a gun or anything for that matter. Go to Cabelas, Fleetfarm, Joes anywhere but Gander.

You keep arguing is that their in-house policy exceeds the federal statute. Thats totally fine. The federal law is the bare minimum. States can add more time to that wait, as can private companies.

The point is simple, just don't but from Gander. I know you have figured that out already. They can do what they are doing. Whether its poor service or a policy to protect from liability, it doesn't matter, they can make you wait a month. You want something that they have for sale. Its all part of the song and dance. And it sucks.

I bought a gun at Gander Mountain. Actually, I ordered it from their website to be delivered to their local store. I got put on hold because someone else with my first and last name is a knothead. I understand the hold policy. I always get put on hold and am always later approved. The federal wait policy expires after 5 days if there is no action or denial from the feds and the store can turn over the gun.

The local Gander Mountain would not allow me to apply to begin the wait period until they had the gun in their local store. Since they had the serial number from their other facility I was surprised but I did not object.

What I don't understand is the extra wait that is the blanket policy of Gander Mountain. Their policy adds 3 days. The rude customer service guy claimed that it was necessary because of holiday concerns. There was no holiday. He wanted to argue rather than solve any problem.

I also bought a gun from WalMart for use by my minor son. I have that already in my possession, which the feds blessed. Gander claims to not have received word, and then will add 3 days extra after the 5 days even though it is not required by the feds.

I will not ever buy anything from them again. There is no excuse to add a policy which does nothing but hurt their customers.

Sorry but you can't do a 4473 ahead of time. If they don't have the gun in their store they can't enter it into their system therefore you can't start the process of buying the gun. Even if they know the serial number they can't put it into the books because it's not in their possession. If they put it into their books prior to getting it and it gets lost/stolen during shipping they would be responsible for it. The ATF aint no joke(lol). Basically it just doesn't work that way.

Their extra wait policy stinks!